FSX SE CTD in full screen mode

Surveyorsteve

Hello all.

I am hopeful that someone out there will take pity on me and give it a good try to help me figure out if I'm beating a dead horse. I have been trying for a year to get this figured out. Has anyone successfully used a similar setup as mine using a GTX 960 with two monitors (spanned) and be able to run FSX SE in full screen mode across both monitors? When I span the two monitors, many of the commands such as ESC, save, change airport, change plane, view video, and many more, crash FSX SE.

I tried 4 different drivers and no difference. I talked with nVidia tech several times and and they conclude it has to be an FSX issue not them. So I talked with Steam Support and nothing was solved. I've researched until I'm blue in the face. What can I do? I've spent a lot of money on my computer, monitors and simulator controls ... too much to have this happen.

Is a GTX 960 just not the right card for my applications? Does it have to have 3 monitors to function properly? If so, What's the next option for video cards? What's the best for FSX SE, Windows 10, and two monitors?

Thanks for reading this. I live in an area where local resources are between very limited and nil. So your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Captain (Steven) Crash

Alienware X51 R2

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

(RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB

DirectX version: 12.0

GPU processor: GeForce GTX 960

Driver version: 359.06

Monitor 1 = Dell ST2410

Monitor 2 = VIZIO E24-C1 HDMI TV

If it CTD's without any error message the issue is likely related to power, card or OS error, not the UI Automation fix (but try it anyway, it can't hurt).

Otherwise show error log and lets look at what the failing .dll or .exe actually is.

It does come up with a message that says" Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." Also. Where do I find the error log?

Where do I find the error log?

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.

One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.

BELOW IS A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU MIGHT SEE!

General Tab:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: This is what we need to Know!

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000ee3a

Faulting process id: 0x748

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0253dc4b69d4

Faulting application path: R:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: R:\FSX\window.dll

Report Id: 9caf77b4-6e50-11e2-8570-3085a99825d1

If there is not one listed:

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000,

you will need to do as previously noted

No Faulting Module? ->

Remove all of the add-ons, and test the sim. If it works OK, then reinstall them one at a time and test.

Be sure to test each thoroughly before moving on to the next

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I was able to try and run FSX SE and create the same error. The following is what I cut and pasted from the error log.

General TAB

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: MFC80.DLL, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcdeca2

Fault offset: 0x0005791c

Faulting process id: 0x1860

Faulting application start time: 0x01d20189f5743422

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL

Report Id: 33e96d6c-8eb9-408f-981c-f6a4c13118ba

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Details TAB

fsx.exe

559f9a9a

MFC80.DLL

4dcdeca2

c0000005

0005791c

01d20189f5743422

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL

33e96d6c-8eb9-408f-981c-f6a4c13118ba

This is the error log after installing MSVC2005 redistributables.

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 8/29/2016 9:30:48 AM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Stevesgamer

Description:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: MFC80.DLL, version: 8.0.50727.6195, time stamp: 0x4dcdeca2

Fault offset: 0x0005791c

Faulting process id: 0x2a54

Faulting application start time: 0x01d202019dc80211

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL

Report Id: 8d7ec804-50cb-4c52-b9fc-99e8aa7e029a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

Stevesgamer

fsx.exe

559f9a9a

MFC80.DLL

4dcdeca2

c0000005

0005791c

2a54

01d202019dc80211

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_cbf5e994470a1a8f\MFC80.DLL

8d7ec804-50cb-4c52-b9fc-99e8aa7e029a

How did you install them? If you simply ran..........

A. the installer directly from the download window or.....

B. by left clicking the .exe once you had downloaded them to a temp folder.....

it might not have installed correctly due to permission issues - basically corrupted files would not have been overwritten.

If A. download the files to a temp folder........before...........

If B. Right click on the file and select the Run As Administrator option from the list......

BTW for info - as you have a 64 bit OS you must install both 32 and 64 versions of the files - yes FSX (all versions) is a 32 bit programme but a 64 bit OS requires both versions to run correctly.

Regards

Brian

I did installs for the x86 and x64 by right clicking on the file in my downloads folder and running as administrator. Nothing changed. However, I did find this http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/530646080866199615/

What do you think about this fix? I also found a site (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/961894) that said I might need the 8.0.50727.3079 version of the .dll file instead of the _8.0.50727.6195 version that is at fault. This is way over my head.

