Anyone using the Simionic G1000 app?

stinger2k2

Hi all,

I am looking into using this app with 2 x ipads and FSX.

Does anyone have any experience with this app and if so which ipad are you using?

I don't currently own an ipad and I am trying to find out, as I will need to buy 2,

if the ipad air version 1 works ok. I know that on the Simionic website it says that you

can use this version of the ipad air but I was hoping for a bit of real world feedback.

As this app, along with the ipads, works wirelessly I thought that it may be a better solution

than buying 2 x 10" monitors which would require extra monitor ports from my graphics card

and possibly make less of an impact on my FPS rate.

cheers for looking

Stinger

• 2 weeks later...

I'll reply myself just to give anyone interested an update.....

I bought a second hand ipad air (version 1) and downloaded the Simionic PFD app.

There is a separate app for the MFD but to use this you must first have the PFD app on your primary ipad as the MFD does not talk directly to FSX, just the PFD via bluetooth.

I connected to FSX fairly seamlessly.

It works over the wifi network so as long as your PC and the ipad are using the same network it connects itself after a couple of clicks.

As to the app itself, it seems to work well as long as you are flying one of the default Cessnas . There are 4 Cessna versions modelled in the app. There is (on my system) no discernible lag and you can operate the G1000 softbuttons via the app.

The problem I have is that I want to use it for my home cockpit that I am building based on the Carenado Phenom 300, but because the app is designed for light aircraft it shows that I am overspeeding once I get past approx 180 knots.

Hopefully there will be future updates giving the option of flying jets at least. I guess it would be too much to ask that Simionic include every add-on aircraft out there as each is different. There are things that happen on the Phenom G1000 that don't happen on any default glass cockpit aircraft for instance.

I would still like to hear from others that have tried this app and maybe overcome some of its limitations.

Cheers

Stinger.

Futlrther update.....I have been in contact with Li Chen, the app designer. Unfortunately, although he says that there is likely to be further aircraft added at some point in the future, jets are not likely to be amongst them. That pretty much scuppers my plans of using the app with my home cockpit setup.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

So the only way to use the MFD is to have it on a second ipad with the PFD running on the first ipad? Is there no way to have both running on the same ipad?

Raymond W.

I7 4770k, Asrock Z87 Extreme3, Gskill Ripjaw X 8gb 1600, MSI GTX 660ti 2gb

Corsair H110, Corsair TX650, Corsair Carbide 500R, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

• 4 weeks later...

Not as far as I can tell.

I have now decided to use my 2 ipads effectively as two extra wireless monitors using an app which allows this. I then open up the 2d g1000 view in fsx and drag onto the ipad. I will be building my own Nav/Com side panels but leaving the G1000 soft buttons on the ipad as this seems to work fine with the ipads touchscreen ability. Time will tell as far as frame rates go though.

I have tried it with the pfd so far and it works smoothly.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

I have installed the G1000 PFD app from Simionic on an iPad.

Using a bluetooth keyboard I am now able to control all the knobs and switches on the bezel, as well as the airspeed, pitch, yaw and bank angle using keystrokes. Brilliantly, the Navdata is updated automatically so I can practice current sector entries, holding patterns and instrument approaches using the keyboard, anywhere, without even connecting to X-Plane.

There is just one problem - the prescribed keys (the arrow keys) for scrolling through any menu requiring the FMS knob don't work as advertised. Especially frustrating for waypoint entry, I must still touch the FMS knob on the iPad screen to achieve this. It's a fruitless task with fat sausage fingers on a mini iPad screen, I can tell you!

This problem has been raised with the developer by another user on the Simionic website but it still persists.

Does anyone have a solution?