FSX will not recognize any ADD-ON Scenery

perypoo663

I am not new to FSX, but have not been using it for quite a while. I have been trying unsuccessfully to use Add-On scenery, e.g, Ray Smith's Tampa International, Orlando Int'l, EWR and so forth. No matter what I do, it does not pick up the added scenery. I've uninstalled and reinstalled FSX thinking that maybe a critical file was corrupted, but nothing works. I am running Windows 10. Any suggestions?

How did you install them ?

Is it some execute(auto-install) routine or you did put the folders in the addon folder of FSX and finish the procedure by goin to setting/library and add the sceneries in FSX library ?

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

I may not have done it correctly. I added the folders to the Add-On Scenery folder (there were only bgl files, no textures?). When I go to settings, I don't see any files there. Am I missing a step? No, no auto-install feature. Is there a good utilities file out there that can do this automatically?

I may not have done it correctly. I added the folders to the Add-On Scenery folder (there were only bgl files, no textures?). When I go to settings, I don't see any files there. Am I missing a step? No, no auto-install feature. Is there a good utilities file out there that can do this automatically?

Did you actually put the folders in the Add-On Scenery folder or did you just move the individual files? Your phrasing indicated you put the folders in there. If so, you must go through the procedures to add each folder to the Scenery Library. If you only copied files in there, they should work.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

There are two ways to add scenery to FSX. Basically, anyway.

1) Unzip the downloaded files (most come as zip files of some sort) into a temporary folder someplace. If there are only .bgl files, you can A) copy them into the folder \FSX\Add-on Scenery\scenery or B) Make a folder, where ever you like, and place them there. The folder must appear as thus \newscenery\scenery (as an example), with the .bgl files in the \scenery folder. If there are texture files, then add another folder to the \newscenery folder thus: \newscenery\texture.

If you do place them into your own, newly made folders, then you must:

2) Go into FSX, Setteings, Scenery Library. Select Add New Area, and navigate to where you put your newscenery folder. Wherever you placed it. In the \FSX\Add-On Scenery folder is fine, but anywhere else you choose is fine, like, for example D:\Temp\newscenery. Click on it, and when it goes to the next screen, showing the \scenery and \texture folders in it, rclick anywhere on the empty, blank, white area around the two folders. NOT on one of the folders or on a button down below, such as the OK button. You will be sent back to the Scenery Library screen automatically when you do. Then Ok on out, letting it rebuild it's databases on the way out.

This is the usual way of adding a downloaded scenery to FSX, since they usually come with their own SceneryName\scenery and \texture folders already made for you.

By the way, please tell us you didn't put your FSX into C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86)? If you did, there will be other problems for you...

Does this clear things up for you?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

By the way, please tell us you didn't put your FSX into C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86)? If you did, there will be other problems for you...

Hello Pat! Thank you! This was very informative. I never had a problem with scenery and/or aircraft in other versions of FS prior to FSX. I will print out your directions and attempt to follow to the letter. Quick question about the folder name, should it actually contain the "" in the name? e.g., "\newscenery\scenery"? Here is an example of one of the scenery and the folder which contains the bgl file Tampa_ktpa_fsx

Do I just copy/cut and drop this file into the Addon Scenery\scenery folder as is? If so, I've tried that.

With regard to your last question (above), yes. That was the default location my computer install to. There was already a folder called "Microsoft Games". What sort of other problems? It also installed MS Train Simulator, Open Rails and Steam to OS ©\Program Files (x86). Should I uninstall and reinstall elsewhere? If so, where do you recommend? I really appreciate your help!

Perry

I explained the install process here one time, in this thread. I hope that helps.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?287659-HELP!-I-can-t-manage-to-get-the-addon-scenery-to-work!&p=1908263#post1908263

About the default location Program files (x86)

That location and C/Program Files

are protected locations in Windows.

Windows stops programs from making change to other programs. It's a very usefull antivirus measure. It prevents malicious programs from making changes.

It used to be that for example AntiVirus programs would get disabled by malicious software, simply by replacing one file of your AVsuite by one that didn't work. With the Win7/8/10 system that's a thing of the past.

It does mean hat Windows will protest, or simply not allow, changes to the FS folder if you put FSX in there.

In fsx you often need to edit files, or use basic installers that install files in there. To be able to do that most people install FSX to a different location.:

For example C:/FSX

or C:/FSX

or maybe D:/FSX

Keep he path short. There's a long folder structure to come after.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...
Top Gun, you hit the nail on the head for me. I moved the Flight simulator programs out of the program (86) folder. I made a FSX folder as you suggested and put everything in it. Now any changes I want to make (scenery, add airplanes, etc.) happens without a hitch. Win10 was protecting that directory. Thanks Guy

Top Gun, you hit the nail on the head for me.

Which "Top Gun?" I think you're referring to il88pp. The "Top Gun" designation is something the web site supplies based on the number of posts, in the same way that you have "Junior Member" at the head of your posts.

In any case, glad you got the solution.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

The original thread date was from 2016 (4 years ago). 'grtucker60' did not post anything in 2016. He just now posted to an old thread. :-)
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

And top marks to him for actually doing a bit of searching to resolve an issue instead of simply asking for help - especially when its a well known and documented issue like the one he had...

It shows the value of keeping old threads 'alive' and not archived, or worst, deleted.

Regards

Brian