B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available

ikrananka

I have just published on YouTube the first video in my Getting Started Tutorial series of videos covering the B-17 The Mighty 8th game.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. If you appreciate the video then please "Like" it and subscribe to my channel to receive updates as I add new videos to the series over the coming weeks.

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks and Enjoy :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The sixth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Training Mission #3: Feathering / Restarting an Engine. I give three different examples of how to shutdown, feather and restart an engine with increasing complexity and difficulty.

The seventh video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Training Mission #4: Bombing (Good Conditions). I give five different examples of bombing, illustrating the effect of the intervalometer setting as well as the salvo switch, with some surprising results!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The eighth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Training Mission #5: Bombing (Poor Conditions). I focus on the procedure I use for the bombing run, correcting for drift and rate error to achieve synchronisation as early in the bomb run as possible.

The ninth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Training Mission #6: Gunnery. This is actually a relatively useless training mission. My main recommendation is to instead practice your gunnery by playing Quickstart Missions #2, #3 and/or one of the historical missions in the game.

The tenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #1: Limping Home. This is a challenging mission to land a badly mauled B-17. I introduce the use of trimming the plane which makes the mission so much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

The eleventh video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #2: Attack of the Axis. In this mission we use the gun stations of our B-17 to defend against a vicious attack by enemy fighters including Bf 109s, FW 190s and the jet propelled Me 262s.

Sorry for the delay in getting this video published. My recording software took a flaky and I was left with a video that had lots of dropped frames and audio out of sync. Took me a while to edit it into something presentable.

• 2 weeks later...

The twelfth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #3: Where are the Little Friends? In this mission we use the gun stations of our B-17 to defend against a vicious attack by enemy fighters including Bf 109s, FW 190s and the jet propelled Me 262s. However, this time there are no "little friends" to help us out.

There are some very impressive fighter explosions in this video.

Again, sorry for the delay in getting this video published. I have been having further issues with dropped frames and audio out of sync in my recordings. I have concluded that it is time to do some upgrades to my 6 year old PC. I'll be doing this in stages starting with a new GTX 1070 video card. I'm switching from AMD to Nvidia in the hope that I'll be able to get reliable recordings at 1440p60 with the Nvidia GPU hardware encoding.

The thirteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the first of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the renowned German fighter, the Bf109.

The fourteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #4: Opportunity for the Axis?. This mission places you in a Bf109 attacking a squadron of B-17s with no "Little Friends" helping them out. Can you succeed - I know I can't?

I need some help with this one. Can anyone beat this mission? Can you give me some tips on how to improve my fighter skills?

• 5 weeks later...

At long last I'm back!!!! Sorry for the long delay, it's been over a month since I published my last video.

The fifteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the second of six Fighter Schools, aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the P-47 Thunderbolt, affectionately known as the Mighty "Jug".

I feel I owe you a little explanation of the delay, which shouldn't happen again, in getting this video published.

It started off with me deciding to upgrade my PC which meant that I spent a lot of time doing research on the latest PC components, selecting those I wanted, buying, installing and testing them. I had to reinstall Windows and my many programs around five times before I finally got a stable system which took far too many days to do. At long last it all came together and I now have a much faster PC than I did before. This will hopefully mean that the issues I was getting of dropped frames and out of sync audio in my videos will be far less likely.

I then had a load of research on the P-47 to do as well as a lot of testing of this fighter in the game. I kept discovering issues and a few bugs in the game with the P-47 and also found that I was useless at landing it. While I finally managed to edit this video down from 1h 45m to 1h 17m, there were around 5 hours of other wasted footage due to errors and mistakes I kept making. As I only get an opportunity to record in peace and quiet an hour or two a day it took me nearly two weeks to finally get this video completed. I can now only hope that it meets your expectations and I very much hope that it is useful. Enjoy!!!

The sixteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #5: Fighter Sweep Over France. This mission places you in a P-47 Thunderbolt attacking a squadron of Bf109s and then a squadron of Me262s. Can you succeed - I know I can't?

• 2 weeks later...

The seventeenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the third of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the renowned Focke-Wulf Fw 190 German fighter.

The eighteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #6: Defense of the Reich. This mission places you in one of four Fw 190s defending against a squadron of P-51 Mustangs.

• 1 month later...

The nineteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the fourth of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the P-51 Mustang, arguably the best fighter of WWII.

• 1 month later...

The 20th video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the fifth of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the Me 262, nicknamed the Schwalbe or Swallow, the first ever operational jet fighter of WWII.

• 3 weeks later...

The 21st video in this series is now live on YouTube. The last of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the P-38 Lightning, the oldest of the allied fighters in the game.

Now all of the fighter schools are complete, I will be getting back to the B-17 in my next video.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 23rd video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I show you how to manually start the B-17s engines when starting a mission. Two different procedures are presented depending upon if you have the game's General Difficulty setting set to Low/Medium or if you have it set to High.

• 2 months later...

The 24th video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I cover B-17 Engine Management analysing the only official source of information on this feature as well as presenting a workaround to a major bug. There is no silver bullet to effective engine management. You must spend time learning how to manage engine temperatures under all circumstance and to practice, practice, practice!!!

Archived