What do you guys think? (Real vs Bootleg)

DrawyahGames

So I've been looking around for a good price on the PMDG 737 NGX for a while, with the cheapest coming in at £47.95.

PMDG 737 NGX (PC-DVD) BRAND NEW SEALED ENGLISH VERSION FLIGHT SIM

Bearing in mind that it costs $69.99 (£58.06) on both the PMDG and FSPilotShop sites, there is a good chance that this is going to be a Bootleg copy, the seller burns a pirated copy of the product onto a disk and prints the same key in each, but I could be wrong!

What do you guys say? Official or too good to be true?

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

too good to be true?

That's correct. Purchasing it also probably makes you an abetter to a criminal.

We have too few legitimate software vendors for our tiny niche market already. Please don't help undermine one of them!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

This looks like surplus stock of the old Aerosoft boxes of the 737. Could be genuine, if they want to rid themselves of it (which is not unusual, that seller seems to be big enough for that). But it is a bit of a hassle to get the Aerosoft boxes updated to the current version, as PMDG does not honor their licenses directly - you have to go through the Aerosoft shop (which might be the reason why they are selling it at a lower price).

These models can't be pirated that easily, as they require online activation. So if they are not unused or indeed pirated, then you won't be able to activate it either way (Aerosoft or PMDG method).

Good point evm. I hope that is exactly what this offer is!

Having said that, I am aware there is some damned good bootleg software that overrides or fools online activation as well.

Michael

Uh oh, looks like we've entered the ...

tin_foil_hat.gif

Not really. You have entered a realist area. I have a friend who is a retired software engineer who worked for among other companies Texas Instruments and HP. His hobby now that he has retired?

He likes to find and defeat pirate software including software that overrides online activation setups. He tells me there are hundreds of pirate sites from where you can at no cost or very low cost obtain all sorts of pirated software keys and activation links.

With 2.600 current&active ebay items and 200.000 feedbacks over a period of 15 years I personally wouldn't brush him off as a pirate.

Still, there is something to be said for buying the item directly from the developer. The download already is the current version, including the PMDG control center. I had an Aerosoft box too at some point and ran into a bit of trouble when I wanted to purchase the other packages to the 737 (600/700). It worked out in the end, but I never bought another PMDG box again, the downloads were much more convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived