As16

Nextsky has done it again. They have this new active sky program out. I just upgraded ASN to the 5.0 version and am interested to know if anyone has the new AS16, if so what do you think about it? Is it worth the $30 to change from ASN to AS16 or should I keep what I already have.

Thanks and Happy Flyin :pilot:

P.S. Remember the coffee is always on and fresh!!!

I was on the Beta test team. Been using it since May. It rocks. Rocks twice as much with the ASCA add-on.

-Pv-

Will the upgrade price stay the same forever or is it limited period?

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

I was on the Beta test team. Been using it since May. It rocks. Rocks twice as much with the ASCA add-on.

-Pv-

I have the same concern. Already invested in ASN, REX4, REX Soft Clouds.

I may need something more than "It rocks" to pay another $30.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

You asked:

"interested to know if anyone has the new AS16, if so what do you think about it? Is it worth the $30 to change from ASN to AS16 or should I keep what I already have."

As one of the people who has actually USED the product for a few months, I thought I was justified in providing an answer. You can run the TRIAL of AS16 and decide for yourself. You do not have to abandon ASN to try AS16. If you don't like AS16, dump the trial and keep using ASN. You asked me what I thought about it. I like it obviously. Is it better than ASN? Undoubtedly. Is is better than any other weather program on the market. Undoubtedly. Since you bought ASN, there must have been a reason.

You are free to visit the HiFi web site and compare the published features, promo vids and screen shots against what you expect from ASN. HiFi is not in the habit of updating their software with fluff and useless features.

Here are a few of the standouts for me personally which no one else may have the slightest interest in:

- Contains its own web server which you can connect to with a network device on your home network (smartphone, PC, tablet, etc.) which displays the plane weather gauge and flight plan details. You no longer need to run AS in networked mode to display weather on another device!

Anything which can display a web page will work. Run your sim in full screen while you have access to all your weather data without task switching. Totally rocking SHINY!

- The weather gauge now has an additional radar scan mode which displays precip just like an onboard aircraft radar. Switch back and forth between map and radar modes seamlessly.

- A dedicated texture replacement utility just for AS2016 which runs in *REAL TIME* replacing clouds and lighting as you fly. You can choose between a half dozen lighting and cloud static themes OR choose between two dynamic texture modes which draws from all the themes as the weather, season, and lighting requires. One dynamic theme is more intense while the other conserves CPU power. Never have to run an external cloud texture utility again. Special: The clouds and lighting are loaded as needed SEAMLESSLY with no blinking or flashing. You don't even know it's happening. No ground textures are replaced. The cloud library draws from over 150 new cloud textures including some of the best thunderstorm clouds you have seen in FSX.

- Needless to say, all the weather dynamics and simulation are better than ever. The cloud replacement textures are jaw dropping real. You can choose between low rez and high rez textures if you have the horsepower for it.

- Passing through dense moisture clouds produce vapor motion effects around your cockpit.

Eventually, you will want AS16 over ASN for many reasons. Might as well get the ASN-AS16 promotional price while you can.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I dumped ASN immediately after using AS16. I bought AS16 for FSX/P3D and Cloud Art. What a GREAT combination! I'm currently using the auto function of ASCA and have not seen one hint of a performance reduction during the real-time texture injections. No cloud popping at all. I haven't seen those wayward thin vertical clouds either. The wx transitions work as advertised. It's finally good to see overcast clouds going over the wind screen instead of bleeding into the VC :) There are still many things to discover about ASCA!

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Greetings all..

Here's my thoughts on AS16..

I bought Active Sky 16 and ASCA on Sunday and have spent approx 8 hours over the last two days checking it out with FSXSE.

My impressions are overall this IS a game changer for flight sim.... clouds come alive and now the skys are much more "realistic" then they've been before. Having said that If you own REX soft clouds you do not need ASCA. My impression is that REX soft clouds are more realistic than ASCA and the sky textures are also better in REX. Me.. I have uninstalled ASCA for now and going to stick with REX.

Other AS16 Pros include:

- No noticeable impact to frame rate

- Clouds now reflect sunlight/colors in varied ways

- Mist and cloud movement effects are outstanding.

- Really make high altitude flying as much or more fun then low lever sight seeing.

- Have not run into VAS issues as of yet.

Hope this helps someone and happy simming!!

D-Man

Good report D-Man, convincing it is.

Now even if you haven't run into VAS issues, what is the VAS usage?

PMDG, FTX Vector and airports and you arrive (land) with 650MB VAS remaining. If AS16 eats as little as 300mb, we will have a problem.

Good report D-Man, convincing it is.

Now even if you haven't run into VAS issues, what is the VAS usage?

PMDG, FTX Vector and airports and you arrive (land) with 650MB VAS remaining. If AS16 eats as little as 300mb, we will have a problem.

Alexzar...

To be honest I don't usually fly longer routes then 50min. KSEA to KPDX in QW757 with ORBX, FSCaptain and FSTramp all running on one computer is as VAS intensive as it gets for me. Hence I've never needed to run a VAS tool or cared to check.

Maybe someone else can chime in with better data but again... I'm sold on AS16 and REX Soft Clouds. Great combo for my flying needs/style!!

Cheers,

D-Man

Archived