FSX Night Lighting Problem

Hi there,

I am suddenly having problems with my night lighting in FSX.

In the last couple of days I have been adjusting my settings to improve my FPS.

But today, I loaded FSX at HAAB at night-time, and I have no runway lights, no apron lights, and also no lights at any other airports.

fsx_lightproblem.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

The lines

//RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.27 //scales edge, center, end, touchdown, runways

//RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.77 // scales VASI lights)

//RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.77 // scales approach light bars

//RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.77 //scales RAILs and ODALs) 262144

under the heading [Display] are the lines in your FSX.cfg that control the lights. There is a short explanation of what each line controls in the lines above. I made mine a little unbalanced, as you see above, so I can see the carrier lights better. Just for my set-up, though.

I would start with all lines set to 1.0 and adjust from there. A type of light is too bright, make the number smaller, like 0.8 . Too dim, make it larger, like 1.2 .

Make back-ups of the .cfg file as you go. This will prevent what seems to have happened to you. At the very worst, you can just go back to the backed up .cfg file that worked before you made a change, and proceed from there. At the very very very wurst, just rename your FSX.CFG file to FSX_BAK.cfg or something similar, and restart FSX. It will then create a new .cfg file, with all default settings restored, and you can then start from the beginning. Again. It happens.

Bear in mind that for changes to the .cfg to become effective, you need to shut down FSX completely, and re-start it, not just restart a plane or flight. The whole sim.

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I agree with Pat! This is how mine are set up under [Display]

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Ok, I don't know what else to do.

I didn't have those sections in my FSX.cfg, so I added them myself, and it didn't work.

I have also tried:

• Replacing the halo texture

• Deleting my CFG and letting FSX rebuild it

• Replacing the CFG with an older backup

Aside from a clean reinstall (please no), I don't know what else to do. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everybody's will be different, depending on their personal taste, should they choose to change this particular section of the FSX.cfg file.

Actually, once you start making changes to the FSX.CFG, it can become an unending task. You'll read about a new tweak someone found to try, or a new entry that changes something for the better. It just keeps on going :)

Anyway, enjoy!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Ummm....

When you added in those lines I posted, you DID take the "//" off the front, didn't you? I know, it sounds like a silly question, buuuuttt....

Did you, if you took the slashes off, try kicking them up to some rediculuous value, like 5, or 7, or, something? Just to see what happens?

I'm just throwing out the few ideas that my poor little brain manages to come up with.

I don't know if they'll halp a'tall...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I did remove them.

I would like to get this working, because my monitor brightness won't stay, and keeps resetting.

As recently as a week ago, I still had airport lights.

As for turning them up, I haven't tried that yet, but right now it is almost midnight here in Australia, it will have to wait until tomorrow, I will keep all posted.

If you already haven't done this, since you did a bunch of wholesale changes to your FSX.cfg, take a few minutes to check these settings.

1. Settings/Customize/Graphics Global Texture Resolution slider MAXED.

2. Advanced Animations Checked.

3. Settings/Customized/Scenery Special Effects Detail slider MAXED.

4. Settings/Customized/Scenery Scenery Complexity slider MAXED.

5. Settings/Customized/Scenery Land Detail Textures Checked.

I have a Mickey Mouse Computer but this is how I have my settings and all airport lighting works fine.

Sorry, forgot the most important screenshot. Turn on the airport night lighting switch!;)

airport lighting.JPG

If you already haven't done this, since you did a bunch of wholesale changes to your FSX.cfg, take a few minutes to check these settings.

1. Settings/Customize/Graphics Global Texture Resolution slider MAXED.

2. Advanced Animations Checked.

3. Settings/Customized/Scenery Special Effects Detail slider MAXED.

4. Settings/Customized/Scenery Scenery Complexity slider MAXED.

5. Settings/Customized/Scenery Land Detail Textures Checked.

I have a Mickey Mouse Computer but this is how I have my settings and all airport lighting works fine.

Sorry, forgot the most important screenshot. Turn on the airport night lighting switch!;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]197023[/ATTACH]

Where is this airport night lighting switch? As you can see, I don't have it. [emoji45]

37223402f42d5125481e952d51f702b9.jpg

No airport night lighting switch? This could be serious! Next you will tell me that you have no drain plug for the water setting slider! How will you keep your lakes and oceans from draining?:p;)

OK, back to being serious.....did you check and make sure your settings look like what I've shown...minus the airport night light switch? Did it help with the night lighting of the runways?

I haven't had a chance to check, and I am at work now, so will be quite a few hours before I can check.

OK, sounds good! Work....work?? that word sounds familiar, but I just can't place it. Musta been something I did in a past life!

"Work" is a four-letter word, that ends in "K".

I'll thank you not to use it around me! Such foul language! How can you dare use a word like that in a family oriented forum! Goodness gracious...

:D :D :p :pilot:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived