Best Mac for Flight Sim?

bonnsympatico.ca

Real tyro but former amateur pilot - Cessna 150 & 172 many years ago.

Been playing around with Birds of Steel (PS3) & War Thunder (PS4) - quite realistic flying in SIM - and now want to get into Flight Simulation.

Am a Mac nut & am intrigued by X-Plane 11.

Any suggestions re the components (# of Cores / Graphics card / Display / Hard Drives) to order for a tricked-up Mac?

Thanx for any input!

...John

About the only option for decent gaming or simming on a Mac is the 27" iMac line as you can get a Radeon GPU. Some of the top end 15" MacBook Pros also offer Radeon GPUs, but I'm not sure I would trust them in the run long with the extra being generated in a tight space. A Fusion drive would give you a good mix between speed and storage space. The 27" iMacs start around $2,000 (depending on country), and go up from there.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Time has passed and the question "Best Mac for Flight Sim" is actually again. With Apples Announcement of a new 27" iMac Pro in December 2017 X-Plane 11 may run in a way you never saw before.

Until now I use the last version of X-Plane 10 on an iMac 27" (Late 2013) with 3,2 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, GeForce GT 755M, 1024 MB and some Saitek hardware equipment.

For a better performance in fps and scenery (ex VFR pilot) I need more Video RAM and more software stability. I often get a software crash after flying time more than lets say about 20 min. And wouldn’t it be nice to have a scenery like Apples "Maps" or Googles Maps?

Before I spend some thousands of Euro in a new iMac Pro I am interested on further discussion on this topic with guys who has experience in X-Plane 11 and of cause Mac Computers.

Thanks in advance.

Archived