FSX Crashing After New Install

monkeysuncle

Hi, all. I have a new PC built, with Windows 10 Home 64bit. I have FSX up and running (albeit not so well....) when one of my motherboard driver updates rendered my entire OS useless. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10, and then install FSX. Now, when I run FSX, it crashes once I hit the "Fly Now!" button: "fsx has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I have FSX Gold with Acceleration, I installed the UIAutomationCore.dll as instructed. I also tried Steve's DXFixer. Nothing is working. I'm not sure how to approach my troubleshooting. What logs should I look at? What setup guides can I follow?

On caveat: When I ran the new install on FSX, I forgot to install it to a different directory than the default. I uninstalled,m then reinstalled it to C:\FSX. Is it possible I may have messed up something there? Should I go for a fresh windows install again and start over?

thanks, Dave

Intel Core i5 6600K 3.9GHz | MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4 25600 | MSI GeForce GTX-950 2GB | MSI GeForce 710 |Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD | EVGA 500 Ba 100-0500-KR 80+ Bronze 500W | Windows 10 Home | FSX Gold With Acceleration

Hi Dave,

In addition to running in Admin mode try changing the settings to start FSX in Windowed mode and see what happens. If it works you can either leave it in windowed mode or switch to full screen once the flight has loaded and then switch back to windowed mode before exiting

Regards

Brian

Thanks, Lesh and Brian. Yes, running as Admin, also tried different compatibility modes. Windowed didn't work either. I'll jump into the pool and re-install the OS if that's what I need to do. was hoping for the magic bullet, but, oh well. thanks again.
Intel Core i5 6600K 3.9GHz | MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4 25600 | MSI GeForce GTX-950 2GB | MSI GeForce 710 |Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD | EVGA 500 Ba 100-0500-KR 80+ Bronze 500W | Windows 10 Home | FSX Gold With Acceleration

Thanks, Lesh and Brian. Yes, running as Admin, also tried different compatibility modes. Windowed didn't work either. I'll jump into the pool and re-install the OS if that's what I need to do. was hoping for the magic bullet, but, oh well. thanks again.

Before you go off half cocked...Let's see what faulting module you are dealing with when you have the crash.

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a

Faulting process id: 0x748

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4

Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll

Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,

you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->

Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.

Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I'll check this evening. I looked this morning at the event viewer, and a few different modules showed up at different times. One of them, I recall, was the g3d.dll module.

If you are getting lots of different of .dll errors, especially msvcr and ntdll .dll files, I would be inclined to download and install the latest Visual C++ 2005 libraries from the MS website. It seems that the 2005 package that ships with W10 can have problems and/or may be corrupted in some way.

If your W10 install is the 64 bit edition get both 64 and 32 bit versions and install both. When you run the installer it will detect the current installed version and will normally offer two install options - Repair or Full. Use the repair option and it will update/replace any out of date, corrupted or missing files. Note that you may have to run the .exe using Admin rights. Also note that you can have multiple versions of C++ installed - each program will use the appropriate version that it needs to function.

Regards

Brian

I have two video cards: the GTX950 handles my 3 main displays, the 710 does two small instrument displays. The need to reinstall my OS is a direct result of trusting the software that shipped with my devices, so I've been a tad hesitant as you can imagine. I've let the Windows update take care of all updates, but perhaps I will take a more direct approach with these drivers.

I installed Visual C++ 2005 but am still getting module errors. They are:

KERNELBASE.dll

fsui.dll

g2d.dll (this comes up the most)

Also, one error listed four files that it thought might be helpful troubleshooting. They are:

dxdiag.txt

fdr.dat

fsx.CFG.txt

scenery.cfg

the dxdiag.txt file seems to have the most helpful info. I can't attach it here (too big), so, if anyone would like me to upload or paste here portions of it, let me know.

thanks, Dave

I would try a couple of things here.

First of all, I would update the video card drivers, using GeForce Experience. I have heard that some people have issues with that, but I have used it for years and have never had any issue.

Second, I would install the DirectX Redistributables, free download from Microsoft.

Reboot after each of these updates.

Does the error in scenery.cfg point to an area in the file?

Jorgen

I have been using GeForce Experience under Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 for years without any issue at all - but I wrote in all fairness that others have had issues, so the OP could see that.

We both do agree that up-to-date drivers could help with the OP's issue, we just don't agree on the method of delivery. Now that new drivers come out about twice a month, a quick and convenient method of getting and installing the drivers, as they come out, would save a lot of time for any user.

Just my bent nickel's worth -

Jorgen

OP here. I updated to the latest NVidia drivers, installed DirectX updates, still crashing. Is my next step to start over?

I looked at the Geforce home page for your video cards. For the GTX 950 the recommended system power rating is listed at 350 W, for the 710 it's listed at 300 W.

The power supply you have listed in your system specs is rated at 500 W.

Now, the crashes occur as you hit "Fly now". This is when the video cards really start drawing power, and I could suspect that your power supply can't handle this surge in power demand.

I would suggest getting a power supply with a considerably higher rating - an old maxim I picked up somewhere in my tech support career said "never under-engineer a power supply".

Opinions on this from other honoured readers are very welcome!

Jorgen

Interesting theory. I built this system with a reliable parts picker, and fell well below 500w when all was said and done. The two video cards consume 90w and 19w, so I think my PS is going to be fine. Plus, I've had it running before on this system before my OS was corrupted.

I tried a few more things including updating drivers, DirectX, etc. got the same error. I decided to try one more thing, and that is to uninstall FSX and reinstall. An interesting thing happened: after I uninstalled it, the taskbar icon and FSX files remained. It was no longer in the list of installed programs, however. When I clicked on the taskbar icon, the app launched. And also didn't crash. So, it seems that my first "uninstall" was incomplete and I've had two installations competing with each other, most likely being the cause of the crashing.

So, I've decided to start over, reformat, do a clean windows install, a clean fsx install. This won't hurt that much, since I'm so close to the starting blocks anyway. Chalk it up to learning. I'll update the thread once I have results to share.

thanks, all!

Archived