Comparing crash between 2004 version and FSX version

Prim

Hi,

Im an aerospace engineering student and im now doing Thesis about crash simulation. I just tried crashing the aircraft in FSX, but when it crashed, the aircraft will reset automatically by itself. Does anyone have an idea about how to set and let it crashes?

By the way, my supervisor told me that in Flight simulator2004 version, the aircraft can be crashed and allow us to sit there and see how it crashes. Is it true?

Kind regards

Prim :D:o

Regarding FSX only (I don't know fs9)

I'm thinking maybe your teacher meant something a little different.

Maybe he meant that you can judge the exact touchdown position and angle of the plane.

And from that you deduce how a real plane behaves after such a touchdown. (using your knowledge of Mass, velocity, friction, etc.)

I did a lot of flying in fsx. I also read a lot of incident reports on the site AVHarald and watched many Reruns of "Air Crash Investigation", a tv program.

A while ago there was a large crash at KSFO. Terrible accident.

My deepest condolences to the victims.

I followed the news item. The first thing out was images of the debris trail from three angles.

Also a side on amateaur video from a long way away.

From that I managed to deduce a bit about the crash.

I saw the plane was coming in low and slow. Looked like it was stalling. I know that in a stall one of the wingtips tends to dip.

The debris trail showed that the tail had hit first.

And the trail curved to the left a bit.

also:

reports were that the plane 'cartwheeled'.

I thopught it can't have flipped vertically. If so it would not be so intact anymore.

There was however a large cloud of 'dust' in the video.

I cut a small shape of an aircraft out of a piece of paper, and "landed" it on my desk a few times.

-tail hits,

-rudder/elev snap off,

-wingtip (left one) hits ground first.

--no more tail is nop directional stability

--left wingtip digs in.

--engines still powered.

I concluded, it looks like the left engine snapped off first, and with the left wing digging in, possibly the right engine made the plane spin horizontally.

Debris trail could be consistent with a horizontal spin.

That turned out to be pretty much how it went.

----------

A lot of that has to do with understanding a bit of aerodynamics after playng fsx. fsx made me look up a lot.

For example that in a bank, the wing that is pointing up produces more lift then the one that is down.

Some came from incident reports. Where I learned that a plane with a damaged rudder can go into fugoids uncontrollably.

And some from just watching my fsx boeing landing in outside view. If you reduce thrust to soon, you will see the tail strike the ground first.

You can look at the plane in outside view while landing.

You can use + to pop up the 2D panel in outside view, and watch all parameters like speed, while watching your plane at the same time.

(make the panel smaller by dragging the edge with the mouse.)

-----------

Fsx does not simulate crashes.

No view of a plane breaking up, or similar.

The model has a few points defined in it. One is the center of the model, tha tcan not be changed.

Others are defined in the aircraft config file.

some are fixed.

others (the wheels) have "compression" values.

-land on the wheels ok--no crash.

-land on the wheels too hard, exceeding the compression value.--crash

-forget to extend the wheels--you will hit the ground with a fixed point--crash

-nose up to much--you will hit the ground with a fixed point--crash

-nose down too much--you will hit the ground with a fixed point--crash

-hit a building with a wingtip, nose or tail--you will hit the ground with a fixed point--crash

You will either get a crash message and the sim restarts,

Or you switch off "Crash Detection".

No more crashes, No more crash message, you can just do whatever.

A hard landing that would normally cause a crash will show nothing.

A landing without wheels, you will see the plane skip like a stone on water, and the wheels extend automatically.

------------------

In conclusion, fsx is definitly a tool that can help you understand crashes.

You can see what a plane does after certain inputs. Speed, etc.

You can fly a plane in outside view, and use the panel to land it anyway you want. At the same time you see it in outside view. At certain points you can pause the game. Look at the plane from all angles, take screenshots.

That should tell you something.

But it is a flight simulator. Flying is what it's teaching.

So it's either crash or no crash. No scoring system telling how bad the crash was.

--------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSX also lets you record and play back the crash, but as explained in depth above, it's not a crash result investigative tool. It only helps you understand what pilot errors led to the crash. Some models have disintegration animations built into them. Most do not. Regardless, the animations have little to do with the impact characteristics.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived