RAID 0 and P3D, a bad idea? and recording FPS...

lacloudchaser

Any comment? Not my area of expertise!

New purpose built flight sim PC, Core i7 6700, NVIDIA GTX 1080 graphic card, etc. Bench tested overclocking of board and video card.

Dual SSD with a conventional HD back up.

ISSUE: Builder configures it with a RAID 0. Units in testing, I heard somewhere that RAID configurations are NOT recommended for flight simulation??

QUESTION: Which FPS and system real time recording display software is recommended, not sure there is any differences, I'm aware of FRAPS.

Easy stuff thanks

There is absolutely no benefit to RAID in flight sims.

I've never tried it but I know that many people use the built in Nvidia recording application Shadow Play

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Easy answer: RAID 0 for the SSD's will offer substantial read/write benefits IF that's where the sim is located.

RAID 0 for HDD's does absolutely nothing for flight sims, which use consequential rather more than parallel reads.

Personally, I'd say that RAID 0/SSD should be compared with a SSD OS/SSD SIM style setup - I don't think the throughput advantage will give you anything more than slightly better loading times.

But TBH since the advent of fast SSD's I no longer bother with RAID.

I have tried it, and there was no benefit. On the other hand, if you lose one drive, you lose everything on the array. Not worth it in my opinion. There are uses for RAID 0, but this isn't one of them.

Thanks for that. For their to be any advantage there would need to be a bottleneck in the access time of a single SSD - and there isn't, at least as far as data throughout for the sim engine is concerned.

Logically, no sense to go down this path. Correct route is OS on one SSD, and P3D installation on the other. You could even locate some really big scenery files independently on the HDD.

Hello, i have a pc similar to yours. Raid0 (stripe) is "risky" IMO if any failure of hardware or software occurs. I use one ssd for os and the other for p3d (i have v3.3.5).

I tried raid0 for fsx long time ago,but it gave me more problems than performance.

Thanks for that. For their to be any advantage there would need to be a bottleneck in the access time of a single SSD - and there isn't, at least as far as data throughout for the sim engine is concerned.

Logically, no sense to go down this path. Correct route is OS on one SSD, and P3D installation on the other. You could even locate some really big scenery files independently on the HDD.

Yep, with lots of small files and fast SSD access times and read rates, RAID 0 doesn't help sims, or games in general (I'm sure someone can find an exception somewhere though). A big advantage for RAID 0 is high sustained transfer rates, which really only apply when working with single, very large files. Video editing with file sizes measured in hundreds of megabytes or into the gigabyte range, for example.

OS and sim on separate drives is a much better plan.

I am digging this community! Thanks, RAID out...

I elected to go with dual 250gig SSD's. I'm going to step in to the danger zone and ask a question I probably don't want the answer to...

How much gigs are you eating up with P3D, your terrain enhancement add-ons, ATC add ons, airplane specific models, etc...

Just general operating experience...I'm sure I didn't need more SSD space...right (the mechanical spin HD is going to hold half eaten frozen dinners, old tools, spare tires and other worthless things.. ;)

Drew

How much gigs are you eating up with P3D, your terrain enhancement add-ons, ATC add ons, airplane specific models, etc...

With UT 2 (Ultimate Terrain, not traffic), FTX Global and Vector and OpenLC NA, along with all the North American ORBX regions, plus sceneries I've built for myself, plus many add-on aircraft and a handful of other things including lots of downloaded add-on libs for scenery creation, my P3D root directory has 135 GB.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived