Recording Flight

sal133q8

I've done a (very) small amount using the trial version of Fraps ( 30 sec sessions), Nvidia's Shadowplay (without noticeable fps hits), OBS (FREE open broadcast studio), and the video render function of a beta FSRecorderX (records first, renders afterwards although soundtrack is not recorded).

As you can see, there are numerous options, free and otherwise. Others who have done a lot more will probably offer their findings. I'd be interested in see what methods get the most up-votes.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

The easiest way is to use FRAPS. It has settings you can change to suit your specs. But it records either live or instant replay. And it can record FSRecorder instant replay too. Free version of FRAPS puts a watermark top center (ruins video). The registered version does not. I use both FRAPS and FSRecorder (almost daily). I LOVE my FRAPS (registered version).

FSRecorder (there is a FS2004 and a FSX version) can render video but it does not record the sound. FRAPS does record sound. No brainer - get FRAPS and be happy. But FRAPS avi videos can be 3 Gb per 3 min recording just so you are aware. So a 5 min avi will be about 5 Gb. You can then load clips into Win Movie Maker and paste clips together and save as wmv movie which reduces size to 1/10 size.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've done a (very) small amount using the trial version of Fraps ( 30 sec sessions), Nvidia's Shadowplay (without noticeable fps hits), OBS (FREE open broadcast studio), and the video render function of a beta FSRecorderX (records first, renders afterwards although soundtrack is not recorded).

As you can see, there are numerous options, free and otherwise. Others who have done a lot more will probably offer their findings. I'd be interested in see what methods get the most up-votes.

Loyd

The easiest way is to use FRAPS. It has settings you can change to suit your specs. But it records either live or instant replay. And it can record FSRecorder instant replay too. Free version of FRAPS puts a watermark top center (ruins video). The registered version does not. I use both FRAPS and FSRecorder (almost daily). I LOVE my FRAPS (registered version).

FSRecorder (there is a FS2004 and a FSX version) can render video but it does not record the sound. FRAPS does record sound. No brainer - get FRAPS and be happy. But FRAPS avi videos can be 3 Gb per 3 min recording just so you are aware. So a 5 min avi will be about 5 Gb. You can then load clips into Win Movie Maker and paste clips together and save as wmv movie which reduces size to 1/10 size.

Chuck B

Napamule

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I wonder if I am understanding. Surely a flight simulator's instant replay is available after shutting down the computer and restarting, right? I mean, is this not right and that is what this discussion is about? I guess Microsoft Flight Simulator did not back in 2000 or so, but after 15 years, by now it must, right? Isn't education what it is about - so surely I am wrong thinking you guys might be saying the simulators now days still do not save. I have not flown for years until recently - flew the 2002 yesterday. I really need to save flights for teaching moments. I think I have made myself clear. Please answer my concerns clearly.

Thank you in advance.

Essentially, NOTHING has changed. Instant replay is still instant replay... in memory only. What you're missing is that the FLIGHT RECORDING feature makes a saved file. The FSR is only good to replay the flight in-game but it is a permanent recording; it is not a media file of any sort but I've used it in the making of all of my videos. When replaying the file, you have no control over the flight - that's the recored part - but you can adjust views and zoom while you run the recording (and make a video that is more pleasing to view)

I hope this clarifies the replay features: one temporary and one permanent. Both were even a feature of FS9 ( I just checked).

Loyd

Q,

The OP was asking what you use to record video. You need a 'screen capture' (Google it) program. One is Fraps. It records live or instant replays and includes sound. It is a 'screen capture' program. Once installed you can start anytime to record what is on your monitor screen. It can record anything, not just Flight Sim. Buy it - it's a bargain!

The other is FSR (FlightSimRecorder) and which is free, by Matthias Neusinger and found at FSRecorder.net the only 'records' data (*.frc). Not video. That data can only be played back by FSRecorder. Once installed it will be accessed thru 'ADDON' menu found on FltSim window. When doing an instant replay you can 'render' that video at 15-25 fps. So you can't record THAT! Too slow. But rendered video (*.wmv) will then be available for playback, or to edit in video editor program and will play at 25-30 fps.

The beauty of FSRecorder is that you can record 4 flights, then combine them and then see the 4 flights as one ('formation flying'). It has a steep learning curve. But onced you learn how to use it you will not find anything else that can do what it does in Flight Sim. Here is a sample of FSRecorder 'formation flying' in FS2004 (from 2009) and then 'captured' as video by using Fraps: https://youtu.be/VeL9yG7aJkI .

