FSX SE - Will it run on my laptop?

Guest flightsimyqt

Guest flightsimyqt

I just got a new laptop and i am just wondering how well you think FSX will run on it and if its worth it to invest in ORBX or any other add-ons. My laptop specs are:

Intel Core i5-6200U 2.5 GHz

250 GB SSD Hard Drive

8 GB Ram

Intel HD Graphics 520

Thanks everyone!

First off, Welcome to the forums.

Secondly, that computer "might" run FSX, but with most, if not all, settings on their lowest settings. IMO, you would not be happy with the results. It would be better fitted for FS2004, but don't think you could run that at high settings. Your processor speed is really low, and the HDD would not support much for addons.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just got a new laptop and i am just wondering how well you think FSX will run on it and if its worth it to invest in ORBX or any other add-ons. My laptop specs are:

Intel Core i5-6200U 2.5 GHz

250 GB SSD Hard Drive

8 GB Ram

Intel HD Graphics 520

Thanks everyone!

Not with any semblance of performance, no

And certainly not if you add any ORBX addons.

I'm running it on the following:

Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz 2.30 GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7400M Display Adapter

16 GB RAM

2x 500GB SSD HDD

Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit)

I have FSX:SE and Orbx (Global and Vector) and I don't see any real issues with appearance and flight.

Of course I am only flying the Cessna 172 and Baron 58 right now as I just got into simulations.

Hope this helps.

[quote=

I have FSX:SE and Orbx (Global and Vector) and I don't see any real issues with appearance and flight.

Of course I am only flying the Cessna 172 and Baron 58 right now as I just got into simulations.

Hope this helps.

Kerrycorcoran hit the nail on the head. You can run some scenery addons. Or you can run a few not terribly advanced aircraft.

However you'll probably be terribly unhappy if you try to run much scenery and any advanced aircraft at the same time.;)

HINT: Try to limit everything running in the background!! There are a lot of processes that may self-run without your knowledge. They take up time your CPU doesn't have to waste! CPU SPEED IS THE END ALL BE ALL OF FS!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

HINT: Try to limit everything running in the background!! There are a lot of processes that may self-run without your knowledge. They take up time your CPU doesn't have to waste! CPU SPEED IS THE END ALL BE ALL OF FS!

Perhaps you can offer some clarification. I am new to this hobby and was under the impression by adding the Global and Vector add-ons it would significantly increase the strain on the system; thus far I don't really see any strain.

I need to figure out how to check what my frame rate is to understand if its in the good/bad range too.

Is there something else, scenery-wise that I would add to increase the visual affects?

Perhaps you can offer some clarification. I am new to this hobby and was under the impression by adding the Global and Vector add-ons it would significantly increase the strain on the system; thus far I don't really see any strain.

I need to figure out how to check what my frame rate is to understand if its in the good/bad range too.

Is there something else, scenery-wise that I would add to increase the visual affects?

Don't think you will see that much strain using Global and Vector (Victor). strain on your system will more likely come from addon aircraft , AI aircraft, and scenery upgrades.

Doing a Shift+z several times should get you the FPS reading. Plenty of ORBX freeware areas....PNW along with several freeware airport upgrade for that area.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Global adds nothing to system load - it's a texture replacement. Vector is s different kettle of fish.

Then for the ORBX freeware you need the ORBX libraries up to 2 gigs of additional textures (never less than 650 meg).

And kerrycorcoran your system is an order of magnitude beyond what the OP presents with... you should start your own thread.

Strain on your system will more likely come from addon aircraft , AI aircraft, and scenery upgrades.

Thanks for the frame rate information. What is a good baseline frame rate?

I must have totally misunderstood the Global and Victor add-on; I thought they added or cleaned up the default scenery and texture. What do they actually do?

Any suggestions for a good scenery add-on?

Just wanting to see what this really can look like.

Thanks for the frame rate information. What is a good baseline frame rate?

I must have totally misunderstood the Global and Victor add-on; I thought they added or cleaned up the default scenery and texture. What do they actually do?

Any suggestions for a good scenery add-on?

Just wanting to see what this really can look like.

A good starting point is to set your framerates at 25. The best scenery addons are in my previous post. No idea what Global and/or Vector will do for you. A good starting point for looking at what ORBX products will do for your Sim is to check out the Screenshot Forum and look at any threads started by adamb. His use of ORBX scenery enhancements is unparalleled.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

As above. My laptop is low spec. Orbx is a killer for the most part and had to uncheck any I ran. REX HD Airports caused jaggies even with Standard settings. I think the constant Steam service takes up some minor CPU time. I read somewhere how to run FSX SE without Steam but lost the link. Deffo 25 frame rate. Make sure things like lens flare and shadows are off. Set clouds to lowest. Same with autogen. I also set cars, boats etc to zero. Scenery is a killer but I fly jets and not necessarily a problem at FL 320. Good luck.

• 4 years later...