Static Object Libraries

usb777

Would it be better to keep all your static objects in one folder or keep them separate like one for E-Z Scenery and Runway12. Would combining them I don't know be better on the program? Also, where on the installed scenery list would be best or does that matter?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

What about the duplicate entries? Is that good to have them for some reason like the locations or something?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

By duplicate 'file names' I mean just that and not duplicate 'entries' of the same file

For example two separate libraries (say called Lib1 and Lib2) may have texture files called ABC.bmp and ABCD.bmp - in Lib1 the ABC.bmp file may be a car object, in Lib2 a tree object. The ABCD.bmp could be reversed so becoming a tree in Lib1 and car object in Lib2.

Each individual item is assigned what is called a GUID (an alpha-numerical ID) and this is used to reference the objects within the libraries' when objects are placed within a scenery, which in turn is stored within the .bgl scenery file. Basically, when the .bgl file is loaded by FSX, it references the GUID to display the correct item.

If you use a single folder to store all objects then, in the case of the example above, if you install Lib1 first and then Lib2 when you install Lib2 it will, depending on your system settings, either automatically overwrite files or ask you if you want to overwrite the original or rename the new files. If you answer

A. yes - it will overwrite,

B. no - it will ask to rename the file or automatically assign a new name based on the old name with additional characters - ABC(1).bmp for example.

Thus, depending on what action was used:

If A - Any scenery that uses the Lib1 package will not display trees and cars as the GUIDs don't match. Those that use Lib2 will display correctly.

If B - Any scenery that uses the Lib1 package will display trees and cars correctly as the GUIDs match. Those that use Lib2 MAY display correctly as the GUIDs match a file reference BUT IME are more likely not to display at all or with issues as the filename will not be recognised. the issues range from a partially drawn object, black squares or 'failure to load' error message.

Regards

Brian

Mmm, thanks, still learning. I see sometimes using my instant Scenery a few files with double entries and wondered if the are indeed duplicates and if it is just wasting space.

Mike G.

Hi Mike,

I don't own or use Instant Scenery (IS). My observations are based on my experience of using Airport Design Editor (ADE) and installing Scenery Object Libraries and other scenery packages.

ADE has a 'library' tool for importing objects from scenery libraries so that they can be placed into scenery. When viewing an object prior to adding it, it displays the GUID that I mentioned in my last post. Maybe there is some way that you can do the same in IS to check out if the files are really 'duplicates'.

Regards

Brian

• 3 years later...