AI Aircraft Rock Side to Side

Guest hotshotmaverick

Guest hotshotmaverick

Happy New Year.

I am new to the forum and am looking for a possible solution to following problem with FS2004.

Problem: AI aircraft (airliners) rock side to side while taxiing to or from a runway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest hotshotmaverick

The aircraft are not actual AI models. They are the models from HJG, Vistaliners, etc.

It is all aircraft at all airports.

Side to side movement only occurs on taxiways.

I did not have this problem before when using HJG models or other non AI designated models. The problem started some time ago but I did not bother to try and rectify until now.

Hmm.. Shame in a way because if they didn't do it before it is more than likely something you added then and it might have been easier to eliminate.

Unless by some remote chance you remember what you added back then, I'm thinking may be something to do with airfields, may be an enhancement package or something similar, just a guess.

Also check that the AFCAD taxiways are wide enough. I've had a few that were only 15ft wide and had to be changed to 50ft wide.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Guest hotshotmaverick
Did not add mesh. How would I check and rectify if it is an elevation problem? My problem involves all airports.

Because you stated that the failing aircraft are non-AI models that you are using as AI aircraft, how do they perform as flyable aircraft taxiing down the taxiways? Do they still rock side to side?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You say its not just one aircraft so editing the AC cfg 's seems a bit too much, to me its more like a scenery problem.

Does the rock from side to side look like a dog wagging it's tail so to speak on just odd spots then it taxis normal or is it doing it the full taxi route?

Guest hotshotmaverick

Yes, it is like a dog wagging its tail. It happens from the moment the aircraft taxis from the gate until lined up on runway centre line. Once on the runway, the take off roll is normal.

Made an interesting discovery. Vickers aircraft such as the Viscount, Vanguard and VC10 do not have the tail wagging problem. They taxi straight and true. Interesting to see a Viscount taxiing normally in front of B737 whose tail was moving side to side.

Have you added a taxispeed gauge or utility to your airliners recently which affects differential braking? Maybe the Vickers aircraft don't have differential braking?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Guest hotshotmaverick
Have not added taxispeed gauge or utility. The Vickers aircraft show "differential braking" when only one brake applied.

Okay, have you installed any airport enhancements or global mesh recently, or any other kind of AI aircraft utility?

Guest hotshotmaverick

Tom, thank you for your reply.

Would you be able to give me some more details as to which MOI's should be increased.

I am familiar with modifying the aircraft.cfg files I just need some specifics so I get it right.

Thanks.

Guest hotshotmaverick
I changed the Yaw MOI to 2640000 on my DC8, DC10 and L1011 aircraft and I am pleased to say the result was great. Unfortunately I did not have the same success with my B707, B727 and B737 aircraft. Any thoughts as to why the change would not work on the Boeing aircraft?

Guest hotshotmaverick
I do not have a clue as to what Contact Points to change or to what value. I have done editing to the aircraft.cfg file when I have imported or deleted aircraft but I have not really done anything with any of the more intricate sections of the file.

This is for the FS9 B747-400

FSX is more demanding when it comes to MOI's. In FS9 you need less MOI values than in FSX. But you can 'stiffen' handling as Mr Wilson said by changing MOI value higher.

What is happening with the 'rocking' is that the sim is using yaw to make tiny, but constant, corrections or changes as the ac moves down taxi way. It's 'hunting'. This yaw changes is done with the rudder. The rudder has effect on roll (in air file, section 1011). These get amplified if the MOI for roll is wrong (low). The Boeings have a higher MOI value (example: 35,000,000) than MD's (example: 2,600,000).

But, butt, cigerette butt: if the gear compression ratio is 'loose' this also will amplify the 'side to side' (roll) when Sim is 'hunting' for the correct heading it is trying to achieve. Try the values below. It will 'stiffen' the compression. It's ONLY FOR AI so no matter if it's 'off spec'. You want 'damping' and this will do it. And also, maybe, your (axis) rudder sensitivity should be 90% with 5% null. Can't hurt.

//Gear

point.0=1, -25.0, 0.0, -17.5, 1000.0, 0, 2.0, 70.0, 0.5, 3.5, 0.900, 9.0, 8.0, 0, 220, 250

point.1=1, -114.0, -18.0, -21.3, 2000.0, 1, 2.0, 13.0, 0.5, 4.5, 0.900, 11.0, 9.0, 2, 220, 250

point.2=1, -114.0, 18.0, -21.3, 2000.0, 2, 2.0, 13.0, 0.5, 4.5, 0.900, 11.0, 9.0, 3, 220, 250

As this is a stiffer compression your gear may be off the ground by 0.200 feet. Does it matter (it's AI)? If it does then change the height values (-17.5 to -17.2, -21.3 to -21.0, and -21.3 to -21.0). OK? OK!

MS gave the B747-400 the SAME MOI's in FS9 and FSX. Change it? Perhaps (FOR AI ONLY) it's best to change the moments by doubling (yes 2X) the MOI's for the Boeings. Nothing bad happens as thes tubes are not going to be doing aerobatics and are mostly straight line flying type ac. It may make you AP turns bigger radius. But that you can handle I guess. It all depends on what you are willing to give up in order to gain the upper hand with your 'custom' mods to the Sim. Your call.

//FS9

;Moments of Inertia

empty_weight_roll_MOI = 23352310 //o=13352310

empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 44223159 //o=24223159

empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 69531785 //o=39531785

empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0

PS:

Perhaps you can use one paint for AI and leave the other paints alone. Then use that one paint as the AI ac. Then you can fly the other paints normally. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived