Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing FSX without DVD drive

Default Installing FSX without DVD drive

Hey guys,

Just bought a new laptop - it has no optical drive. I have my old copy of FSX on the 2 DVDs, is there anyway I can transfer them to a USB flash drive or something so I can install it?

Thanks!
    Kyle

You could purchase an external DVD drive from Amazon or somewhere similar, or perhaps you know someone who has one?

You could simply use a DVD drive.
    No internal drive needed.
    DVD-drives exist that you connect to the computer via a USB port.

Like these:
    https://www.newegg.com/External-CD-D...ategory/ID-420

Other option, you can try copying the contents of the Flight Simulator X DVD to a USB thumb drive and try Installing it from the USB Thumb Drive. For copying you'll you have another PC with a DVD drive and USB port.

1) Copy the contents of both FSX Deluxe Discs
    2) While copying, ensure that you don’t overwrite any file.
    3) Once the copy completes, insert the USB drive and double-click on the setup file.

On a second USB thumb drive, do the same with the Acceleration DVD

Ok I transferred both discs onto a thumb drive, but in the middle of the installation it keeps asking for Disc 2

Quote Originally Posted by kylewoodyls1 View Post
    Ok I transferred both discs onto a thumb drive, but in the middle of the installation it keeps asking for Disc 2
    Easy fix. Transfer the contents of disc 1 onto a thumb drive. Then the contents of Disc 2 onto another. When it asks for disc 2, switch the drives. What do they cost $3-$5? Some sites even give them away to regular customers. You can always use another thumb drive.

Having said that. I also have a laptop with no disc drive. I bought a USB adapter disc drive for under $20 and find it's still very handy in several situations. The no disc drive concept is to try and force everyone to save everything to the cloud and pay the cloud fees. NOT I.

Hi Kyle,
    Transfer the contents of both discs to a single folder on the thumb drive. There are many duplicate files on the discs so skip or overwrite as you like when copying the second disc.
    Here are the contents:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsxdiscs.JPG 
Views:	11521 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	196493
    Jim F.

Once you have the thumbdrive sorted with all the right stuff I'd recommend making an ISO file from the thumbdrive. Once that's done if you have to reinstall you can simply mount the ISO file to a virtual disc drive. Freeware is here:

To create the ISO file look here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-crea...-or-cd-2625180

To mount a virtual DVD look here: http://download.cnet.com/Virtual-Clo..._4-173879.html

Once you do this you'll never need the discs again.........Doug
    Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Hi,
    Mostly as an excuse that I'm not hijacking this thread; once the files are on the thumb drive the discs will not be needed again. But the real reason for my reply and a question: My thanks to Doug for supplying that info regarding creating and mounting iso files. After creating some Blu-ray disc I've discovered problems with them after burning. It seems that by creating iso's I could identify problems without burning a coaster. Any experience with blu-rays?
    Jim F.

I'm on a cell while reading this. Forgive me of missed something.

All this talk of DVD drives and thumb drives is unnecessary. There is no copy protection in the installation files/process. I have been installing FSX from a folder on the pc for years. The copy protection comes from the registration process. That registration process of course is completed after FSX is installed.

If you have all of the files from both disks copied to a PC, copy them into one folder and simply run the setup. Exe.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast