ILS Glitch

benny335

Hi everyone, so I was wondering if I could get some help with ILS landings. I've been doing them for quite some time now and everything has been fine until I attempted an ILS landing at Blue Grass Airport. While on final using the JustFlight 757-200, just a few hundred feet above touchdown, it seemed as if I had hit "turbulence" and the aircraft started to pitch and roll and then corrected itself. Upon correction, however, the aircraft pushed it's nose down very steep, setting off numerous alarms and warnings in the cockpit. Essentially, the aircraft never recovered and I had to quit and restart the flight entirely. My first thoughts were that I had just installed a scenery pack for this airport and that maybe the approach had been messed up during the editing process or maybe it was even the plane. When I started testing it, I discovered that every time I tried to land, regardless of the aircraft or airport, it did this. Does anyone have any tips for what could be happening? Thanks!

It sounds like you did hit turbulence. Maybe there was some bad wind shear at the airport or your approach followed to closely with the aircraft that landed in front of you. Try more landings and see what happens.

Whenever I experience what you did it has always been a result of my approach being too closely behind another landing plane.

So I just finished running a few test flights and 4 out of 5 times the problem occurred. The airports included San Diego, John Wayne, Blue Grass, Los Angeles, and Bellingham. Bellingham was the only one that worked. Bellingham was also the only airport where I had an aircraft land in front of me. Could it possibly be from coming in too fast (I have noticed that the aircraft occasionally pushes the nose down pretty far when I approach too fast.) I'm just not sure what to do. Also, thanks for the suggestion MikeS369!

A small tip, as you said, few hundred feet above the TDZ, pilots normally take control for a manual landing.

If you suspect weather, try the same situation in Clear Skies mode.

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

It would help if you provided ,

1. Your approach speeds .

2. Your flap configuration .

3. Your aircraft weight and total fuel on board during your approaches .

( for weights hit "Alt" on keyboard then in menu aircraft )

The above will enable people here to give advice on approach speeds for various weights .

Approaching at hot speeds just makes a landing more of a handful .

The approach speeds shouldn't be causing the turbulence , that might be caused by a simulator setting .

Cheers

Karol

Would it possibly be the thermals being active? Go into settings and turn off the thermals which is used if flying a glider. I've experienced the same thing but I've always been hand flying it at that point to recover successfully.

Also, it could be the winds shifting. Try flying an approach, same airport, and have the wind readout displayed. I think it's shift+z. Could've been an increasing shear.

Benny,

Funny you'd mention Bluegrass today! That being one of my "home" fields I "fly" in and out of there a lot. In fact while working, I RW flew through there a lot as well.

So I decided to shoot a few ILS Touch and Goes this morning. BAD DAY TO FLY HERE!! Thunderstorm, heavy rain, winds 3-15 out of 346* and 3 mile visibility. Exactly the day to need your ILS working correctly!

So I didn't contact ATC as I knew they wouldn't allow Touch and Goes in real time IFR conditions. I shot two each Touch and Goes on the 4 approach and the 22 approach. Other than getting pushed a little sideways by the crosswind, the ILS put me right where I needed to be every time.

Since this issue has shown up at more than one airport, I suspect it is your procedure causing the problem. And as COBS pointed out, without a lot more knowledge of your load, speed, and approach we're shooting in the dark as to what your procedure error is. Check your documentation, it should give you all the info you need.

I will also remind you, as has been mentioned here, you don't normally fly to the ground with ILS. That's why you have ILS vision minimums. Normal operation is to hand fly the last part of your landing.

Rishabk97 just provided a link in another post that will help you understand "ILS" & "Autoland." I copied it here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_landing_system#ILS_categories

When you work it all out, please let us all know what you discover. That knowledge will help everyone in the future.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

That could be it dspaulding! Either way, to everyone above, let me back up. So what happens is that just before the runway's threshold, the aircraft starts to role and pitch (like turbulence), and as a result goes above the GS. The plane then tries to compensate by pushing the nose down which increases the speed and if you've got flaps at 30 and you're supposed to be at 140 kts but now you're in a nose down situation, it just screws everything up. (The 30 flaps and 140kts is in a 737-800). I've been noticing other little things that have been happening too. Like, certain keyboard commands disappearing, or AI aircraft behaving strangely. It's almost like the game is, for lack of a better word, "slipping." I don't know how else to describe it.

To give more parameters, here are as many as I can recall. The flight was from PDX to BLI in an Alaska Air 737-800. Cruise speed was 280 kts at FL280. I had the weather set to default (just for the test) so there was no turbulence. Everything went so well, that it was probably one of the best landings I've ever done. Now, switch to my next test. It was a flight from LAS to SNA. The flight was identical to the one above, except, right before I hit the minimum, the plane began to roll and pitch. Thankfully, I was able to get control of it myself but not before barely stalling for whatever reason (I had disengaged auto-throttle). I was at 130 kts with flaps at 40 for my approach.

Back to the possibility of winds changing direction, I just remembered something. In the JustFlight 757-200, I'd be on approach to whatever airport and suddenly the "wind shear" warning would sound without anything happening. So dspaulding, you could be on to something!

Alright everyone, I've figured out part of it. After turning off thermals to see if that would help, I completed four flights between PDX and BLI. While landing at BLI the first time, I ran into the problem and had to restart. I discovered that somehow, Real World Weather had been turned on (not of my own doing). So after changing the weather to fair weather, I had no problems for the rest of the four landings! So, at the very least, I now know where the mystery turbulence was coming from. Now to just figure out how the weather settings changed on their own.

Archived