Help needed with AI air file swap

sirgen

Hi guys, I remember back in the day in fs9 when I used instructions to make one ai plane fly like another one. You did this by selecting an aircraft in the same class as the one you wanted to fix. Copied the air file somewhere and renamed it to the one you wanted to fix. Open both air files and copied properties from the new file into the one you wanted to fix. I remembered you had to keep the [Contact_points] & [Lights] sections delete everything else and replace deleted sections with the other air flies' data. Can't seem to get that to work now.

Q: Is there a tutorial some where I can use, or can I get any guidance from the anyone who remembers better than I?

Some of my ai planes including my Oskari Syynimaa ATRs taxi around like lorries with massive turning circles ending up on the grass too much.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think you're confusing one type of file for another. Planes have two basic files in their folder. An Aircraft.cfg and an *.air file. I think you're mixing up the names of the two, and all the modifications you want to make should be to the Aircraft.cfg, not the air file, given the "sections" you listed.

Naturally, you want to make a back-up of the recipient plane, let's call it AIPlane2, aircraft.cfg file before you do ANY editing.

Open the "donor" plane's, let's call it AIPlane1, aircraft.cfg, and AIPlane2's as well, with NotePad or another text editor. Do NOT use a word processor, as they add symbols to the file that make it useless to the sim. Copy everything below the [fltsim.X] sections or AIPlane1's aircraft.cfg into AIPlane2's aircraft.cfg file, replacing what's there. Save it off, and give it a try. If it's no good at all, restore the back-up file and you're back where you started, and try a different "donor" plane.

You can also try copying AIPlane1's .air file to AIPlane2's folder, and rename it to whatever AIPlane2's file was named. Again, ONLY after making a back-up of AIPlane2's .air file, in case something is way off in AIPlane1's file.

Does that help at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You are correct Phantom I did mix them up in my post. All I did with the air file was to copy and rename the donor air file and put it with the ai plane that I wanted to fix, together with what you explained with the .cfg file. and now my planes taxi like planes again. Thanks a lot. :)

Glad you got it working the way you wanted :)

Good fortune, and enjoy!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived