How to make FS2004 Run on windows 10?

SlimeyFlighter213

There's a Windows 10 forum over at AVSIM which should have all the answers for you:

http://www.avsim.com/forum/731-win10-os-forum/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

here's one thing i noticed.

When starting a flight there is no plane preview so i cant see how the plane looks like its a pitch black screen which hides my cursor when moving through it.

Also if i do Alt + Tab or something similar it jams and requires hard doing around n blah blah yeah its difficult to get out of it.

Heres however specs for my PC: (its very bad)

DX12

2GB VRAM

8GB RAM

2.40 GHZ (2.80 overclocked which it isnt)

17 Inch screen (Its a laptop)

Build 1607 of windows.

A possible cause for this is that the current install of the DirectX (DX) V9 (required by FS2004 to run) has become corrupted or is incomplete. How you got W10 (either as upgrade or new install) will also have an impact. By default W10 ships only with V11 and 12 so if you

A. Upgraded from an older win version using the 'keep current settings' option - it would have kept the older versions of DX BUT there is a known issue whereby it/they can become corrupted by the W10 upgrade process.

B Upgraded from an older win version using the 'clean install' option - all previously installed versions of DX will have been deleted and only V11 and 12 installed.

In both cases, when you then re-installed FS2004 it would have updated/installed the version that is included on the CDs, which is way out of date and incompatible with W10.

Download the latest version of the Direct X V9 redistribution package directly from here -

Install using admin rights. It will detect the current install and will offer two options; a full install or a repair. Using the repair option such be sufficient as it will check the current install and then add any new/missing files and replace any corrupted/out of date files. After you have install it reboot the rig.

Note that by installing V9 it will not alter any other version of Direct X you have installed.

Regards

Brian

I read these recent postings with interest, because I too have FS9 and a clean-sheet Windows 10 installation. For me, the no-cd crack worked.

However, as I've noted elsewhere, none of my Windows 10 has any sound whatsoever. Hence I do my FS9 piloting in silence.

From what I gather, I am not alone in this soundless W10. Alas, various "fixes," including those suggested by MS, have had any effect so far.

A possible cause for this is that the current install of the DirectX (DX) V9 (required by FS2004 to run) has become corrupted or is incomplete. How you got W10 (either as upgrade or new install) will also have an impact. By default W10 ships only with V11 and 12 so if you

A. Upgraded from an older win version using the 'keep current settings' option - it would have kept the older versions of DX BUT there is a known issue whereby it/they can become corrupted by the W10 upgrade process.

B Upgraded from an older win version using the 'clean install' option - all previously installed versions of DX will have been deleted and only V11 and 12 installed.

In both cases, when you then re-installed FS2004 it would have updated/installed the version that is included on the CDs, which is way out of date and incompatible with W10.

Download the latest version of the Direct X V9 redistribution package directly from here -

Install using admin rights. It will detect the current install and will offer two options; a full install or a repair. Using the repair option such be sufficient as it will check the current install and then add any new/missing files and replace any corrupted/out of date files. After you have install it reboot the rig.

Note that by installing V9 it will not alter any other version of Direct X you have installed.

Still wont work...

@ SlimeyFlighter213.....

Other solutions to try:

Update your video drivers.

Go to FS2004 settings (hardware tab) and make sure that the sim display resolution is the same as your normal display settings.

@ EngEd..........

Have you looked within Device Manager to see if there is a problem with your sound device. When you open Device Manager it will automatically open (expand) any main entry problem area - the problem item within the main entry will have a little icon by it.

However, that said, a possible solution that may work for you. What does appear to be a common issue WRT Win 10 sound issues such as yours, which I discovered when helping a family friend to resolve similar sound issues, is that the RealTek drivers seem to get deleted, especially when the upgrade method is used. It maybe worth you downloading/installing the drivers from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false - read/ignore the blurb on the landing page and click on the next button. On the new page look at the top two entries of the table and select the appropriate option for your OS - click on the 'Global' link to download.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Longbreak,,

Sorry for the communications delay. I've not been on the W10 side of my partition in a while. Thanks for the suggestion about the RealTek download. It installed apparently correctly but still no sound. All the built-in diagnostics say everything is fine...

By background, my previous iMac 27 worked like a charm, 70 percent W7/30 Apple, with fully functional FS9. The computer went belly-up needing a $600 repair or... The new one doesn't accept W7, so I sprang for W10, which installed fine except for a lack of sound throughout.

Since I got FS working otherwise (and GMax, my principal time-gobbler), I'll just make "brrr" sounds when I fly.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Sorry to hear that you are still without sound. The only other solution that I can think of is to identify the name/model of the sound card and check their website to see if there is a fix available. Also check the actual requirements for the device. If may be something as simple as it requires a certain version of DirectX (DX) for example. A fairly common issue for those who had problems with sound after upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7 or 8 was that the issue was caused by missing/corrupted RealTek files and/or a similar DX issue.

Most Win 7/8 era sound devices were coded for DX 9 but when going through the upgrade process to Win 10 DX9 files were either deleted or become corrupted. A clean install of the latest DX9 ReDistribution package (download directly from the MS website) resolved the vast majority of issues. It is worth noting that a clean install of Win 10 does not contain any DX9 files, initially it only shipped with DX10 and 11 drivers and the Anniversary update in Oct 2016 added DX12 support.

Regards

Brian

Archived