Help please, can't remove browser, possible trojan.

ColR1948

I downloaded a few aircraft and scenery files from a Brazilian site, a while later i went online and my browser came up with a new search screen.

At first there was something about viid.me then it went to this search page about earning money.

So I changed my search engine back to Google and looked it up, the links I got all said it was malware so I activate Malwarebytes, this found a few of those PUP files which I deleted.

I did a restart but still this page came up when I clicked on my firefox, I downloaded Hitman pro and that found some more malware which I again deleted, still this page came up.

I've tried different things to get rid of it but no joy, I set my firefox to only load Google but this page comes up as the default search.

Anyone else had this and if so what is the cure please?

Do you have Superantispyware freeware version installed? This might help but you are probably looking at a complete harddrive wipe to get rid of that garbage. You better hope it ain't checking out your bank accounts!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I will have to go on my laptop to do any of that till I get this sorted.

I have also done a Virus scan but it found nothing.

Also a couple of sites claiming to get rid of this, when you go on and look they want money for a removal tool, I've seen this before so I didn't fall for it.

Have you tried refreshing Firefox?

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Procedures-to-diagnose-and-fix/Refresh-Firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings/ta-p/23405

Note that this will only affect Firefox. If there is indeed a system wide infection, a reinstall is about the only way to be 100% sure it was removed. No anti-virus or anti-malware program is 100% effective.

I think I may have cured it, I downloaded Chrome and the the default search came up as Google, so I uninstalled Firefox.

So possibly this trouble page somehow got itself in there and was hiding, I tried all sorts on Firefox to get rid but obviously it didn't work.

Yes, no surprise there..........google search will be loaded as default by Chrome.....because Chrome is also by Google.........

Actually all you needed to do in Firefox was to reset the 'home' page to your liking by simply dragging and dropping the Tab onto the Homepage button OR by going into the Firefox settings and setting it there. I suspect that the 'rogue' page was loading as default simply because it had set itself as default.

If you re-install Firefox it should function as normal and load whatever page is loaded by default when Firefox is first run. Then set Google as your 'home page as normal

Regards

Brian

What site did you download these aircraft from? Whilst I'm not pointing any fingers, it does sound like some catch from a piracy site which will generally fill your PC up with nastys!

If you need aircraft and scenery, stick to known sites such as here, Simviation and Avsim for your download needs. :)

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

What site did you download these aircraft from? Whilst I'm not pointing any fingers, it does sound like some catch from a piracy site which will generally fill your PC up with nastys!

I agree! Please tell us the name of the site which caused problems. That, IMHO is the best way to prevent further spread of these issues!!:eek::eek:

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

OK, it took me a while to find it again but here it is:

http://fsprobrasilserveroficial.blogspot.co.uk/

I downloaded a few aircraft plus I saw FS Global Weather, I thought it might be a trial or something but I opened it, I paid the price of not purchasing because this was the only one I opened.

I have also deleted the other stuff I got from the site as well, I'm not taking any chances.

My word.... 😂

It's a freeware site which to me looks like some guy downloaded his favourite mods and stuck them all on a blogspot page. All of these mods are avalible on other websites, I'd stay clear anything that you wouldn't trust.

----------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel for more Simulator and Gaming content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/drawyahgames?sub_confirmation=1

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

Hi Brian,

I actually deleted FF and started using Chrome, it seemed a bit faster but I missed a few things in FF.

Any way I decided to download FF again and I installed it, you were right that annoying page didn't show plus I got a nice surprise, it remembered all my bookmarks, I thought I was going to have to start over again.

Archived