Getting Started Again

Steve H

Greetings. I'm returning to flight-simming after being away from it for 10 years or so and need some basic direction to get caught up.

Is there a link to information that would tell what sort of hardware and software I need to achieve the maximum frame rates possible, which version of FSX to buy, best scenery, add-ons, etc.? I'm hoping to purchase dedicated computer equipment to be used only for flight sim applications.

I would appreciate your help.

Steve H

Welcome back Steve. Lots of changes in the last 10 years. You'll get a hundred different opinions on the hardware. But, I think most folks would recommend Prepar3d as the sim of choice ( http://www.prepar3d.com/ ). FSX is no longer sold and was licensed to Lockheed Martin several years ago. Prepar3d is the successor to FSX.

As far as the hardware goes I'd look for a system built around an i7-7700K CPU and an iNvidea 1080GTX GPU. It's a great combination.

Are you looking to build it yourself (which I recommend) or buy one?

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I would also recommend P3D. FSX only has DX10 IF you spend extra money for it. Prepar3D has DX11 and it comes with the sim and doesn't cost you extra. It is also a far superior product in look and operation. I have been simming since 1986 and I can tell you that P3D is the penultimate sim to current date. Yes, I do still have FSX on my system but I only use it as a test bed for trying addons before I put it in my P3D.

P3D also supports video cards in SLI if you would like to go that route. It moves a bunch of the processing over to the video card using a process called "Tessellation". This free's up some much needed memory to help get rid of OOM's.

P3D will give you the best visuals and best feel of realism. Also, because it uses DX11 then addon developers can also use DX11 and do more with the sim.

I have Steam version of FSX also. It is ok, Seems to run ok but again will only be DX9 unless you spend another 30 bucks for a fixer. Why spend more money then you need to? The hobby is already too expensive........LOL.

For base addons I would recommend you start with Orbx. They are currently the best developer out there. I would recommend Orbx FTX global as a ground layer. Take a look at some of their products and feel free to get on their forums to ask members questions. If you buy their FTX Global then you can also get their freeware packs that contain well over 500 airports from around the world. That's a great deal!! :)

https://orbxdirect.com/

Which ever way you decide to go I am betting you will have many hours of enjoyment in your future and welcome back to the skies!!! :)

I would also recommend P3D. FSX only has DX10 IF you spend extra money for it. Prepar3D has DX11 and it comes with the sim and doesn't cost you extra. It is also a far superior product in look and operation. I have been simming since 1986 and I can tell you that P3D is the penultimate sim to current date. Yes, I do still have FSX on my system but I only use it as a test bed for trying addons before I put it in my P3D.

P3D also supports video cards in SLI if you would like to go that route. It moves a bunch of the processing over to the video card using a process called "Tessellation". This free's up some much needed memory to help get rid of OOM's.

P3D will give you the best visuals and best feel of realism. Also, because it uses DX11 then addon developers can also use DX11 and do more with the sim.

I have Steam version of FSX also. It is ok, Seems to run ok but again will only be DX9 unless you spend another 30 bucks for a fixer. Why spend more money then you need to? The hobby is already too expensive........LOL.

For base addons I would recommend you start with Orbx. They are currently the best developer out there. I would recommend Orbx FTX global as a ground layer. Take a look at some of their products and feel free to get on their forums to ask members questions. If you buy their FTX Global then you can also get their freeware packs that contain well over 500 airports from around the world. That's a great deal!! :)

https://orbxdirect.com/

Which ever way you decide to go I am betting you will have many hours of enjoyment in your future and welcome back to the skies!!! :)

MuUnSavory, I respectfully disagree with your advice concerning P3D. I have had P3D for a years now and haven't fired it up this year so far. I prefer FSX. Having said that, I'm certainly not alone.

I just took a random look at current real time "viewing" numbers on the Flight Sim forums.

FSX Viewers were 317. MSFS had 142 Viewers. At the same moment P3D had 20 viewers and P3D screen shot viewers had 3.

That is about the average ratio I've noticed recently. When P3D first came out, P3D numbers were much more equal. At that time many, like I, were trying to make it work well. Obviously many, like I, have given up that quest.

If years after P3D was first marketed, FSX is 15.5 times more active on the forum and 47 times more active on the screen shot forum, then IMHO P3D isn't really doing well at all!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

People can ignore licensing all they want. Fact is, Prepar3D is not meant for the casual simmer to have - it is a professional product where the license excplicitly states that it is not to be used for entertainment. Whether you agree with the licensing or not or if you think it is silly - that is what is written, and what you have to agree to when you buy it.

At least contact Lockheed Martin before you click "buy now" and ask them which license is the right one for you.

And no, there won't be any police or men in black come knocking at your door when you sim for fun in P3D. If you violate the license agreement, Lockheed has the right to revoke it (and they can too, with their online validation system) and they can sue you for damages. So you just lose a bit of money, nothing more. A different matter would be you tricking the proprietor into giving you a license that you are not entitled to have. That would be a criminal offense (fraud), albeit a minor one.

Hi Steve,

there are a couple of choices:

FSX:Steam Edition as the latest incarnation of FSX

Dovetail Flight School - a very limited 64bit refresh of FSX

AeroflyFS 2: an upcoming sim which is very much about visuals

X-Plane 11: nearing release I believe. You can currently get XP10 with the upgrade to 11 included.

DCS World: the go-to for any warbird fan.

Prepar3D: A "world" or "training" simulator based on the original Microsoft ESP platform, capable of running many FSX addons (in the current Version, that is)

I suggest that you take your time, read through the many online sources, to determine which one is for you (before you sink money into a platform that turns out not to be what you imagined).

For all of These a current PC Setup is recommended - I suggest the best that you can afford.

Good points evm,

However no one will successfully sue me for using P3D for enjoyment. I tried and tired, but I couldn't find a way to make it nearly as enjoyable as FSX!:o:o So I quit trying.:mad:

As to the PC setup. I found I'm happiest with the fastest clock speed Intel CPU I can afford! and of course the fastest RAM that CPU will run Plus I prefer a Solid State Hard-drive (SSD) to reduce my flight load times. And a good , not great, Nvidia based GPU for multiple monitor flight viewing.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Well, I fly both P3D v3.4 and FSX Gold Box version and think I have the best of everything...I have like many folks tons of addons for FSX and many won't load into P3D but I fly above 30,000 feet most of the time and all I need is the Active Sky addons which I have and it is great.

Archived