A380 & Autothrottle (problem)

martinstebbing

I am flying the PA A380 and using Charrier Matthieu's panel (a380pv1.zip). It's a pretty nice panel, but the autothrottle always goes crazy, especially when not in level flight (seems to calm down and work better after I've been at cruise altitude a while). The airspeed jumps up and down by as much as 100kts. With the A/Thr off, it's a little more stable, but you still have to keep a very close eye on it and keep moving the throttles to check overspeeds (or impending stalls), which on long-haul flights is not always practical. In essence, the throttles have an immediate effect on the engines (N1 & N2 gauges), but at the same time very little on the indicated airspeed. Something's not right. My throttle is a Saitek X52 by the way.... Maybe I can do something with FSUIPC?

Anyone else have this panel - and have the same issue? If it's just me, what could the problem be?

If there were a really good payware panel for the a380, I'd probably buy it, but I don't think there's anything out there.

Thanks.

Are you turning on the Pitot Tube heat

Yes, I am, thanks....

That said though, I have had one or two instances recently where the speed indicator (in one or two other aircraft apart from the a380) suddenly dips to zero, and as you say, all hell breaks loose. I immediately checked the pitot, but I always have this as part of my taxi checklists, and it was definitely on. At least the panel pitot gauge showed as on... maybe it's not connecting properly to the sim on this panel, though that doesn't explain why I have suddenly had this in one or two other flights recently (for the first time), apart from with the a380.

EDIT: When I press Shift+H on the keyboard a few times, the pitot indicator in the cockpit and on the overhead panel lights up and goes out again, so I suppose it is connecting as it should.

Engine anti-ice is 'H' (toggles - just like pitot heat (Shift+H)). 'Pressing it a few times' toggles it 'on-off-on-?'. You should see light when 'on'. If no light then just press once for 'ON'.

Chuck B

Napaule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

'H' doesn't change the overhead panel lights for de-icing, so I suppose they are just cosmetic. When I get the issue again, I'll press 'H' on the keyboard and see if that helps...

EDIT: Flew the a380 again today and no A/Thr problems - but having pressed H a few times to test, I soon lost track of whether the anti-icing was on or off! So I made new, simple XML files for these four switches and now I can either turn the four de-icing switches on, one by one, or I can press 'H', when they now all four light up. I suppose that in that case that means they must be working. I'll wait until I get the same autothrottle problems and test again..

Now that you mention it...

I also have a recurring issue where the indicated airspeed will drop to zero and recover after about 30-60 seconds. I don't use autothrottle, so it doesn't affect performance...just a momentary alert to my scan. It occurs in many aircraft and with or without pitot heat on. Seems like it is always in conditions conducive to icing.

After the first few times it occurred, I stopped panicking, but would like a fix if there is one...anyone know???

Nadlzfw

This throttle surging issue crops up from time to time. One cause which is often quoted is a 'noisy' joystick throttle axis which is sending signals now and then, and over-riding your autothrottle gauge. Make sure the joystick throttle is fully forward or back before engaging autothrottle (one or other will work for you), and for the icing part of the equation, switch on ALL the ice protection switches you can find, not just the pitot heat.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I am getting the loss of flight instruments on all the aircraft I have flown since my original post... the speed indicator suddenly goes to zero and N1/N2 go way up.

This is new - never had this issue in years of flying these same aircraft. The speed indication returns after a minute or so, but what could be causing a problem globally, across several a/c? I still have H set to CarbHeat/eng anti-ice and Shift+H as pitot heat in FS9 ...

I am getting the loss of flight instruments on all the aircraft I have flown since my original post...

Are you flying in the Bermuda area by any chance??? Seriously though - which aircraft and panels are they? Have you made any modifications to them recently?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Are you just using keyboard commands for the heat switches, or do you physically click the overhead ice protection and heat switches? - I ask because some switches aren't aliased to the standard FS keyboard commands.

If you're starting from a cold and dark saved flight, maybe some sytems aren't initialising correctly or completely? On the Airbus overhead panel there may be electrical feed switches to align as well as Gen1-Gen2 On/Off, for example.

Archived