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I use OBS Open Broadcast Studio. FRAPS records in AVI and the file size waaaay too huge to even think about messing around with. OBS will have an option to record in MP4 which makes the video size in the hundreds of megabytes instead of Gigabytes with FRAPS. Fraps is good to see your FPS though, but I think FS has a built-in FPS display. You'd have to look over the key commands in the Sim controls.

For a great video convertor and video triming, check out Freemake. However, I noticed that the newer version embeds their own graphic now for advertisement. The older version doesn't, to be specific, version 4.0.1.4 You should be able to find it at oldapp.com or oldversion.com

I current use OBS for recording (mp4) and Blender (also free) for the editing and final render; it doesn't have all the features of a full-fledged video editor but it seems to do adequately for basic functionality that I need.

Loyd

OBS has a learning curve. Blender has a learning curve. Fraps does not have any learning curve. It's simple. It works VERY good. Yes the files are gigabytes but you can delete them when done editing video. I use Sony Vegas Platinum 11 and save video as *.mp4 which is 'ok' for YouTube uploading. I have OBS but I just can't seem to get the energy to run it and then deal with learning how to set it up. I would rather just take a nap.

Chuck B

Napamule

Ok. Obs does not have a 'learning curve'. But it's not 'simple' like Fraps.

OBS has live streaming capability, multiple audio sources, multiple video sources, various features and options for settings, etc. That is not 'simple'.

Chuck B

Napamule

Ok. Obs does not have a 'learning curve'. But it's not 'simple' like Fraps.

OBS has live streaming capability, multiple audio sources, multiple video sources, various features and options for settings, etc. That is not 'simple'.

Chuck B

Napamule

Fraps does not even compare to OBS. OBS is so far superior and it also allows live streaming. I have run and compared most of the recording software and fraps came in last on the list.

So can OBS record game in full screen? Or just in a window? And is OBS settings the same for everybody irregardless of CPU, Nvidia card, etc? Can you 'easily' use hot keys?

Fraps can record game in full screen. Or in a window. Fraps settings are the same for everybody irregardless of CPU, Nvidia card, etc. Fraps uses whatever key you want to use to start & stop recording. ONE key. Not a line in menu via drop down window. Too easy?

Fraps does not EVER produce a 'Black Screen' with only the sound being recorded. If that is 'outdated' then I like outdated. It would be hideous if it got a 'Black Screen' - but it don't - so it ain't.

Chuck B

Napamule

Hi,

All the things you mention are default in OBS. So yes it can, but without the watermark. Me, being a nitwit as far as software is concerned had it running without a manual and within two minutes.

It's good to hear you find Fraps suiting your needs. There's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy!

Grtz., Hans

Ah. Cagey. Sure anybody can 'run' OBS 'after a minute'. But will they get the best RESULTS if they just go 'simple' (default) and do nothing else?

And are you are saying that OBS can record FLT SIM GAME in full screen? Are you sure?

Chuck B

Napamule

Ok CRJ. You recorded a video. If you uploaded to YouTube let's see the link.

Chuck B

Napamule

all of my later vids are full-screen 1080p at 30 fps with OBS - link in the signature block.

Or maybe they're just borderless windowed mode... I can never remember for sure what I use. I don't like any program to lock me out of a second monitor...

Loyd

'Maybe they're just BORDERLESS windowed mode...'. Ha Ha.

As requested. Use full screen.

Not sure why there's a border on the sides. The video res is that of my monitor as you can see here:

http://imgur.com/vUrwhK7

Also, sometimes I have a bad habit of monitoring the ILS and forgetting to drop my landing gear. I did so here at 300 AGL. LOL! I fly the ILS manually. Using the APP button is too easy.

Well your video came out as '768x480' (ie: 480p). Your monitor is '1680x1050'. So, OBS did NOT record at full screen but as a window (size of 768x480).

YouTube is 16:9 aspect ratio. So, your monitor would have to be set to '1680x945' to be 16:9. Then there would not be any 'bars' on the sides. So, no cigar.

And since it is recommended to set FSX to what your Monitor res is, I guess you have FSX set to '1680x1050'? And the video: shows six minutes of airplane doing taxi? Whatever.

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived