FSXSE freezing long flights

recon14192

My FSX has an odd sort of stuttering that occurs on flights over four hours. It will freeze and will say not responding then if I wait a few seconds it will continue to run then later repeat the same freezing and continuing process. This makes the game unplayable with the couple second delay. Does anyone know how to fix this.

System specs:XFX Force Radeon R9 270 Graphics Card, AMD FX-6300 Six Core Vishera Processor 3.5 GHz, GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P ATX Motherboard, EVGA 600B Bronze 600W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

Edit: This has happened with multiple aircraft both payware, freeware, and default.

All other processes shut down? Antivirus program in silent mode? Not surfing the Web because you're bored?? Blown the dust and debris out of the computer case recently, no fan filters dirty or blocked?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Can't have all other process shut down because VA flying, so I need smartcars open. CPU and GPU temperature stable around 43 degrees C. I have my antivirus on so I will try that, but I would like to still investigate what other possible sources of error there are.

Is your CPU usage at 100% during the freeze-ups? Do you have a way to turn off only Windows processes?

HP p7-1020 | AMD Phenom II x4 960T 3.0 Ghz | 8gb RAM | Asus Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2gb | Windows 7 64 bit

FSX Gold | X-Plane 10.45 | Saitek PZ45 Throttle Quadrant | [Vintage] Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick

• 6 months later...
Recon, I have the exact same problem on FSX. I have to restart FSX. That is the only thing I found that worked. I have windows defender and I have it in silent mode.

Yes, what you're doing is the equivalent of "Gaming Mode" in most antivirus programs.

Frankly I don't fly VA. So I don't know exactly what that entails as far as internet useage. I'd have to understand a lot more details before I personally had the nerve to go to gaming mode when I know I'm on the internet? Yes, I've been called a "tin-hat" before. But I've (KNOCK WOOD!!!!) never had a virus issue in all the years I've been online. ;)

I believe in an ounce of prevention rather than a pound of cure!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I don't fly VA either, but that could be a cause if both you guys that have problems fly VA. But I don't really think so.

The other common denominator that I see is that both of you have Radeon graphics cards. But really, I don't believe that is root cause.

Zap51 is running Win 10. Recon, what version of Windows do you have? Have Win 10 myself and have never seen anything like this.

Jorgen

Blown the dust and debris out of the computer case recently, no fan filters dirty or blocked?

+1!!! I've had more than one friend with performance issues and it was because his computer had dirty innards!! Clean them regularly!!

Another issue I've found is people are using a bunch of USP ports which aren't powered. By that I mean they just plug their USB item into the computer. Having too many USB items drawing voltage down from your mainframe can cause excess heat, low voltage, and a ton of other seemingly unrelated issues.

I strongly urge anyone who uses more than say two computer USB ports at any given time to spend the $10-$20 and get a powered port adapter. Just because you have a ton of ports on your case doesn't mean they can all be used at once!! With a powered port you can plug your USB items into your adapter and it will power them without sucking power from your computer itself!! That helps keep your computer cool and fully powered!!:cool::cool:

Michael

Another issue I've found is people are using a bunch of USP ports which aren't powered. By that I mean they just plug their USB item into the computer. Having too many USB items drawing voltage down from your mainframe can cause excess heat, low voltage, and a ton of other seemingly unrelated issues.

I strongly urge anyone who uses more than say two computer USB ports at any given time to spend the $10-$20 and get a powered port adapter. Just because you have a ton of ports on your case doesn't mean they can all be used at once!! With a powered port you can plug your USB items into your adapter and it will power them without sucking power from your computer itself!! That helps keep your computer cool and fully powered!!:cool::cool:

Michael

+1 powered USB. I also suffered from an unresponsive FSX SE on very long flights and this seemed to help the problem. Along with ensuring my graphics driver was stable.

That reminds me - if you have a desktop computer, and it's sitting on the floor, then get it OFF THE FLOOR - NOW!!!! Having it on the floor is one way of guaranteeing that it will get full of dust and crud very quickly.

Jorgen

+1!!! Thanks Jorgen!! I should have thought to mention that as well.

Michael

I had a problem with frequent stutters and eventually total freezes after flying for about half an hour.

I tried dis-enabling (unchecking) all sceneries in the Scenery Library that I wasn't using for a particular flight, and now, ZERO stutters and freezes! :)

FSX Acceleration, DX10 with Steve's Fixer.

Archived