My apps list shows there are:

2 Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable 2005, one with a date of 8/29/2016 (5.74M) and the other with a date of 9/19/2015 (9.70M)

2 Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable 2005 (x64), one with a date of 8/29/2016 (6.42M) and the other with a date of 10/17/2015 (10.2M)

I'm a little afraid to do any fixes until I know they won't make things worse. Thanks for your help. Let me know if this info helps.

Thanks

Steven

Hi Steven,

Having read the first link provided, and the rest of your post, I would ignore the advice given - replacing a single .dll may have implications on other .dll's installed - they may be incompatible with the others installed. Also, downloading such files from non MS sources can have hidden dangers (such as viruses. Certainly, there are a few sites that can be trusted but where possible always download from MS.

It is usual to see multiple entries for the same versions of C++ (they will have different version numbers showing in the Version col) but I think in your case there may be a conflict/corruption of files between the two. You have a number of options available:

1. Uninstall, via Programs and Features, the two older versions. Reboot and test.

2. Uninstall both versions of the 2005 packages and start a fresh by installing the latest available standalone release from MS. Reboot and test.

3. Leave both installed and simply install the latest available standalone release from MS. It should install as a separate version. Reboot and test.

The latest available standalone release from MS can be found using the links below.

32 bit - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

64 bit - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18471

Personally I would try Option 3 first. When the installer is run, it may offer a choice of doing a repair or full install (this is based on what entries it finds in the Regisrty) - try the repair option first. In all options, Windows update will update any files it needs to when it next runs.

Regards

Brian

Kind of a bummer but I wrote a nice long post and it isn't showing up. I wanted to say that I've tried everything we could imagine and the problem still persists. All that's left is (1) uninstall add-ons but this problem occurred almost immediately before any add-ons, and (2) buy two more TVs and try 3 instead of 2 like nVidia says.

Thank you very much for your efforts to help me.

Steven

Steven,

A long shot but worth try this. Although the reports gives a faulting module that points to a specific file it maybe a red herring. Many files will rely on other associated files/processes to run correctly. Therefore, it could be that the reported file is failing to load due to one or more associated files/processes not being present/corrupt/started etc. As it the last file to hit the process queue if it has a problem accessing other files its the one that gets reported.

Run the System File Check (SFC) utility. SFC can be used to scan the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

WARNING If you have modified your system files (including Windows DLL files) running SFC may, if errors are found, revert the some of the system files back to the default state and thus may impact on any other apps/programmes you have installed. In my experience most of the time any affected programme take a little longer to open first time after SFC has been run as it has to re-write information to the appropriate .dll file. In rare cases it may result in having to re-install the affected software (although I have never had to do this myself). I strongly recommend you backup any important data before hand and run the verify only option first to see what problems, if any, you have.

To run SFC go to start > run, type CMD and click OK.

The resulting window should show an entry similair to this - C:\Users\youracctname>

Type cd\ and hit enter - this will take you back to the C:\ prompt

To start SFC type one of the command lines listed below and hit enter

If you just want to verify only type sfc /verifyonly (note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option no changes will be made if errors are found and when it has finished it will display a list of any errors found.

If you want to find and repair errors type sfc /scannow (again note the space between sfc and "/") - using this option the program will automatically attempt to repair any errors found. At the end of the process one of the following messages will be displayed:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.

Note: The process can take a long while to run and may seem to have stalled - it hasn't just wait until you get the one of the messages stated above. If is also worth noting that you may have to run the utiltiy several times to fix all the problems. If the first run found multiple problems and states that it was unable to fix some of them, rerun SFC again. This is because one or more of the un-repaired problem file(s) probably relies on one of the now fixed files to be running correctly to run itself.

If SFC still fails to repair all issues you can try the following utility which can be downloaded from here:

http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic-sfc-corruption-repair-sfcfix-exe/

Regards

Brian

Thanks Brian.

SFC found no errors. :( However Do you or anyone else watching this thread have any idea how executing a shelled command (not necessarily used inside the flight or during the flight) might be affected by a video card issue. I know the menus are video driven but it seems a keystoke for the same command with crash the program also. It would be nice to know where the instructions for for the commands are stored to see what the commands use to execute. But that's way over my head anyway.

Archived