Block the Steam ads from the Home page???

Just returning to FSX after a long layover.

After reinstalling the sim & booting up for the first time, I find all those ads from steam on the home page.

I have the boxed version of the sim & enjoy the privilege of booting it up without the hassle of having to log into steam.

At least with fsinsider, you were able to get some info & articles concerning the sim, not just ads.

I have been searching throughout the FSX files, probably somewhere in an .xml file, but haven't been able to locate the reference to fsinsider or steam.

It seems M$ designed Windows defender to not block any advertisements.

If someone knows the file name to access and/or how to block the access to the homepage from any third party, it would be greatly appreciated.

OGG

One option is to put your modem in standby while flying.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

It's just a end product of the 'Net' now a days having to be 'funded' by ads. You are being tracked and ads appropriate or 'relevant' (based on what demographic you 'fit') are being pumped your way. Might as well get used to it. Same with pop ups offering 'Update' (for $) and if it's a new 'driver' it's just so you go visit their page and they can then 'present' you with ads. It's a visious circle. You shop. They target. You buy. They target more. That's life. You can't have everything..what you see is what you get.. El Cid and all that stuff.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Well, I see one (1) "popup" promotional, ad-type window when starting up Steam but that is ALL - ever. I'm with Zippy, I guess, cause I almost never, ever see adverts anywhere else: I also use Adblocker plus. And Privacy Badger that trys to identify and block/remove tracking cookies. I also Opted Out, supposedly from Google Analytics - Don't guarantee how well that works but over all I am "confused" by complaints about ads... I just don't see them apparently like others do. Even short video ads on YouTube; nope.

Ain't nuthin' magical 'bout me.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

If you're concerned about the pop-up ads that display every time you start *Steam* (not FSX:SE per se), then you'll find your solution under Steam > Settings > Interface > Uncheck "Notify me about additions ... upcoming releases."

If you're talking about the ads from Dovetail games (the distributor of FSX:SE), then the best option is to ... umm ... not look at them? It's been a while since I last touched FSX, but isn't there an option in the game settings to choose your default page (e.g. Missions, New Flight, etc...) when you start up?

It seems M$ designed Windows defender to not block any advertisements.

That's not Windows Defender's job. Windows Defender cleans viruses/malware/spyware, none of which advertisements (no matter how annoying they can be) are, at least in this context.

http://i.imgur.com/iMDlMAv.jpg

TseTse i5-9600K @ 3.7~4.5GHz | RTX2060 Super 8GB | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1TB Samsung 840EVO | Z390 Chipset | Windows 10 x64

Pardon my ignorance, but when I start FSX Steam, I simply click on the desktop Icon, and the sim starts up. No need to login to Steam, no ads, just a flight sim that's ready to go. You do not have to be on-line to use the Steam edition.

Occassionaly, (usually on a computer re-boot), Steam will update, but I have no problem starting the sim.

(Maybe I've missed something here)?

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I want to thank everybody for their responses.

Not what I was looking for, though.

Something like blocking all the adverts in your e-mails when companies send you their newsletters. There are those few companies that have to be intrusive, that ruin it for the rest.

I have been able to stop about 90% of the ads flooding in so far, just by tweaking the hosts file.

I was hoping someone here knew how FSX communicated with fsinsider and/or steam.

I just want to shut an open door.

I'll just keep looking...

I'll just keep looking

He doesn't have Steam. He has boxed edition. Where the "Home" menu shows a Steam ad nowadays.

He doesn't want to see the ad.

All he has to do is not click the "Home" menu.

I didn't noticed the change in MS-FSX and I guess I can care less. Now that I think about it is the second time I open the Home in my life since I bought it in 2006. It always opens in "Fly now" anyways.

Cheers,

Archived