FSX:SE Crash on Splash Screen with Windows 10

Hello everyone, I recently downloaded Microsoft Flight Simulator from Steam and downloaded it fully, but I am having a bit of a problem getting into the game. Here's what happens.

- I double click on my game and it loads the steam setup window aswell as the SimConnect and other things windows, and I click accept both times when required.

- Then the Splash Screen appears from FSX with the logo and a background and stays for about 20 seconds before I get a windows error, "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working," and I am unable to troubleshoot or wait for the program to find a fix.

- I've been searching on the internet for a few days and haven't found a similar problem that was able to fix my game, I have tried compatibility mode, firewall, a new fsx.cfg, and verifying game files. Nothing seems to work, so I thought I'd try to find a solution on here.

Below is my Error Report from the Event Viewer.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: ui.dll, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab4

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000484fb

Faulting process id: 0x2a28

Faulting application start time: 0x01d2aaf5ffc6ed35

Faulting application path: C:\Users\coope\Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Users\coope\Desktop\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\ui.dll

Report Id: 542724ff-7c25-45c8-aeef-a52cfd042424

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks if you can help, I appreciate it, and one last thing, if anyone needs a file or anything similar, please do tell me how to get it, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to that, sorry.

- Bat

Try going into your FSX.cfg file with NotePad. Make a back-up copy of it first, and when you start NotePad, click on Run As Administrator. Never use a word processor, like MSWord. They add several symbols to the file that make it unusable to the Sim.

Scan down to the heading [uSERINTERFACE], and under that heading is a line that reads SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM . That is the default flight. Yours may be different. Delete everything after the "=" sign, so all that's remaining is SITUATION= .

Save the file, exit, and try starting the sim.

I get this problem sometimes, and this fixes it every time. I've even made a desktop shortcut to the folder the FSX.cfg file is in, to make it quicker and easier to get to the file, and edit it.

Hope this helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for the replies guys, zippy, the suggestion about verifying game files didn't work sadly. I also updated my drivers and that didn't work.

Phantom, thanks for helping, but I do have one problem, when I go into my fsx.cfg file, which I somehow messed up because there are two cfg files, one name fsx.cfg, and one named fsx.cfg.txt with the same exact words inside.

Anyways, when I click on the regular fsx.cfg file and open with Notepad, all I see is

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693751040

[sOUND]

AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000

and nothing else? Is this another problem I need to fix or am I simply in the wrong place? I'm in Windows 10 and went to AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/SFX to find the files.

Any help? Thanks.

Ignore FSX.cfg.txt! It affects nothing. I think because you never get past the "Splash" screen, it never builds a real FSX.cfg. Has this Sim ever worked for you? If yes, then go to your My Documents folder and look for the folder labeled Flight Simulator X Files. Open it and delete your Logbook.bin file. Now start your Sim to see if it will work.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If the FSX.CFG really only contains what you wrote, then delete the file completely. FSX will generate a completely new file next time you start FSX.

And as lesh says, run FSX as Administrator. To do that, right-click on the FSX icon in your start menu or on your desktop, then select Properites from the menu. Go to the compatibility tab and check the box with the text "Run this program as Administrator". Then click Apply and OK.

Jorgen

Alrighty, first and foremost, zippy, I haven't gotten fully into the game yet, ever since I bought and downloaded FSX:SE it has been crashing on the Splash Screen. I selected 'run as administrator' in the properties as lesh asked aswell.

Jorgen, I went into my Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/fsx.CFG file and deleted it, and then I started up FSX and obviously it crashed again at the Splash Screen, but after going back into the CFG (which I open with Notepad if it matters) I still see the same settings.

Am I going to have to verify or reinstall or something? Again, I haven't opened the game yet if that does anything with the CFG.

Thanks.

Yeah, I haven't gotten into the game and I don't see anything in This PC/Documents named FSX or Flight Simulator, nor do I see logbook.bin anywhere else in my files so I'm not sure if I should have that file somewhere or not.

Yeah, I haven't gotten into the game and I don't see anything in This PC/Documents named FSX or Flight Simulator, nor do I see logbook.bin anywhere else in my files so I'm not sure if I should have that file somewhere or not.

Use the Search feature of your computer and look for files and folders. Insert Logbook.bin and search! Do you have a folder on your computer named "My Documents"? That's where it hides.

Make sure you have "show hidden files and folders, as well as show hidden file extensions". This is in My Computer/Folder/options.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

open a file explorer window. see the scrollbar on theleft? next to the left pane with an overview of all your folders/disks.

drag that scrollbar up. The Documents folder is almost at the top in the left pane. Below: desktop, downloads, recent locations. (in the "favourites" section)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guys, but again, like I said, I don't have any FSX or Flight Simulator folder OR files IN my Documents. I don't have a place called "My Documents" either, it's just Documents for me, but there's nothing in my computer, as I've done a complete search, that is called logbook.bin, and I haven't been in the game to even get a flight log if that's what logbook.bin is.

• 1 month later...

Hello again, it's been a while because I've gone to Europe recently to visit some family.

Anyways, I'm back now, and I've reinstalled my FSX-SE a couple times just to make sure everything is okay, but I still don't get any response. The same error occurs from last I played. Anything else I can do at this point?

• 1 year later...

This may be a result of the initial Win 10 install and not Win 10 Updates...

Basically FSX-SE is the same as the boxed version of FSX Deluxe with the Acceleration addon pack. It has been tweaked by Dovetail to include most of the common tweaks that would normally be added manually to the boxed version and looking at the basic system requirements they are exactly the same as those of the boxed version. There are a number of early OS based 'libraries' that are needed by the boxed version and I am not sure if they are automatically provided as part of the FSX-SE package. They are, however, missing from a default vanilla install of Win 10.

Using the Program and Features option look to see what versions of the following items you have installed:

Visual C++ Runtime Libraries - FSX requires versions 2005 and 2008.

.NET Framework Libraries - FSX requires versions 3.5 and 4.

If these are missing I suggest downloading and installing them to see if that resolves the issue - see post #4 on this THREAD for details.

Another source of the issue could be the Direct X (DX) version(s) you have installed. Newer versions of DX are supposedly backward compatible so that games/apps etc that used earlier versions can work. However, from experience of using the boxed version of FSX in Win 10 and replying to other user threads where they had problems, I suspect that this is not the case when it comes to Win 10 and FSX which requires DX Version 9c. Again see the link posted above for details regarding a possible fix.

Regards

Brian