Airline pilot wants to set up FSX, please answer if able!

Hello folks,

I want to go from zero to hero as quickly as I can in setting up FSX or appropriate version on descent hardware to run AEROSOFT AIRBUS A320 (assuming that's the most realistic A320 software for cockpit layouts/functionality). I'm transition to this airplane and I can learn the triggers and flows while inspiring our kids to get in to aviation now that they are old enough.

We just got an Xbox 1, don't see the FSX available for this game counsel (really? this is why America isn't producing enough darn pilots anymore ;), don't see a DVD for sale for PC for FSX, and my attempt to partition our Mac hard drive for Windows 10 for FSX download has failed...

Wow, heck a a barrier to entry for the most popular flight sim software in the World?

If someone would like to describe a sound process to get simming without having to see an anger management therapist I would appreciate it!

...any descent 1) hardware set up/brand/model and 2) what version of Windows is most bug free for Flight Sim...and 3) what version of Flight Sim software is also glitch free (sometimes the newest of all these is NOT the most crash resistant or bug friendly :) - we want to get up and going with Aerosoft AirbusX (320-321) with minimal headaches.

Any suggestions I would appreciate it! Thank you. Now back to the books...

Drew

Welcome to the Forums!

1. MOST IMPORTANT...have a good supply of aspirin on hand....just in case! I find booze pretty handy, also;)

2. If you are looking for a new system to run FSX flawlessly I recommend looking at Jetline systems. These are made especially for FSX (Take out a second or third mortgage on the house) http://jetlinesystems.com/

Most bug free version of Windows? I use XP! More people like Windows 7 over 8 or 10.

3. The boxed versions of FSX/Acceleration are scarce and expensive...check Amazon.

4. FSX -SE (Steam Edition) available at Dovetail games may be your best option. Goes on sale, from time to time for $5.

5. Need help?? Questions in the FSX forums will be answered promptly without too many snickers!:D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thank you, will research!

Welcome to the Forums!

1. MOST IMPORTANT...have a good supply of aspirin on hand....just in case! I find booze pretty handy, also;)

2. If you are looking for a new system to run FSX flawlessly I recommend looking at Jetline systems. These are made especially for FSX (Take out a second or third mortgage on the house) http://jetlinesystems.com/

Most bug free version of Windows? I use XP! More people like Windows 7 over 8 or 10.

3. The boxed versions of FSX/Acceleration are scarce and expensive...check Amazon.

4. FSX -SE (Steam Edition) available at Dovetail games may be your best option. Goes on sale, from time to time for $5.

5. Need help?? Questions in the FSX forums will be answered promptly without too many snickers!:D

Also, I would recommend making a friend in the flight sim community that lives close by. Someone who may be able to actually come over and help you through some problems. There is a lot to learn but the experience will be satisfying in more ways then one. :)

..don't see a DVD for sale for PC for FSX..

No problem, everybody buys FSX by download from Steam nowadays because it's the latest version..:)

Click this link to Steam-

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Then where it says 'Buy Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition' click 'Add to Cart' and go take the dog for a walk while it begins automatically downloading.

Current price of FSX:SE is 20 GB pounds (about 28 US dollars) which is peanuts in the grand scheme of things, heck I spend that twice a week when I visit the grocers to stock up on jelly babies and Pringles!

As for the technical side, I'm the biggest PC dummy around, yet FSX has installed and run just fine on my 2 different computers and a laptop over the years, so if I can do it, anybody can.

And remember, you don't have to learn all the switches, dials, buttons and levers in the cockpit to start with because FSX can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

Moi, I'm a "fun flyer" and like to just boot up FSX, slam open the throttle and I'm away into the wide blue yonder with a grin on my face bigger than a wave on a slop bucket..:)

I bought the Steam Edition a few weeks ago, it was only £5, and it's running fine on Windows 10. I also purchased the Saitek yoke, throttle and rudder pedals (essential minimum IMO), as well as multi switch and radio panels. I have mapped a couple of cheap keyboards to copy the switch activities. It's a generic setup and there are probably better, but more expensive ways, to emulate an Airbus.

FSX at the basic level leaves a lot to be desired. There are hundreds of add-ons that make it much better but be prepared to spend a lot of time and money getting everything to work together to your satisfaction. If money is no object take a look at some of the Youtube videos to see what can be achieved. There have been sevearl times when I have felt like kicking my rig out of the window. ;-)

Alan

Xbox .... ?

Mac .... ?

They are not applicable to FSX flight Simulation .

My recommendation is to locate a computer store in your locality that either specallises in

Flight simulator set ups or at least has some experience with them.

Be cautious as the cost of a capable computer rig can vary vastly , and some units have outrageous prices .

Get good advice on a unit that will meet your requirements , it should be able to run ,

FSX , your aircraft , and probably good scenery such as ORBX with several good payware enhanced airports .

