Feedback for Downloads

DominicS

Hi chaps,

I've received quite a few posts of late from developers concerned by the lack of feedback given to their uploads.

As much as they enjoy creating these add-ons for you, they would really appreciate some user feedback. This type of communication is vital (good or bad) as it helps the developer improve on their work.

As members of FlightSim.com, it's up to YOU to 'give back' to the community. Simply downloading files and not giving any feedback is not...participating.

The upshot of this, is that if things continue as they are, then I fear that new uploads will become less frequent.

So chaps...if you enjoy a file, if you think it could be improved, if you think there's an issue with it, or you just want to say thank you...let the author know in the comment box under the file.

Let's get that comment section used:D

Many thanks

Dom

• 3 weeks later...
Without necessarily wishing to open a Pandor's Box, I have always been happy to feedback and have done so. Whilst on the subject, what about Neils and/or admins do something about the case where the original uploader is not contactable? This is not a technical problem. This is a management problem - the solution simply requires someone to make a policy decision about this. End rant mode.
Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Just a few thoughts.

I've been a member here a long time, the comments option is fairly new; it doesn't impinge on my d/l process (I don't notice it).

Whether I'm particularly impressed by a mod or have a problem with it, I typically email or PM the creator.

As with many games, I download anything that seems interesting. It may be weeks, months, or longer before it is actually added to the game. I can make no useful comment until I've tried the mod, and by the time I have it is simpler to contact the creator than to search through the library for an "old" download to post a comment there.

On some sites with comments on downloads those comments are rarely informative beyond letting you know how many people "commented", as opposed to the actual download count. For example, pages of posts merely containing "Thanks", interspersed with emoticon posts (whether a single happy face or multiple lines of happy faces, thumbs up, flag waving, etc.); of course there are those rare comments threads where people, including the creator, discuss the mod, ways it could be improved, incompatibilities, etc.

One site has an interesting addition - a "Thanks" button between the download tally and the comments section, clicking this adds your name to the list and increments the Thanks tally:

thanks.png

Bottom line, just my opinion, of course, a comments thread is useful when it is interesting to read.

I agree with jgf. I also end up download what I consider to be interesting, & also end up installing much later. I have also built up a great relationship with quite a few freeware developers over the years, when I have either PM'd or emailed them. I have actually become a beta tester for a few guys as well. Yes, a simple thanks is meaningful to developers.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Feedback is very helpful. Thanks for posting this thread. I'm the author of NuVersion water environment. A lot of time has went into creating it. I actually considered selling it at an affordable price, but after seeing all of the quality work that others have given away for free I realized that this is what has been keeping FS9 alive for all of these years. I decided that this could be my way of contributing to this wonderful flight sim that we all enjoy. I feel that FS9 has a lot to offer and I'd like to see it continue on for years to come.

• 2 months later...

I, like most members of the flight sim community, eagerly await the next freeware uploads on a daily basis. (I've also spent a considerable amount on payware over the years). But, like many wives complain "Honey, you don't pay me enough complements anymore" All the same, we certainly appreciate our wives; just don't tell them often enough.

Same as for freeware: We just don't tell the them how much we appreciate their efforts, and the long hours needed produce something worthy of uploading... As far as feedback goes, a lot of that already exists in the form of complaining and nit-picking on both freeware and payware products on the two main site forums. I suppose that counts as feedback too. So, kudos to all who have contributed so mightily to our virtual hobby!

• 5 weeks later...
Without necessarily wishing to open a Pandor's Box, I have always been happy to feedback and have done so. Whilst on the subject, what about Neils and/or admins do something about the case where the original uploader is not contactable? This is not a technical problem. This is a management problem - the solution simply requires someone to make a policy decision about this. End rant mode.

Hi I am also a software developer for 2004 since the launch of FSX and do appreciate constructive feedback, if the feed back is pointing out a issue with my TNW program I always work with the simmer to improve my program as many will testify. I always put my details on the end of a link or posting in a hope that I get feedback in such a way that it leads to an improvement in TNW software, sadly this is not always the case as I have quite often found out at my cost and can well understand those that do not post their details with their freeware. I know 5 simmers that have developed good software but they do not upload because of the trolls, sadly for all the simmers that are missing out. Thankfully Flightsim.com does take a very dim view and are proactive in trying to stamp out this behaviour and would recommend this site if you have any qualms on uploading

Howard TNW2016

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004916148824 (No Friends please)

Hi & good Morning from Cape Town.

I am one of Howard's very happy simmer, & i havedropped him a line to say 'Many Thanks'.

I have built up a great relationship with quite a few freeware developers, as they are the foundation of our hobby. I had also built up a relationship with the late Garry Smith, & was a beta tester for him for his unreleased Death Star project, as well as his Timor ramps & slopes scenery.

Guys, you are doing an amazing job. Many Thanks!!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I have downloaded LOTS of files from Flightsim over several years. But often the files do not include the developer's email and so it has not been possible to thank them.

I have also uploaded several repaints and the occasional scenery and it is gratifying to see the number of downloads. I am not too concerned if the downloaders do not contact me, but take it as a compliment if someone asks me for a repaint having seen my work.

So, to repeat what I have said on this site several times, Thanks to all those who have made FS9 much, much more than Microsoft ever envisaged.

• 2 years later...
Supplement with a rating system. For each file. Short user review also. The problem with this is people seem to use a review system for technical support. Look at Google Play. Same will happen here. People are people everywhere people go.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/23/2016 at 4:43 AM, old_wombat said:

Not to mention I can no longer find a Readme file for any download. Seems to me this new site was a “bare-bones” version with limited capabilities. Perhaps I’m wrong. At any rate, the Readme files were very important and normally included the information such as how to contact the author, etc.

Mitch

• Like 1