Feedback for Downloads

Hi chaps,

I've received quite a few posts of late from developers concerned by the lack of feedback given to their uploads.

As much as they enjoy creating these add-ons for you, they would really appreciate some user feedback. This type of communication is vital (good or bad) as it helps the developer improve on their work.

As members of FlightSim.com, it's up to YOU to 'give back' to the community. Simply downloading files and not giving any feedback is not...participating.

The upshot of this, is that if things continue as they are, then I fear that new uploads will become less frequent.

So chaps...if you enjoy a file, if you think it could be improved, if you think there's an issue with it, or you just want to say thank you...let the author know in the comment box under the file.

Let's get that comment section used:D

Many thanks

Dom

Many talented freeware developers have also left the hobby after getting too many:

"XYZ sucks."

"The screws on the tails are 3 mm too large."

"The fuel tank holds one less kg of fuel than it should."

"Why can't you put my registration number on every plane?"

Be careful in what you wish for.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Many talented freeware developers have also left the hobby after getting too many:

"XYZ sucks."

Jim...most of the developers we have interviewed have requested community feedback. Going by that, plus the numerous emails the team have received, I'd say that community feedback is very much warranted.

Cheers

Dom

"XYZ sucks."

I agree with you. However we can more than overcome that issue with good feedback! I'm sure it's a pain to put a ton of time into a piece of freeware and never hear people cared about it!!:(

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I agree with you. However we can more than overcome that issue with good feedback! I'm sure it's a pain to put a ton of time into a piece of freeware and never hear people cared about it!!:(

I agree and I forget and that's my bad. I was under the impression that freeware was being killed by certain people who seem to want to control everything to their own ends it seems. I am finding that it gets harder and harder to get FS9 to run the way I want it to. also the same for FSX. It is getting harder to retain my interest in flightsiming. John

It's like doing a big favor for someone and not getting a Thank You in return. Flightsim.com Rocks, as do all the developers who give their own time and knowledge unselfishly. Without each individual adding what he/she does, we as the flight sim community would never know the enjoyment that this hobby truly brings us. Thank You all for all your very hard work so that people like myself can truly enjoy this hobby.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This feedback problem is as old as the hills and is still hiding in the valleys. I made a very visble mistake in a recent FS9 post (that did not show up in my own installation) and 134 of the downloaders in the first 4 days did not tell me; happily the 135th did. Eight years ago another designer had an error in the AI of a post, and in that time none of the over 7,000 downloaders told him the AI just didn't work. When I told him he presumed that I had just misinstalled it, and his flabber was gasted when he found the error. The users just don't listen to the pleas for audience participation. Or maybe they can't read.

• 3 weeks later...
I for one really appreciate all the work freeware developers do, it is absolute magic, way, way beyond my computer abilities! In the early years of my FS experience I was to much in awe and humbled to make any comments. It actually took me a while to figure out how to navigate FS stuff on my PC let alone make comments. I would think the number of downloads a developer gets for there work would provide a lot of positive feedback. I have been a private pilot for 49 years and the opportunity to fly unusual or special aircraft that appeal to each one of us is possible in this hobby which may not be otherwise possible in reality. Thank you very much to all the Flight Sim developers!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my opinion there is no such thing as bad feedback!

Having made a few freeware airports any feedback is good feedback, and you're right!

In the 10 years I have been making freeware scenery I can count on one hand the amount of replies I have received good and bad!

Do it right first and every time!

Intel Xeon V3 1241 E3, 32gig DDR3, ASRock Pro4,

Sound Blaster Z, Gigabyte GTX 960 4 gig

• 3 years later...
For anyone who may be losing interest in MSFS-- I began using MSFS about a year after the 1st simulator was sold and I have been a year or so behind every new simulator. I never had the patience to fly long trips with heavy jets in real time but doing takeoffs and landings (set up using slew and then saving the flight) will keep you challenged if you use a busy airport with traffic. Over 20 years my wife and I have done 20 cruises and it is nice to take one of my favorite planes and revisit some of the favorite locations or even visit a place we would perhaps like to go. Autopilot use is great when you are busy but actually trying to fly with wind and weather and without autopilot presents a challenge. Night time flying using instruments is always a challenge. I would suggest doing the same flight in day time a few times first. At 75 I still do editing panels, aircraft.cfg, and make numerous short flights to favorite places. Through the years I had periods of time where I was not using MSFS daily. I never felt comfortable flying using the internet but I do think that would be fun. When I was using FS2004 I designed airports and AI flights and both are a lot of fun. I just never got back into that with FSX.

• 1 year later...
Agree. You can't expect perfection with freeware addons. Some freeware addons are so good they come close to payware such as some of the mega pack aircraft addons but they all have their own little problems and issues that I have learned to expect. I wish some developers would occasionally test and fix issues though. I'm still having issues with custom commands for opening cargo doors and window shades in some freeware addons such as the Honda jet. I've been having issues with the config file that comes with the download of that particular addon.