Visit the stores , talk to them , pick their brains , a build up information or a picture of what meets your needs .

Do not rush into a purchase in the first instance , firstly digest the information , then when you feel ready make your purchase .

Choose wisely as you have to live with that final purchase , and if you don't choose wisely , then you most definitely will require the services of a therapist .

Get the store to load the operating software ( ie; Win 7 ) , FSX , the aircraft and any scenery addons that you desire .

That should meet your need to go from zero to hero without having to go through a long learning curve on computer setups and installations .

Getting good help from a reliable store will save you some of the problems that manifest many of the forum topics .

Cheers

Karol

Another thing, I've been playing FSX for 8 years and the only addons I've added in all that time is a strip of southern england photoscenery and a bunch of mostly freeware planes.

As for weather addons and other fancy stuff, I never bothered because for me default FSX is beautiful enough just as it is..:)

When choosing watch these numbers. They are very important. These are the minimums.

FSX:Steam

System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: 2.0 Ghz or higher (single core) Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: DirectX®9 compliant video card or greater, 256 MB video RAM or higher, Shader Model 1.1 or higher (Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required)

Aerosoft Airbus

System Requirements •Microsoft Flight Simulator X (SP2, Acceleration Pack or Gold Edition) or Lockheed Martin Prepar3D (V2)

•Windows VISTA, Windows 7, Windows 8 (all fully updated) (64 bit version highly recommended)

•3.0 GHz processor (Dual Core processor or equivalent system recommended)

•2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)

•Mouse with mouse wheel (please note the controller and mouse with mouse wheel are absolutely needed)

•3D Graphics Card with minimal 512 MB (2 GB recommended)

•Control unit (joystick) with throttle and rudder control

•Installations-Size: 2.5 GB Hard Drive Space

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I don't do airliners , so my advice is limited .

The OP is in the process of transitioning to an " AIRBUS A320 " .

So I should imagine that he needs :-

1. AIRBUS A320 at about the PMDG level .

2. Panel that includes a reasonable functioning " FMS " unit .

3. Possible access to payware " NAVDATA " to utilise approach , ILS plates/charts ,SID ,STAR , airways charts .

4. At least 4 high detail payware airports to enable gate to gate procedures from bay start up , push back , taxi ,

take off at V speeds , SID , en route flight planning , STAR , ILS , landing , taxi , shut down at gate .

As the originator is using the sim to supplement transition training on the 320 ,

I would assume that the FMS - FMC function would be of vital procedural interest .

Cheers

Karol

If our OP is transitioning to real-world piloting then I wonder why Prepar3d isn't the first thing on the list?

Op wants it for his kids! I think he's just going to play with it!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The questions that come to mind for the OP to answer...

-- Where's he planning to fly; Heathrow? La Guardia/JFK/NYC TCA? Idaho Backcountry?

Lots of AI? Just wondering, because does he...

-- ... have a specific expectation of how the Sim should both look and operate?

We all know that, depending on Location and AI density, certain (popular) spots in our FS World (like the above locales; read: add on Airports) seem to slow to a crawl. How many times has a Simmer commented on how and why the Sim slows to slideshow speeds whenever he/she flies into EGLL, with some [insert Name of payware] Airport?

The OP is looking to 'familiarize' himself with the Airbus, with close to RW functionality; I wonder if he's expecting the same results with the FS World as well?

I just don't want the OP to expect something that we know takes a little tweaking and understanding of the Sim's foibles to achieve...

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Fantastic level of responses, thanks all.

For me, I'm moving from Boeings to Airbus and learning the Airbus "trigger and flows" my company demands and the MCDU programming, pilot display and nav panel annunciations, etc. So my interest in the immediacy was more "heads down" work (chair flying of panels).

But the follow on is a few 11 year olds following me to work virtually in shooting a visual to instrument approach in to US major domestics (DFW, MIA) and the caribbean.

I'm reading each of your responses and doing the due diligence based on your suggestions. Already I realize that this is a fairly major project as to be expected with software/hardware simulation demands.

Thanks again.

Hi lacloudchaser

As I suggested earlier check with local computer stores , it is best to find stores that repair or custom build computers for domestic use .

Avoid the Mega electronic outlets they sell domestic units which often will not be suitable or capable enough to run FSX , FSX requires a powerful computer , the large franchise outlets are only interested in sales , and I would not trust their product assurances , you will end up with a computer that is not configured for FSX .

Phone around and ask if they do units for flight simulations , if you find a store that does , visit them and talk face to face , quizz them and take notes , ask to see a computer that has FSX loaded .

Be wary , take your time in making a purchase decision .

If at all possible track down someone locally who does flight simulation and try discuss the subject either on the phone or better still face to face .

As always it is best to get information from several sources if that is possible .

