FSX Strange rendering/texture problem (buildings & aircraft invisible, airport gone..

SimonIH

Hello all. Pardon if there's another identical thread like this, but I wasn't able to find any one similar to this problem.

So, yesterday I was about to fly online; everything set up and ready to go. In fact, the controller already gave me 'push and start' clearance when this happened.

I was about to adjust the 'Scenery Complexity' slider, then exit'ed the display menu, finding out shortly after, that the terminal had turned invisible. The scenery went invisible as well, really strange. I have encountered this problem before, but it normally appears at the end of the flight. I then adjusted the 'filtering' because I knew it had something to do with it, but actually it turned out worse. Now everything was gone, except the plane.

The buildings basically turns invisible, as well as the airport vehicles. Something it even affects the plane itself, by eliminating the outer fuselage, so you will be able to see the seats from outside.:confused:

I eventually had to cancel the flight :(

I have a little video proof:

https://sendvid.com/xhh3zsrc

Greetings!

From you're video, I see that you have change the anti aliasing mode to "trilinear", and most of it this is the problem. Once the sim was loaded with the 3d rendering the video card wasn't able to render the other mode. First of all NEVER change the video mode option while in the sim, but previously! Second, give a check to you're fsx.cfg, especially to the section [bufferPools].

A typical setting for a middle low-end video card is:

[bufferPools]

Usepools=1

Pool size=8388608

RejectThreshold=262144

Of course in case that you have a high end video card (at least a 750 series), you could have Usepools=0, without using the other two values.

I don't explain why and how it works, because is a little long and tricky to understand the process, let's say is like a steam gauge for all you're block of memory which help the video card rendering process.

Inviato dal mio Sirius_QS utilizzando Tapatalk

Alright.

1. Which anti aliasing mode setting do I know is the best/which one am I supposed to pick?

2. I can't find any section in my fsx.cfg named [bufferPools], or Usepools=1, and so on.

3. I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M series. Am I just supposed to change it to 'Usepools=0' and delete the rest of the settings (pool size, rejectthreshold), or??

Bufferpools and so on are not normally there. Some people add it, by hand, to make detail in the distance (30nm and further away) show up sooner.

Adding it with the wrong values can cause things like you describe. That's why he tried to give you correct values. Unfortunately what the right valves are depends on the specific system and on your choice. There is no one size fits all answer. Trial and error testing is the only way to find a good value.

Not having the sections is perfectly normal and won't cause any errors.

Fix your errors first before thinking of messing with bufferpools. Wrong values there cause problems.

What you describe sounds like you are using a product that's not activated. Did you buy that plane? Then ask the company where you bought it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alright phew. Then we got the FSX.cfg fixed.

However, GSX & even AES has catering trucks and stuff turn invisible too. It's not just about the plane, I can assure you.

But remember it commonly happens at the end of the flight.

It's like the buildings/plane/cars suddenly toggles invisible.

So let's be clear. All you try to add or modify at you're fsx.cfg, MUST be made with only with the original settings and no add-on. When let's say you are satisfied with smooth and frame rate, and when I say frame rate I mean something stable around 18-25 fps at least! That's because even though FSX is a '3D render' application it is not a game, does not respond the same to hardware settings as a game and can not be setup and run like a game, it is a SIMULATION. A game uses predefined local maps and controls, FSX is constantly calculating real-time changes. Do not run FSX like a 'game'!

Then you can add one by one the add-ons and try, try, try... until no errors appear and you're satisfied. You should give a read here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Inviato dal mio Sirius_QS utilizzando Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken, what he means is to uninstall all your add-ons. Then install ONE of them, and test it. Do all the things that caused problems before. If no problems appear, then re-install ONE more add-on, test that out, and so on. If it were me, I would uninstall them all then re-install the LAST one you installed first. Test it thoroughly. Do everything you can to try to make it go bad on you. If it doesn't fail in all your testing, then re-install the next newest, etc etc. This takes a while, but it isolates and identifies the trouble-causing add-on.

When you un-install, by the way, don't just go to the Scenery Library and uncheck it, or click on Delete Area. Yes, click on Delete Area, and THEN delete it from whatever folder the sim was pointed to to find it. After all that, and I mean deleting ALL the add-ons, not just one or two, make sure you shut the sim down properly, and if it were me, I'd Empty Recycle Bin, and once everything is really-really gone, reboot the PC. Not a "warm" boot either, where you just click on Reboot. Shut it all the way down, wait at least one minute, then fire it up again. I don't do "warm" reboots.

Anyway, it will be a long, and somewhat involved process, but it will be worth it in the end. :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived