Why cant I attach a zipfile? I see others that can.

il88pp

What is the way to do this.

I can't attach .zip files to a post, but I do occasionally see someone posting a zip file attached.

When I go to "manage attachments" I see this. And .zip file is listed there.

But when I try, even a file 938 bytes in size won't attach.

Can someone teach me how to do this please?

il.

attachments 2.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't have an example ready. But what I saw was a post with at the bottom "attachments" like normally happens sometimes also when image doesn't show in body of post but below it.

That's where the zip then was. (not also an image in that example, just the zip.)

I'm thinking it may have been in an old thread that was stirred up again. Maybe i used to be possible, and no longer.

However it still lists zip option in the attachment editing screen below "advanced post".

PS: I see textfiles as well sometimes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And if you click it to download, browser says:

"You have chosen to open following file:

FSX--- etc

This is: Text document (1.1kb)

So it's not downloading from Stringbeans file hosting server.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dangnabbit!:D

It may have just been too large!

I will attempt to make a really small zip as well. Let 7zip churn away at the highest compression ration or something.:)

But still. If even a zimple zipped folder earlier, with only a short textfile in it, zip less then a kb, was too big, compression may not be enough.

Still not 100% sure if it's possible at all.

test.txt

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need to rename your zimple zipped folder zimple.zip.txt and then provide instructions for your intended end user to rename it back to zimple.zip so they can extract it and use it. Been that way as long as I can remember (which is about 30 seconds admittedly). :)

Wow, thanks! Nifty!

I tried and it worked well. File size limit seems smaller for '.txt' files though.

For images limit is about 480kb.

a .zip.txt of 1kb worked ok,

but 300kb did not.

I tried being clever and used .zip.jpg rename. But that also won't upload. Maybe it sees it as a damaged image file.

I'll go try out different txt files and file sizes untill I find the sweetspot.

Thanks you so much!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The choices did NOT say they allow '7ZIP'. Only 'zip. Winzip extension on zips is 'zip' and not '7zip' so maybe that is why?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Ah, no, it was a .zip file alright. 7zip can make .zips too you know.

Jim, I found this thread where you explain a lot. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?228536-Adding-Attachments

file size .zip max 20kb I see.

That was then, and back then .jpg max was 195kb, which now is more then that. Max zip size may now have increased as well. However 20, or even 40kb would still be way too small for what I want to upload.

Pondering other options.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived