Feedback for Downloads

DominicS

Hi chaps,

I've received quite a few posts of late from developers concerned by the lack of feedback given to their uploads.

As much as they enjoy creating these add-ons for you, they would really appreciate some user feedback. This type of communication is vital (good or bad) as it helps the developer improve on their work.

As members of FlightSim.com, it's up to YOU to 'give back' to the community. Simply downloading files and not giving any feedback is not...participating.

The upshot of this, is that if things continue as they are, then I fear that uploads will become less frequent.

So chaps...if you enjoy a file, if you think it could be improved, if you think there's an issue with it, or you just want to say thank you...let the author know in the comment box under the file.

Let's get that comment section used:D

Many thanks

Dom

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting Dom. :pilot:

I'm trying to get more involved in the flightsim.com community, since I'm more active at another platform. But over there, as well, comment sections are rarely used. And sometimes just to request some other product, even though it took a lot of effort to get this product ready in the first place.

I know it takes effort to go back to a file listing after you used it in sim. But I as a developer like some feedback! Not only because it's just nice to receive. But if my content has a bug inside, I'd like to know asap. :)

I'll get myself more involved in the community. It would be great if the consumer simmers come hang out in the community, as well. :cool: Happy Landings!

• 1 year later...
I'm new to X-Plane forum. Unfortunately the only download feedback I have is negative. I've download numerous X-Plane 11 add-on aircraft from FlightSim.com and all of them will not load. I get error saying airfoil cannot be found. When I check the searched path the airfoil IS in the reported path. I purchased X-Plane 11 from Steam and all default aircraft work fine. I used Airfoil Maker.exe to update all airfoils to X-Plane 11 format and that did not work. Anybody have similar problems and/or suggestions?

If you're downloading aircraft ostensibly for XP11 made by aerosimgamer (or whatever the name is) they're not aircraft for XP11. They're XP8 and 9 aircraft that were simply loaded into planemaker and saved as XP11 aircraft without any work to make them properly work.

That doesn't work, period. But that's not stopping the guy (guess he likes seeing his name a lot in the file libraries both here and at other sites where he also uploads them).

SOME XP10 native aircraft will work without major work, many will not.

And for some reason there haven't been a lot of native XP11 aircraft released, and even less as freeware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you're downloading aircraft ostensibly for XP11 made by aerosimgamer (or whatever the name is) they're not aircraft for XP11. They're XP8 and 9 aircraft that were simply loaded into planemaker and saved as XP11 aircraft without any work to make them properly work.

That doesn't work, period. But that's not stopping the guy (guess he likes seeing his name a lot in the file libraries both here and at other sites where he also uploads them).

SOME XP10 native aircraft will work without major work, many will not.

And for some reason there haven't been a lot of native XP11 aircraft released, and even less as freeware.

As stated in the aircraft descriptions, the models the author uploads are Jacques Brault's models from X-Plane 8 and 9. These are carefully upgraded, whilst maintaining Jacques original work. The original developer is credited at least twice in the description.

I myself have flown the majority of these converted aircraft and (as an experienced X-Plane user of 17 years) find them to perform without error.

Also, your comment implies that the author...in your own words 'likes seeing his name a lot' couldn't be further from the truth. He is in fact a highly respected member of the X-Plane community and as such should be thanked for his efforts.

If you have issues with any of the aircraft, then please use the COMMENTS section under the aircraft description, so that you can inform the author of any problems you're experiencing. Sounding off isn't going to help your cause. This is a community hobby, and as such a degree of understanding is...required.

I too am fairly new to XP, I am slowly building up my hangar, some aircraft I got from 'File of the day' on this site.

I have commented on the ones I downloaded, some as you may know are older aircraft converted to XP11, most of them work, or at least for me they do, some I had a problem with.

Being new to XP I'm still struggling with Planemaker and how to tweak an aircraft to correct an error, so I Google or go n X-Plane.org to hopefully find an answer.

I find most of the models very good, especially in little details, note I said 'Most' some, and being honest not so good, so I delete them, no point in having a poor model just for the sake of filling the hangar.

I find a lot of the 'Tail Dragger' type hard to steer, I also like the feature of letting the AI fly the aircraft so I can admire the scenery, and I know the AI has it's faults but that too finds it hard to steer a tail dragger, so I start on the runway, take off then switch over once I'm about 3000ft or more.

Also I see some aircraft on offer to download that I don't like, nothing personal against the model maker, just that I don't like that particular aircraft.

It is each to his own, some like big iron others GA others Military and or a mix of the lot.

I've downloaded a few XP10 aircraft and they have worked fine, the odd one hasn't so like I said, I'm not in to the tweaking properly yet, so I just delete it/them.

Being away from FlightSim for some time, it's good to be back. It's also nice to see a practical simulator on the market (X-Plane 11). FSX was getting boring. Right now I'm waiting for a new joystick, limited space, and hope to get back in the air soon.

Incidentally, don't think FSX didn't have problems with modified models. They did. Some aircraft worked and some didn't, or they partly worked. You had to be careful. But, that's what it's all about. It's no easier for a commercial pilot and real aircraft.

Getting back to joysticks, I understand that there has been a change from the old rheostat controls (variable resisters). Question, is this true? I'm speaking primarily of the Gladiator MK II. According to the video and details it appears to be user friendly. And that's a good thing. You could actually work up a sweat with the old ones.

One of the biggest improvements made recently to controllers, joysticks in this case, is the switch to tunnel diodes vs the old potentiometers (rheostats). No dead zone (null zone), never gets old/dirty like pots can, thus never changes it's values nor needs cleaning, like pots can. Instant conduction on movement of the stick, and the sensitivity never changes, like pots do as they age. The curve remains constant, theoretically forever. The list of advantages is long. You still need to calibrate, so the sim's software "knows" what values the stick sends it, but other than that...

Really nice to be able to set the sim to 0 (zero) null zone, max sensitivity, and just leave it there. You need to get used to controlling the stick movement more finely, but heck it's well worth the effort.

I strongly recommend looking for a joystick that has tunnel diodes rather than potentiometers. Much better device to use for such applications.

I was a radar tech by profession, so I am relatively familiar with how they work, but this is the easy to understand version :D

Does this help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 years later...

There are some really fantastic sceneries being generated as freeware. I just started in these forums and will comment in the future as I go on. It is important to me that we do positive comments even though you may have some negative Thoughts. Be gentle and not harsh.

My biggest obstacle to downloading some sceneries are the tremendous amounts of libraries needed. I will not even try anymore If more than one or two libraries are needed as there is no easy way to ensure my libraries are up to date.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 1 year later...

I would love to provide some feedback but I can't get the demo to even download after waiting 30 minutes for it to even begin. Can you enlighten me as to what is up with this? I have a very robust internet connection consistently >200mb/sec.

Much thanks

Processor 11th Gen Intel® Core i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060

Interesting indeed. Are you certain you don't mean a Schottky Diode. These are extremely fast switching and classically a design choice for even faster switching than anything required for this application as opposed to tunnel diodes which are classically used for RF detection and mixing up to microwave frequencies. I would like to know more about the use of a tunnel diode in the application of a joy stick, where a linear control is required well below the ms timing is needed to model that of an acutal rudder movement or that of any flight control trim. Thanks

Processor 11th Gen Intel® Core i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 2060