To Windows 10 or not to Windows 10, that is the question!

taslss

Hello all,

I'm finally getting a new computer. My old one is still running XP. Buying a gaming system primarily to run FSX better than my current one. My question is should I try and buy with Windows 7 or Windows 10? I've seen lots of stuff about problems with 10 that can be fixed if you jump thru the right hoops. I am leaning towards 7 but don't want to buy another outdated system that won't be supported after a few years. Now I've also read that once you "fix" 10, it runs FSX just fine.

Some advice from some more knowledgeable people would be appreciated greatly. I'm not a computer guy, but I like to fly on the sim. If it helps, I'll be loading up FSX Gold with GEX and UT. I'm assuming that my payware products will still load?

Thanks,

Tom

Keep in mind that "gaming systems" are not really built for what FSX requires from hardware. You might want to explore the hardware forum for information before you spend a lot of money.

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

I'm running Windows 10 and I aslo took the opportunity to move to the Steam Edition as it was on sale for just over £5. Apart from the fact that my Just Flight VFR scenery will not run on Windows 10 everything is, if anything, better and more stable.

Alan

Hi Tom,

As stated by others FSX can be successfully run on W10- there is plenty of info in the forums on this site and others that give info on problems and their fixes, the vast majority of which are very simple. From your comments, you appear to have already done some homework WRT problems that may be encountered - something, it seems when reading some of the replies to W10/FS related threads, that many 'anti' W10 pundits don't bother to do and, in some cases, accept.

I run FSX Gold and GEX successfully on W10 with no problems - don't have UT but use FSGenesis with no probs. Some of my payware boxed addons failed to load. This is not due to them being incompatible with W10 (if you have the download version of the same product it will work - I have purchased a download copy of one boxed item and it installed/works with no problems) but because MS removed the SECDRV DRM (Digital Rights Management) tool completely from the OS - on W7/8/Vista it is simply disabled by a Window Update but is still present and, therefore, there are several workarounds available to re-activate the DRM tool if using one of these OS. This problem is not only limited to FSX, all products that used the SECDRV DRM tool are affected - BTW the use of SECDRV as a DRM tool by mainstream developers ceased by late 2010 so few products developed after this date should be affected.

An option you could consider is to install FSX into the W10 OS and if you have major problems get W7 to run a dual OS system and move FSX to the W7 OS.

Regards

Brian

Thank you everyone for the responses. All my payware planes are downloads. No boxed stuff (too impatient to wait). I'm doing as much homework on systems and am having a computer geek friend help me although he does not flight sim. But he does know how to not bottleneck a system. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that "gaming systems" are not really built for what FSX requires from hardware. You might want to explore the hardware forum for information before you spend a lot of money.

+1!! I hear a lot more people being unhappy with how their "gaming computer" works with FSX than how W10 works with FSX!

I'm on 7 and it works fine. Not wanting to fool with changeover, I haven't. However if I were buying a new computer, once I made sure the hardware was optimized for FSX, I'd go with 10 as well.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived