RW, how fast are the crosswinds you run into as the weather changes?

N33029

Gang,

My computer is not connected to the internet. I do program weather to try to make it challenging enough to get mental stimulation out of simming. Mostly I'm flying the C172 and the Piper Supercub (a tail-dragger). Can somebody tell me what kind of winds kick up after they've been flying for awhile with real world weather?

Thanks,

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

You are aware that those planes, all planes, actually, have a maximum the crosswind component can be to permit them to land?

Look up the crosswind component permitted by the aircraft, then program the winds for that. Remember, the wind velocity is the arctan of the angle off the plane's nose or tail, so at 90° it's at it's greatest, and as it goes towords the nose or tail, the wind's velocity "decreases" until, at the nose or tail, it's crosswind value is 0. Again, all relative to the nose or tail of the plane, not the world.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

According to the C172 POH, it can be landed safely in a direct crosswind up to 15kts. I can't find any crosswind data for the Super Cub, so I'd maybe reduce that limit by 5kts due it's older design. These windspeeds are quite common, but you usually get lower windspeeds with gusts up to 10-15kts.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

but you usually get lower windspeeds with gusts up to 10-15kts.

Yup, and iirc, you're supposed to use the highest reported gust for crosswind calculations. So, a steady wind of 15 is acceptable, but if it has 5 kt gust n top of that, it's out of limits, and you'll have to find another runway either closer into the wind, or with lower gusts. Either at the chosen airport or a different one near by. Even GA's have to divert on occaision :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

One additional note: The published maximum "demonstrated" crosswind isn't necessarily the most the aircraft can handle (though in some cases it may be), but it's what the manufacturer has demonstrated and that they are willing to put into the manual. The Super Cub (and its manual) came before the GAMA guidelines came out for general aviation aircraft manuals/published data, so much of the data you are accustomed to seeing for more modern aircraft simply hasn't been published. I can say from experience, though, that a steady (not gusty) 20 kt crosswind can mostly be handled by the Super Cub, if the pilot is able, but on the same basis as the Cessna I'd suggest that 12-15 would be max.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

In Southern Alberta, Canada, Chinook winds can blow with speeds similar to hurricanes and have been known to derail trains and blow over semi trucks. When it comes to GA aircraft, it's usually a better idea to just stay on the ground if a Chinook is blowing, or will be during your planned flight. Chinooks also have very strong up and down drafts due to how they come over the mountains, drop down to the Prairie and then deflect back up again. I've heard of one aircraft that suffered a prop strike with the ground while in the run-up bay because of a Chinook wind. If one is blowing at your destination, diverting should be a serious consideration if the runway is perpendicular to the wind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

During my flying experience the vast majority of crosswinds were less than 10kts - I would be strongly advised not to fly by the air/ground station if higher speed winds were not more or less down the runway. There was one occaision when I was returning to Thruxton and received a warning that the wind had veered and strengthened. As far as I remember that was 15kts. It was a bit of a handful in the sedate C150 but I don't remember smashing any runway lights. Honest.

At the altitudes the C172 flies, I've experienced winds up to 30 and maybe 40. Generally 10 to 20 is more common.

The OP was asking about crosswinds for takeoff and landing, not for cruise where most anything is OK as far as handling goes.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

15kts of X-Wind isn't an issue with a C172 or Cub. Not only should you pay attention to the limitations imposed by the POH (or as has been stated, Max Demonstrated), but also your own.

The limitations were explored by an experienced test pilot. Not a freshly minted Private Pilot. So it's very important to consider what YOU are capable and confident with.

The good thing about Flight Sim is you can explore these limits with no consequence. :)

Cheers,

Strikey

Embraer E190 Driver

I'm not a real-world pilot but I think I read somewhere that when planes come crabbing in to land in a crosswind. the pilots "kick off" the drift with rudder a second or two before touchdown to point the nose straight down the runway. I've seen youtube vids of airliners doing it, but I should imagine it'd be trickier in light aircraft which are more at the mercy of the crosswind. Should be fun trying it in flight sims..:)

I'm not a real-world pilot but I think I read somewhere that when planes come crabbing in to land in a crosswind. the pilots "kick off" the drift with rudder a second or two before touchdown to point the nose straight down the runway. I've seen youtube vids of airliners doing it, but I should imagine it'd be trickier in light aircraft which are more at the mercy of the crosswind. Should be fun trying it in flight sims..:)

The "kick" method is one way, but needs careful timing. The other way is to lower the wing into the wind while holding opposite rudder, thus slipping the aircraft, an attitude you can hold as long as you wish, and touching down on the upwind main wheel first.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

The "kick" method is one way, but needs careful timing. The other way is to lower the wing into the wind while holding opposite rudder, thus slipping the aircraft, an attitude you can hold as long as you wish, and touching down on the upwind main wheel first.

Yes, there is an AOPA video called "Lost and Crossed" that teaches you the importance of leaning to save fuel, how to ask the controller where you are, and how to land in a crosswind. There is a DVD with the video on Amazon right now but I'm sure there are other places it can be had. Ah, there is one more copy on DVD on eBay, two VHS.

Even though I was only asking for crosswinds during landing, I liked all the answers that were given, including that one on winds aloft, which I had no way of knowing besides asking. You guys were great. I actually have a C172 manual, I just can't find it in the clutter. However, I did find the Super Cub manual online.

http://www.supercub.co.nz/ownersmanual.PDF

True, it doesn't have the figure for the maximum demonstrated crosswind, but the performance specifications will help me fly better and I plan to read the other things in the manual. I actually didn't know that there was a poh for the cub. Dad's J-3 didn't have the data sheet glued to the fabric in back of the cockpit as required and I thought the cub is a plane you really learn how to fly from a bush pilot, but I'm looking forward to going through the manual.

Thanks again and happy landings :)

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Archived