flightdeck2sim - Airline Pilot Tutorials for Virtual Pilots

flightdeck2sim

Hi everyone, I'm new to your forum!

Some of you might be aware of my website as I've had a few messages from people who're part of the flight sim community.

I'm a Type Rating Instructor and Senior First Officer for quite a large European 737 Operator. I have just over 4000 hours on the 737 (the real one).

About two months ago I created a channel "flightdeck2sim" on YouTube where I use the PMDG NGX to replicate real world procedures based on how I fly the 737 using my operators procedures. I've used the product for a number of years to practice profiles and procedures I instruct during type ratings and recurrent training at work.

Whilst I am very busy I do find the time to make tutorial videos for this channel, if anyone is interested you can find my channel here.

http://www.youtube.com/flightdeck2sim

I'm just returning to the community something I wish I had when I was growing up with flight simulator. It already includes a full flight tutorial and some Approach Tutorials.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not here to merely advertise either, I'm quite active on AVSIM and help a number of people with any questions they might have which I'm also more than happy to do here. If you have any question regarding commercial operations and operating the 737-800 feel free to send me a message here or on my Facebook Page.

http://www.facebook.com/flightdeck2sim

Kind Regards and Fly Safe!

NB - I am in no position to share/copy company material. All guidance is purely to enhance your home flight simulator experience. Any comments/view expressed do not represent the views of my company and I wish to remain anonymous at all times.

flightdeck2sim

It's nice to see a real pilot show us noobs so to speak how to operate the great, great PMDG 737. I have flown the PMDG 737 many times in FS2004, but I'm now playing around in FSX. I need to get the NGX because I miss a nice plane with all the bells and whistles.

So I have a couple questions and a suggestion.

A) When you are coming in for final how do you know what speed you should place your flaps? Does that magenta marker next to the speed tape show you that the first flap, etc should be set? That's one thing I never could quite figure out and always made a guess and thought perhaps that magenta marker next to the speed tape was indeed where I drop a flap.

B) Can you do a proper start up procedure video? I've seen a few on YouTube and I'm sure they never even read the manual and it's just educated guessing. I even seen one video where the player used the left and right ignition switch thinking it corresponded to the left and right engine when in reality each engine has two ignitions left and right.

And a suggestion. Could you talk slower in your videos? LOL It's hard to ascertain what's going on and to take in the information.

Thank you for your contributions! I look forward to learning how to fly this beast like they do in real life. I will add you to my Facebook.

Edit-

Just noticed something on your Facebook page. It says:

Welcome to Flightdeck2Sim!

I'm a 737 pilot sharing guidance on operating the PMDG NXG for the flight simulator community.

Should be NGX. ;)

Hi CRJ_simpilot!

Thank you for your suggestion and pointing out the edit! I will try and slow down the pace, it's a comment bought forward before. I am trying to explain every operational impact of what I'm doing and the actions of both PF and PM based on my operators procedures so it can be difficult!

Answering your questions..

1. When extending flaps so long as you're below your maximum flap placard speed it doesn't really matter and will vary from approach to approach. During flap retraction you need to be above the flap placard speed for the next flap setting based on current gross weight (the little Green -5, -1, etc...)

2 . You're in luck! My next tutorial includes engine start procedures including isolated pack operation and starting using the Air Ground Starter (when the APU is inoperative). There is no need, as you pointed out, to change over the igniter.

Hope this helped and thank you for your invaluable feedback!

Kind Regards,

flightdeck2sim

flightdeck2sim

Answering your questions..

1. When extending flaps so long as you're below your maximum flap placard speed it doesn't really matter and will vary from approach to approach. During flap retraction you need to be above the flap placard speed for the next flap setting based on current gross weight (the little Green -5, -1, etc...)

So my question was where on the speed tape does it show when a flap should be deployed? You mentioned something green? I know it's below the speed to be able to use flaps. I just need to know when you set them given speed and weight. I'm sure it was a setting in the FMC. It's been a while since I flew the 737 in FS. But it would really help to know that there is an indicator on the speed tape I'm sure. It's my only guess.

So my question was where on the speed tape does it show when a flap should be deployed? You mentioned something green? I know it's below the speed to be able to use flaps. I just need to know when you set them given speed and weight. I'm sure it was a setting in the FMC. It's been a while since I flew the 737 in FS. But it would really help to know that there is an indicator on the speed tape I'm sure. It's my only guess.

Yes that's right! You need to select a landing flap setting on the INIT REF page before landing. Before landing we set our landing flap setting which gives us a VREF. All the Flap Placard Speeds are based on VREF.

Example VREF + 70KTS = UP SPEED

VREF + 30KTS = FLAP 5 SPEED

The Flap Maneuvering Speeds, which are the green dashes with the flap setting on the speed tape, appear whenever you enter a gross weight in the CDU/FMC and you then set the flap as you decelerate.

Ideally we select the next Flap setting when we decelerate through the placard speed.

Eg. - Passing through Speedtape - UP, Select Flap 1

Passing through Speedtape - 1, Select Flap 5

Hope this helped!

flightdeck2sim

Looks like a really good channel, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

Do you have any favorite GA aircraft that you fly in the sim? The NGX is great but I like seeing how r/w pilots handle smaller aircraft also.

Cheers

Yes that's right! You need to select a landing flap setting on the INIT REF page before landing. Before landing we set our landing flap setting which gives us a VREF. All the Flap Placard Speeds are based on VREF.

Example VREF + 70KTS = UP SPEED

VREF + 30KTS = FLAP 5 SPEED

The Flap Maneuvering Speeds, which are the green dashes with the flap setting on the speed tape, appear whenever you enter a gross weight in the CDU/FMC and you then set the flap as you decelerate.

Ideally we select the next Flap setting when we decelerate through the placard speed.

Eg. - Passing through Speedtape - UP, Select Flap 1

Passing through Speedtape - 1, Select Flap 5

Hope this helped!

Thanks! I'll have to install the NGX and try my hand at the 737 again. I used to fly it in FS2004 all the time, but it's been a while.

I haven't flown a light aircraft for about 6 years and it's been even longer in the sim!

I did use FSX during my CPL/IR (Piper Warrior and Carenado PA34 Seneca) and it was reasonably accurate but never quite the same thing. As a procedural trainer though FSX is fantastic.

flightdeck2sim

I've been reading all the manuals that come with the 737NGX and a manual that's more refined I got here in the library. So far I'm on page 44. A lot of it is stuff I already knew, some isn't and the FMC I already know how to operate except I forgot how to do holds and intercepting a radial from a VOR or waypoint. Don't really need to know how to intercept a radial in the Sim, but it's nice to know.

Question: How do you transition from an imperial measurement to metric when say you fly from the U.S. to London? I mean your elevations, etc would all have to change in the FMC.

Another small suggestion. Could you turn down the cockpit noise? It's hard to hear you. :)

I have been mostly flying the default Lear 45 with an upgraded cockpit. In FS2004 I flew it all. Mostly an F-22 Raptor at 45 thousand at mach 2 and the PMDG 737.

I'd love a nice CRJ model. Too bad PMDG doesn't make one. I like the small jet A/C. I did fly PMDG's B1900D a lot as well.

Archived