Brakes on rudder pedals and parking brake

GridNorth

Whats the relationship? My son bought me the Aerosoft airbus for Christmas and after considerable changes to my set up, I had to set everything to default, I've at last got to the point where I can fly but I've noticed that when I press the brakes on the rudder pedals it seems to set the parking brake even though this is not reflected on the throttle pedestal i.e. the parking brake still shows as being off.

Alan

Whats the relationship? My son bought me the Aerosoft airbus for Christmas and after considerable changes to my set up, I had to set everything to default, I've at last got to the point where I can fly but I've noticed that when I press the brakes on the rudder pedals it seems to set the parking brake even though this is not reflected on the throttle pedestal i.e. the parking brake still shows as being off.

Alan

Alan,

I would say the first place you have to check is in your key bindings (controls) within your FSX options. I'm not in front of my sim so I'm working from memory so forgive me if I'm not using all the correct terms nor remembering all the places that you need to worry about.

There are multiple places that brake function can be affected. The default key press for brakes is the . (Period) key. The default key press for parking brakes is control . (Period). Additionally there are differential brakes (left and right) available in the key bindings. If you have rudder pedals, there is also a toe brake function (left and right) differential brakes. In my experience, it is likely that you have conflicting commands assigned to one or more of these functions established by returning to defaults. As an example, many joysticks have button 1 (trigger) assigned to a brake command by default.

Go in to your Settings for controls and select your controllers from the drop down list one at a time and check both the key commands and the axis for competing selections on brakes, parking brake, differential brakes and edit them until you have different keys/axis assigned for each and no duplicates shared among different controllers.

Paul

If you have differential brakes mapped to the toe brakes of the rudder pedals you may need to check the 'reverse axis' box. This is a common cause of toe brakes working backwards, so it looks like the parking brake is on when it isn't.

+1! I had the same issue once.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

If you have differential brakes mapped to the toe brakes of the rudder pedals you may need to check the 'reverse axis' box. This is a common cause of toe brakes working backwards, so it looks like the parking brake is on when it isn't.

+1 on this. I forgot about this one! It has happened to me in the past. Excellent recommendation Mark.

Archived