REX Worldwide Airports HD

usb777

I see REX has put out a new utility Worldwide Airports HD, Textures for the entire program. Anyone try it yet? I use tier weather texture and if this is anything like that sounds nice. Just wonder how it might affect other third party ad-don airports.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

I tried it. But I could not download it because the servers are down or overloaded.

I am also not sure if spending the 23$ was a good decision. From the huge download, I assume that they replace the airports around the world with their own versions. It is not only a replacement of the default textures. So all strange things can happen, especially with third party airports. Moreover, what about the freeware airports? Are the textures for those replaced as well? Their documentation does not provide any details.

I have another problem. I often fix the default airports (of my Steam version), reusing their buildings. This is to correct taxiways, gate positions, ILS frequencies etc. If I do that with the changed REX airports, will they work without the REX software?

Lots of questions, though.

Rene

I tried it. But I could not download it because the servers are down or overloaded.

I am also not sure if spending the 23$ was a good decision. From the huge download, I assume that they replace the airports around the world with their own versions. It is not only a replacement of the default textures. So all strange things can happen, especially with third party airports. Moreover, what about the freeware airports? Are the textures for those replaced as well? Their documentation does not provide any details.

I have another problem. I often fix the default airports (of my Steam version), reusing their buildings. This is to correct taxiways, gate positions, ILS frequencies etc. If I do that with the changed REX airports, will they work without the REX software?

Lots of questions, though.

Rene

Read the bumph: See past the hype and the vainglorious adverbabble:

It's a set of textures to replace default. Nothing more.

It does not touch addon airports - unless they use default textures

It does not touch freeware airports that do not call default textures

The increased texture load may well be enough to bring your system to its knees or slow texture loading elsewhere in the sim. Look out for blurries, slow autogen loading, and visual spikes.

There are freeware equivalents that enable you to test your system before spending the inflated price being asked for this simplistic enhancement.

It's a 12-buck addon, with superior freeware competitors. They overdid themselves this time.

I keep a fairly clean FSX install on my older computer just for times like these with very few ad ons to use ase a testing station, I might give it a go. Just from past experience with REX thier texture are impressive. $23.00 is pretty moderate compared to a lot of other things I have spent money on.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

There are major issues with this product at the moment over at REX. The servers are overloaded. They just put out a fix, but that is corrupted too. Now even the forum is down and cannot be accessed. If you are considering buying this I suggest you hold off for a couple of days....

Then why is it such a HUGE download? Textures are not that big. What's in those files?

Because it is the same principle as Rex4 Textures for weather. You might ask the same question there, why clouds and sky textures need 17 (!) Gigabyte on your HDD.

Rex Airports is not a simple (single) replacement, but there are multiple textures for the same thing that you can combine at will into "Themes". Every single texture is included in two different resoultions and different "flavours" (like "heavy-use", "light-use"), further adding to the size.

Installed it today on my test system, the jury is still out. Default airports are still default, they are just textured differently. The affected elements seem to be Buildings/Facilities, Hangars, Jetways, Terminals, Parking garages, airport night lighting, runways/taxiways and airport vehicles.

I have and use the original REX. I'm able to change runway/taxi/parking textures the way I see fit. (Example worn, or freshly painted lines).

That's enough for me.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Okay. I installed it. It does indeed only replace textures and airport vehicles (so the scenery library will be updated). It does indeed improve all airports using default textures, including freeware addons with generic buildings. I deselected HD and there was no performance hit. (The main hit are always clouds on my system.)

Is it worth it? I'd say yes, especially if you haven't got the REX stuff (for clouds, I recommend soft clouds). The airports do indeed look better.

Here is one of my frame rate friendly airports (EDDN). It is still only a simple airport. But there are visible improvements.

Screenshot-(797).jpg

With pleasure. The more I see the more I like it.

Rene

Attached you find

Frankfurt EDDF Freeware Addon

Same at the Gate

Amsterdam EHAM Default Steam (OpenLC Europe)

Salt Lake City KSLC Default Steam (OpenLC North America)

Same at Night

Tokyo Intl. Default Steam

EDDF.JPG

EDDF-Gate.JPG

eham.JPG

kslc.JPG

KSLC-night.JPG

tokyo.JPG

Personally, the price it not much so folks who don't already have a texture upgrade might give it a try. But:

- I don't spend too much time at default airports these days.

- I might have some freewares that will benefit

- I have Zinertek anyway and it does an adequate job quite frankly. and then ensure you reinstall a your texture theme from REX if you have it and you will get the runway texture you like...and presto...good to go.