I checked the Aerosoft 320 and the product description looked good , good systems avionics MCDU and functions ,

I would recommend at minimum at least one enhanced complex payware airport for approach departure plate/chart procedures .

I use FSX for drills , such as check lists , procedures , radio NAVAIDS , IFR letdowns , ILS , etc .

FSX is perfect for that kind of work .

Evidence of the capability of FSX is that Locheed Martin purchased a variant of it as a basis of Prepar3D ,they specifically market to commercial and military operators , these operators had previously used software that in many respects was woeful compared to what we access in FSX .

I created a Synthetic ILS instrument and was amazed at the astonishing accuracy of the underlying FSX geographical structure , I was able to enter Lat/Long positions with accuracy better than +/- 1 foot , in experiments I got it down to Inch accuracy although that's not of practical use for flying purposes .

FSX functionality is really stunning .

Break you research into two aspects ,

1. Computer Hardware ,

CPU - GPU - Motherboard -hard drive - memory - PSU

2. Software ,

Operating system - FSX - AIRBUS 320 - Airports

and getting then loaded/installed .

Good luck

Cheers

Karol

Hi,

Just to stick my 2 pence worth in, when I changed from FS9 to FSX I read through the Nick Needham Bible post from July 2013, it REALLY is a fantastic post that answers most of the questions you will need to ask. There is so much info in there and I pretty much followed it religiously and now have a great setup that has been running really well on W7 pro 64bit for 2 years or so without having to continually tweak and faff around :).

The only difference is I use SSDs instead of mechanical hard drives, but the setup and tuning of the operating system and FSX, and the regular maintenance is as Nick has written. I have included a link below, it is defo worth a look,

Good luck and welcome to our fantastic Sim world ;)

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

I bought the FSX Gold Edition maybe 5-6 years ago and just installed new on Windows 10. Everything appears to work fine.

This sim is 10 years old so any relatively new pc will run it on high settings. Also, I think DoveTail is due out with the next versoin of Microsoft Simulator this year? Or early 2017? The Steam edition is cheap enough though that you can buy it now as well.

You can tweak the amount of AI airliners and GA flying around into and out of airports as well as a hundred other tweaks.

Just buy the thing and load it and try it. $25 isn't going to ruin anyone's life in any eventuality. Get to it.

I bought the FSX Gold Edition maybe 5-6 years ago and just installed new on Windows 10. Everything appears to work fine.

This sim is 10 years old so any relatively new pc will run it on high settings. Also, I think DoveTail is due out with the next versoin of Microsoft Simulator this year? Or early 2017? The Steam edition is cheap enough though that you can buy it now as well.

You can tweak the amount of AI airliners and GA flying around into and out of airports as well as a hundred other tweaks.

Just buy the thing and load it and try it. $25 isn't going to ruin anyone's life in any eventuality. Get to it.

+1!! IT'S A GAME!! Many of us who are disabled for many reasons and can't legally RW fly today as we used to be able to fly are addicted to the only way we can "fly" today RW or anywhere we can relive the RW experiences we had.

And truth be told. IMHO many lives would/will be saved if the "RW" people will consider the RW experiences we had before we could no longer RW fly!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Just curious: Where the heck this "Real World" place you speak of? I seem to have faint recollections (big word of the day!) of something along those lines buuuuuttt.....

Oh well, I don't really worry about things like that. I am sure that if/when it comes up and bites my...NOSE...I figger it out.

:D :p :D

Have great flights, all, "Real" or in our Sim-world!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The OP mentioned twice "trigger and flows". I am trying to get a true grasp of what this guy is asking. I googled this term and came up with this article:

http://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/checklists-and-callouts-keep-it-simple-avoid-distraction-prevent-ineptitude

I am not a real world pilot so excuse me for my ignorance if I am taking this in the wrong direction. I was just wondering if we can be more specific in the information that we are presenting. This, to me, sounds like a very intrinsic subject for a pilot.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Each airline has unique trigger events (such as the guideman showing the pin after disconnecting the tow bar after push/start) that automates - triggers - a pilot response to complete a series of actions in a very specific step by step "flow" without assistance of a printed or electronic checklist.

It's just a relatively minor "side use" of a simulator for practice (school next month for me).

Hope that helps,

Drew

+1!! IT'S A GAME!! Many of us who are disabled for many reasons and can't legally RW fly today as we used to be able to fly are addicted to the only way we can "fly" today RW or anywhere we can relive the RW experiences we had.

And truth be told. IMHO many lives would/will be saved if the "RW" people will consider the RW experiences we had before we could no longer RW fly!

"IT'S A GAME!!"

Yes thank you!

I'd add a RW pilot should have enough money to also get X-Plane and/or Prepar3D. Though Lockheed will do fine without sales of it's civilian flightsim we need to support X-Plane and Prepar3D as well. Sales of these sims will allow for future development and improvements and both are superb.

Archived