Brakes and Parking brakes

tgon

I've brakes (. period key) and parking brake (Ctrl + . period key) set up on my Saitek X52 Pro via FSUIPC. I've noticed that using the brakes will also disengage the parking brake. This is undesirable when parked and I accidentally activate the brake trigger which may cause the aircraft to roll forward if the engines are operating. How can I stop this happening? To me, a parking brake is a separate function, like in a motor car. Thanks in advance.

Oh noes mrzippy, you were my best hope! standard.xml seems to only map the default controls. There dosent seem to be anything in there that would alter the logic of braking and the park brake function.

I'm wanting to separate the dependency. I wonder if PMDG's 737, 747, 777 models have this realistic separation of functions?

On most light aircraft, pushing the toe brakes will disengage the parking break, so this is natural and properly represented in the sim. Feel free to adjust yours if you don't like realism though.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

And on a 737?

Same, the lever only locks on the brakes. In the 737 pressing the toe brakes will release the parking brake, exactly the same as on 172.

This is normal practice and should be dealt with by the simmer changing their pattern of operation - stop `accidentally` doing the thing that you are doing.

And on a 737?

Interesting reading about how the parking brake is use on a RW 737. It looks like the pilot would press his toe brakes down, while there is still power to the aircraft, and would then set the parking brake, which then holds the pedals down. Stepping on the pedals again will release them.

This may be an overly simplified explanation!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You could assign anything (view change (A or S)), etc) to the joy trigger which would effectively 'disable' it for 'brake' function. So you would be left with having to push '.' for brakes. I myself NEED 'trigger' mapped as 'brake' (for differential braking using joy twist grip and brakes (trigger) at the same time when doing taxi turns. I GOTTA have THAT. Your call.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Greetings All,

If you have a registered copy of FSUIPC you can assign a percent traveled to the brake axis that will keep the parking brake from disengaging. That is to say that you must press the brake pedal through at least X% before the parking brake will release. You'll find the info in the Advanced User Manual, Page 10. Here's the basic extract:

BrakeReleaseThreshold=75: This controls a "brake release threshold", for when your braking is controlled by toe pedals rather than by using the keyboard or joystick buttons assigned to non-axis brake controls. In the latter cases, operating the brakes automatically releases the parking brake (and possibly may also cancel autobraking action). This doesn't normally happen with brake axes being used for braking, as they are separate controls. That could be viewed as a drawback of having proper toe brake action, so this parameter is provided to set the amount of braking needed to release

the parking brake.

The parameter can be set in the [General] section, for application to all aircraft, but also, or instead, in the individual [JoystickCalibration] sections so it can be set individually to suit different aircraft or profiles. The specifc value overrides the general one.

The number is a percentage

Respectfully,

Brian

Archived