Question regarding resolution

I run a flight simulator p3d through a 1920x1080 tv.

Within the simulator settings itself I can select a 4K texture resolution. Will I still only be able to see 1080p through my TV?

I know that may be a bit of a dumb question to some people but will I see any difference between changing that setting or am I just wasting FPS?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Texture resolution has nothing to do with panel resolution. What that setting does, is to tell the simulator how large the texture "pictures" painted on the sim objects are allowed to be (like aircraft liveries, clouds, ground, water and the textures in the VC). The larger they are, the more you can zoom in on them - theoretically. Not all textures actually are 4k though, that slider is only setting a maximum - the simulator will scale down higher res textures if you set it to 1k or 2k.

4k textures will cost a few FPS, but most importantly they consume VAS. Using textures that really are 4k will bring you closer to an OOM.

Thank you that explains my thoughts lol.

I only fly ga so I don't really get oom's.

However, I have notified if I set my texture resolution to 4k, it doesn't save. I even changed it on the cfg and it will still only load to 2k :-/

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Setting your FSX texture size ('resolution' is a totally 'wrong' word to use) is completely different animal compared to setting your tv resolution (total pixel count). One does not compensate (or alter / set) the other. FSX default texture size is 1024. You can change to 2048 or even 4096 but as soon as you make ANY change in 'display/options' it re-sets to 1024. The tv resolution is 'set' to a 'native' res. You can't change that. You CAN buy the same make & model with a higher REFRESH rate (ie: 60 hz -vs- 120 hz) and THAT will make a difference as to what you see on the screen (object sizes, sharpness of text, motion blurr, etc). A 'tv' is a poor substitute for a good 'monitor'. A monitor, with QHD res, will always be a better choice, when you consider what is 'adjustable' in order for you to get good results. A tv ain't 'adjustable'. Get a monitor.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi Chuck,

the OP is using P3D, where you can set the texture resolution to 1024 - 2048 - 4096 with a drop down control in the GUI (and it is labelled as "resolution"). The "1024 reset" - was only present in FSX.

• 1 month later...

hi,

The resolution actually is telling that how much texture is allowed to be drawn on the sim object. Under normal circumstances they are bigger, you can zoom in more of them. But not all of the textures are actually 4k. If you want to feel the impact of resolution, I suggest you can import the video into the mov compressor program, and then adjust the resolution, and you can find the difference.

Archived