ATC, Vectors To Final, and Straight In Approach (Gone Wrong)...

Minas Man

Seems like the only time I come here is when I have a problem :mad: Well, here goes...

Flew a flight from Denver Intl (KDEN) to Washington Dulles (KIAD). Everything was going reasonable well until the final approach. ATC vectored me to Rwy 1L. That's not the Rwy I originally choose but that was fine with me. I flew the directions perfectly. The cloud cover was very thick, so I couldn't see the Rwy until I was almost on top of it.

Keep in mind that this was supposed to be a straight in approach. Also, keep in mind that I was on the localizer and glideslope. Every thing seemed fine. Then, when I broke out of the clouds... I realized I was NOT flying straight in to 1L. I was on a 45 degree angle, and almost midway up the Rwy.

I really didn't have time to straighten myself, or even declare a missed approach. So, I hit the ground on an angle, and skidded off the Rwy. Almost hit a fence...Almost ended up in Obama's lap :o

Later (after a sloppy taxi to GA parking). I view the flight analysis. It showed that I WAS on the glide slope and localizer. I SHOULD have crossed the Rwy threshold. But I didn't!!!

Keep in mind that I flew to the same airport in September, with similar results. Am I missing something, here:confused:

Well Stringbean, since I normally make the GPS "disappear" when flying the approach, and follow the "needles", I don't think that's the answer either. Oh well, I'll just write it off as a bad approach, and forget about it. Won't be the first time. :(

I have an updated KIAD that has 1L, 1C, and 1R. I have ILS for 1Left at 110.750, probably due to the update. I just flew a similar,but shorter flight to yours. I took off from a municipal airport in Tennessee and flew full IFR flight into KIAD. I was given 1Left for ILS approach and landing. ALL perfect.

KIAD 1L.JPG

KIAD 1Left.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived