Ground Vehicle Question-- What file types can be used, what can't?

b3burner

I'll start off by saying that I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct section or not, but since it's more about cars than planes, I thought I'd give it a go. Feel free to move my post to regular FSX, if any mods feel it's more appropriate over there.

I know very little about ground vehicles in FSX, but I'm curious to learn more. My primary aim is not racing persay, but rather just an appreciation of stock classic cars in general.

I found a CGI website with many cars from around the world, both new and classic/antique. However, I have no idea-- simply looking at the file extension names-- whether these can be ported over to FSX or not. I asked the people at the website, and they said they had no idea... I would have to ask people specifically in my gaming community. So here it is. I'll post a link, as I don't know if posting an image of someone else's licensed material is appropriate:

https://www.cgstud.io/3d-model/ford-ltd-1971-38835

Looking at this, can anyone tell me if I could use this in FSX? The price is outrageous, as I think it is for professional cinematic CGI, but since there is a shortage of these cars anywhere in simulation-- and I particularly love the large "box-body" American "land-yachts" of the late 60's/early 70's-- I'd almost be nuts enough to pay it, if I thought it could work.

I almost get the impression that the offerings in Grand Theft Auto Five probably come closer to the types of vehicles I'm interested in, but I'm not really interested in entering the realm of a completely different game, just to get the classic cars I want.

If someone could please clue me in as to how car modeling in simulation works, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

-- John

No. This IS the right place. This forum was set up by O.K. Daley as a place to discuss anything 'FSX Vehicles' related. He made the LeMans4FSX Race Track (scenery) and is at this moment learning how to make the vehicles. Not sure what he is using. I imagine 3DS as he communicates with Erwin Welker and Erwin uses 3DS to make ships and vehicles (search for 'Posrsche 918' - uploaded yesterday). OK has posted many videos of his scenery and vehicles (which he picked up from 'open source' but have no animation what so ever) on YouTube. Welker re-did Jessy Corrales P911. Not sure where he got the P918 but you might ask him.

Those models say '*.3ds' and the textures (*.jpg) so by using a model converter program and a texture converter (to *.bmp or *.dds) they might just work in FSX. Not familiar with anything 'modeling' so only repeating what I have seen posted on forums. Milton Shupe is one source you can try. He is always helping people trying to learn modeling. I believe he uses GMAX though. There's hope and TONS of info on everything about modeling on the net. The stuff in GTA5 is not convertible to something that will work in FSX so forget about those models. Good luck with the steep learning curve (3 years?). Myself? I tried but then gave up. Just too much work. And for what? There are vehicles out there for FSX already. Here is example. Link:

. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

No. This IS the right place. This forum was set up by O.K. Daley as a place to discuss anything 'FSX Vehicles' related.

Oh okay, well thanks and glad I found the right place.

Those models say '*.3ds' and the textures (*.jpg) so by using a model converter program and a texture converter (to *.bmp or *.dds) they might just work in FSX.

Interesting, though I'm not sure how I would access an .mdl file to do the converting-- I have always thought that end users are not allowed access to the .mdl files (for anti-piracy reasons). I guess that's a Milton Shupe question and/or I can ask the person that I last spoke with at the CGI website, whether he could convert the .3ds to .mdl (as a condition for my purchasing it). Guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not familiar with anything 'modeling' so only repeating what I have seen posted on forums. Milton Shupe is one source you can try. He is always helping people trying to learn modeling. I believe he uses GMAX though.

Oh yeah... I'm aware of gmax, have heard of it before, but not worked with modeling myself.

There's hope and TONS of info on everything about modeling on the net.

Okay, will have a look.

The stuff in GTA5 is not convertible to something that will work in FSX so forget about those models.

Darn... too bad, because some of those are pretty nice. I like the 80's Crown Vics they run around in, and I've seen some nice older Cadillacs, Impalas, Ford Galaxies, etc.

Good luck with the steep learning curve (3 years?).

Oh dear Lord! I'm not sure I was interested in doing my own modeling... I'm mainly interested in learning how to utilize the stuff I already see out there that I like.

Myself? I tried but then gave up. Just too much work. And for what? There are vehicles out there for FSX already.

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

Here is example. Link:

Cool! Checked a few of the vids out. Very nice.

Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

• 2 months later...

Hi John:

I just became aware of your post the other day. Sorry I missed it. I have been buried in working on Nurburgring for at least a few months more, and thought I would get a heads up on posts in email - opps ! So I checked recently instead -

Those are some nice looking models which seem expensive. To skip the do it yourself cad cam phase or working with engineering drawings, as these models do come in .3ds - look at Maya and 3dsMax from AutoDesk. These programs are a lot to learn before porting for FSX so save instances of your progress. For FSX, look at Model Converter X which is not hard to learn -

Now to make your cars work - download one of my slower cars like one of the Corvette Pace Cars, and use the air file, and play with the config file - Contact points are very critical but the ones in the configs should serve your car well.

Eventually you will have your car -

I will check in again once I can take a break from Nurburgring development -

I wish you the best in your car building !

Best Regards,

Orion -

Archived