So for me its of no interest. I think the hype launch was ridiculously over done, sorry but in no way did this draw me into running to buy it. I always take my time, ensure that this is going to be of long run benefit and use.

If I do anything at all I look to find freeware upgrades to airports and AFCADs that will improve my flight experience, a great great many defaults are useless.

Yep, Zinertek looks like a very good alternative. The images on their web page even look better, but as I said I did not go for the HD textures of REX. However, I was not aware of the product before. Would have bought it long time ago. Advertisement is sometimes useful.

As to the Youtube video with the cars running through the airport, this cannot be due to the new textures. He should install another airport (e.g. the one I made).

Hi,

I think for the price it is a good addon, it upgrades all the default airports out there. I picked it up the day it was released, had it installed within an hour. I made a qick video with my flight deck and I think it looks good for a default airport.

Defalut P3D3.4 airport with HD Airports from REX:

I installed it today and like what I see but not sure do I need to install one of each texture set or can I leave one or two out. Seems like I am forced to use like the ground texture set and cannot delete just that and keep everything else.

Mike G.

After reading so many negative reviews (vs. positive reviews, with many about corrupted downloads and such), on this new REX WWA HD product, I felt the need to chime in. I have never had any doubt on buying any REX product in the past, nor have had any now -meaning yesterday.

No disclaimers needed. I have no connections to REX or Zinertek whatsoever. I'm simply a customer of both devs. It's just 'honesty' now on how I feel towards both products -and the need to add something positive for the newest one...

I'm not going to go to any of the other flight sim sites to opine. I'll just rant here, where imo it counts the most...

Same concept, but nothing like theirs. Read about it and compare.

I have both, the first one mentioned (the "theirs" Tim referred to, lets call it the "Z version"), I bought a while back here at the FSPS.

For how small it was, I was impressed by what it added to all of the default airports. It worked as advertised, for FSX and for P3D.

In short, it was money well spent for what it provided. It filled the need that was definitely lacking in FSX and it's airports. It was and still is a great product. That's why I wasn't worried when buying this new addon from REX, because I knew I had a more-than-capable backup if I was disappointed with the REX version. The Z version filled a void that didn't cover the majority of things at default airports that Microsoft's FSX didn't fill.

But this REX version is much better, no question about it.

That's not a knock at the Z version's devs btw, as the REX version offers so much more, just by the download size of the package makes that so obvious.

I do mostly night flying, and it's kind of hard to post any screenshots of any night flight that will do any justice, but in the sim it's very noticeable, for the better. The few day flights I did -in the Carenado Embraer and the Carenado Citation- WWA HD worked as advertised -just fine. It's just I'd rather fly at night, nothing more.

In due time I will do more day flights, and get around to installing this on my P3D. But for now I am very happy with what I got from REX, and what I'm seeing in FSX so far -and with no download or install problems whatsoever on my end.

To sum it all up, again, the Z version is definitevly worth what you pay for it, and it's a very good product. It filled that void I talked about earlier, until something like this from REX came out, and I for one am glad this REX version is finally out now.

I was never worried about any tech issues with WWA HD that the others were talking about here and at the other sites, as the REX devs ALWAYS have your back as far as anything like that goes. The REX devs will never leave anyone hanging.

One look at their website will confirm that. That alone is yet another reason to not be afraid to spend the money to buy this, or any other product REX sells...

In the end, WWA HD an awesome addon. You knocked it out of the park on this one REX, good job! :cool:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I installed it today and like what I see but not sure do I need to install one of each texture set or can I leave one or two out. Seems like I am forced to use like the ground texture set and cannot delete just that and keep everything else.

I figured out how to pick and choose manually since there are only a little over 300 different textures things like hangers and Jetways fairly simple. I just didn't like the Jetway parking looked to much like rust.

Mike G.

Some of the tiling is unfortunately a bit ridiculous. The biggest offender I have found is the "Safedock" and "Stop" sign choice on the main terminal building. If you use this the signs are spaced out every five metres or so all the way around, 3 or 4 per docking gate. Most definitely do not use this option! At this level and price, the product has to look realistic. For me, it is a question of choosing the best out of some mediocre choices, else the airports start to look very weird indeed.....The good news is, that I managed with an awful lot of tweaking, to get EDDN Nurenburg (the only AES FSX default airport), to look quite reasonable. But those options might only work with specific airports, and not globally.

I figured out how to pick and choose manually since there are only a little over 300 different textures things like hangers and Jetways fairly simple. I just didn't like the Jetway parking looked to much like rust.

Point taken Mike. We will work on this.

Archived