question about AFM Aerodrome Flattening Meshes

epopchock

Hey, guys,

I currently have a problem with Colombia's SKCL (Cali)airport on my flight simulator. The airport looks like it is in a giant sinkhole, and as a result, I haven't been able to fly there. So, after doing my research, I am considering the option of purchasing the AFM Aerodrome Flattening Mesh tool. However, I would like to know whether this tool can be used without FS/FTX Global, or if you have to have FS/FTX Global installed in order to use this product.

Evan:)

There are different products in play here:

- ORBX FTX Global Vector has an airfield elevation correction (AEC) database

- Pilot's AFM is a different product which contains only a (vast) set of flattening BGLs.

- Pilot's FS Global Vector is yet another vector enhancement product which seems to inlcude Airport corrections too.

FTX Vector AEC and Pilot's AFM theoretically are not supposed to be used at the same time, but if you turn off AEC, you can make them work together. Pilot's say that with their FS Global Vector product AFM is no longer necessary. Don't own and cannot comment on FS Global Vector though. But I do have FTX Vector and AFM/FSGUX. In my experience, AEC corrections are fewer in number than AFM, so there is a chance that you will not find a particular correction mesh for your airport. AFM btw is a part of Pilot's FS Global Ultimate mesh product too (at least it was included in mine).

I would recommend that if you planned on having a vector enhancement product anyway, then go with ORBX FTX Global Vector and use the AEC in there - but make sure that your desired airport is actually corrected. AFM is another option, but you should weigh buying only AFM against buying the whole mesh product it was made for (and where it is included anyway) - FS Global Ultimate.

You could try using ADE to correct the elevation yourself too.

There are different products in play here:

- ORBX FTX Global Vector has an airfield elevation correction (AEC) database

- Pilot's AFM is a different product which contains only a (vast) set of flattening BGLs.

- Pilot's FS Global Vector is yet another vector enhancement product which seems to inlcude Airport corrections too.

FTX Vector AEC and Pilot's AFM theoretically are not supposed to be used at the same time, but if you turn off AEC, you can make them work together. Pilot's say that with their FS Global Vector product AFM is no longer necessary. Don't own and cannot comment on FS Global Vector though. But I do have FTX Vector and AFM/FSGUX. In my experience, AEC corrections are fewer in number than AFM, so there is a chance that you will not find a particular correction mesh for your airport. AFM btw is a part of Pilot's FS Global Ultimate mesh product too (at least it was included in mine).

I would recommend that if you planned on having a vector enhancement product anyway, then go with ORBX FTX Global Vector and use the AEC in there - but make sure that your desired airport is actually corrected. AFM is another option, but you should weigh buying only AFM against buying the whole mesh product it was made for (and where it is included anyway) - FS Global Ultimate.

You could try using ADE to correct the elevation yourself too.

I tried ADE, but I haven't been able to get it to work with my version of FSX because I have the standard version, and the required SDK (Scenery Development Kit), only is provided with Deluxe, according to what I have researched. Also, I have recently learned, through more recent online research, that ADE doesn't get the job done as fast. So that's why I am considering the option of purchasing AFM. I do have the freeware ORBX airports package on my flight simulator, but I don't have any FS/FTX Global installed. May be switching to it at some point though.....

Archived