FSX Gold working on Windows 10 perfectly... Now suddenly 'Fatal Error'!

streets198

Hi all,

I’ve scouring the internet (and this forum) for answers but I can’t seem to find anything that relates exactly to my problem… But similar.

I have new PC (i7-6800k @ 3.40 GHz, 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Graphics Card, 2TB SSD drive, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Direct X 12) and it is actually built by 'Chillblast' as a PC designed for flight simulator. When I first got the PC about 3 weeks ago, I installed FSX Gold… Installed FSX, checked it worked then installed Acceleration. All fine! The program ran like a dream. I last used it about a week ago no problem.

Then yesterday, I fired it up and got a fatal error while loading. It loads the very first splash screen, hangs for 10 seconds, then shows the above error, Windows will look for a solution, can’t find one, sorry mate bye bye. I have tried repairing it via the CD, no change. I then resorted to removing the lot and reinstalling it. I try reinstalling FSX first and then testing it before adding Acceleration. But no joy.

As this is a new PC, I’ve been very careful about what I do on it. The only events I can recall happening since I last used it, was I added 3 programs I have CDs for (RollerCoaster Tycoon, Photoshop and Train Sim, which I had to install Steam for the latter.). I did notice that two days ago, Windows did a ‘critical’ update too.

I have tried a System Restore to a point before the above were added (inc the Windows Update) and still no joy. So I’m totally confused why it was working ok, on Windows 10 64-bit (as it sounds like a few people have had issues with this OS), and now suddenly won’t work, even with a clean install.

I also tried that UIautomationcore.dll file drop I read about, that didn’t work… But then after I read there are multiple types of this file, so if it is that, maybe I didn’t use the right one?

If I have done the event viewer correct, this is the bit I believe you need:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 18/09/2016 11:45:29

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: DESKTOP-QL83IHA

Description:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.60905.0, time stamp: 0x44fd0a92

Faulting module name: HID.DLL, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d754

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000016bb

Faulting process ID: 0x24a4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d21199ba1e229b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\HID.DLL

Report ID: 4be8380b-bc77-400e-b3c9-ad0add1b4885

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

DESKTOP-QL83IHA

fsx.exe

44fd0a92

HID.DLL

5632d754

c0000005

000016bb

24a4

01d21199ba1e229b

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\HID.DLL

4be8380b-bc77-400e-b3c9-ad0add1b4885

Any help greatly appreciated! I’m out of ideas.

Thanks,

Matt

You say that you removed "the lot" (by which I assume you mean FSX) and reinstalled it.

Fortunately, I have never had to uninstall FSX, but I believe that when you have FSX Gold, which is FSX with Acceleration, you need to uninstall Acceleration first, and then FSX itself. Personally, I would add a reboot between the two uninstalls.

There should be several threads lying around in this forum where uninstallation is discussed. You need to read those to make sure that everything has been uninstalled correctly, otherwise there will be problems when reinstalling.

When reinstalling FSX, very early on in the installation process you'll get a question if you want to do a custom install. SAY YES HERE!!!! You want to install FSX to somewhere other than C:\Program Files(x86) where you have it now, point the installer to something like C:\FSX to get outside the reach of the Windoze security nanny. When the FSX installation is complete, fly around for a minute or so, shut FSX down and reboot the system. Start FSX again, now register it, shut down again and reboot. Install Acceleration, fly around again a little, shut down and reboot. Start again, register Acceleration, shut down and reboot.

But, to repeat myself, after the uninstalling, you need to be very sure you really got rid of all the original installation.

As for the uiautomationcore.dll fix, it is important that you get the correct version of this file (there are actually two versions that can be used, search the threads for uiautomationcore.dll), but the real trick is to drop this file ONLY in your main FSX folder and NOWHERE else!!!! This makes FSX use the version you put there, and every other application will use the "normal" Windows 10 version.

Hope this helps some -

Jorgen

Thanks for the advice. However, I found the problem only half an hour ago... And I can't believe what it was! After I posted the thread, I looked at the event log I had posted, desperate for a clue and noticed the fault path, and that it wasn't an FSX folder. A bit of Googling suggested it was a USB device. I raised an eyebrow at that moment thinking how could that be the problem.. Then I realised that two days ago, I swapped out my broken Dell Mouse, for a Microsoft Mouse... BINGO! My mouse was the cause of the issue!!! So I'm back to using my broken mouse!

The symptoms of the error would suggest that the version of the HID.dll file being used is a Dell specific version. What you could try to do is:

1. Open Device Manager, expand the Mice and other pointing devices option and select the appropriate entry for the mouse - it may be simply labeled as HID-Compliant Mouse or Dell HID-Compliant Mouse

2. Right click and select Uninstall from the options.

3. Once the uninstall process has finished, disconnect the Dell mouse and shutdown the PC - do not use restart.

4. Connect the MS Mouse and restart the PC. The new mouse should be recognised by the OS as a new piece of hardware and it will, depending on how you have your OS configured, install the appropriate default drivers or ask you where to find the drivers (ie it will ask if you have a disk or to search the internet and/or fixed drive location). Action as required and follow the prompts.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue with the MS mouse........

Regards

Brian

Archived