Adding Autopilot to non-autopilot aircraft

Jib01

Hello,

I have been flying with FS2004 and FSX since day one. I know how to add the instrumentation to the aircraft. I have designed a module with all the autopilot switches, dials, etc. and they work fine.

the main problem I have in adding autopilot to the Aircraft.cfg is finding where to setup so the Compass where you set direction works. I always get the ability to set altitude, climb and dive but changine direction never seems to work no matter what I change in the [autopilot] area. Are there some other settings in the aircraft.cfg that control the autopilot direction of the aircraft ??

Regards

Jib01

I think I am getting close to the answer. I looked at the SDK and found some information on settings needed for the instruments to respond to direction changes. I'll post that information later.

Regards

Jib01 (really a senior member)

The SDK helps a little to do this. These areas need to be active.

I compared the flight tuning from a plane that had autopilot to one that did not. I moved the one that worked into the one that didn't and it is working now.

[flight_tuning]

cruise_lift_scalar=1.000

pitch_stability=1.000

roll_stability=1.000

yaw_stability=1.000

parasite_drag_scalar=1.000

induced_drag_scalar=1.000

elevator_effectiveness=1.000

aileron_effectiveness=1.000

rudder_effectiveness=1.000

elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.000

aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.000

rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.000

p_factor_on_yaw = 1.0

torque_on_roll = 1.0

gyro_precession_on_yaw = 1.0

gyro_precession_on_pitch = 1.0

The ones below also need to be active and set according to the SDK.

[attitude_indicators]

attitude_indicator.0=1

[turn_indicators]

turn_indicator.0= 1,0

[direction_indicators]

direction_indicator.0=1,0

These along with setting the autopilot to 1 will be required.

Regards

Jib01

I can't see what the [flight_tuning] section has to do with it, as the siim presumes a 1.00 for all the settings in that section unless otherwise set in the aircraft.cfg. The others, I can see how those affect the AP, but the flight tuning? The others, as far as I know, don't have default settings, if they aren't in the aircraft.cfg they don't exist in the plane, but the flight tuning does have default settings, so putting it in with all 1.00 settings is redundant, as far as I can see.

And yes, of course the [autopilot] section must be there. Preferably the whole thing, but at least the lines to activate it. If those are there, the rest have default settings. Best to have the Yaw Damper line too.

By the same token, I am NOT a professional dev so maybe I am totally wrong...

I do know I've seen a lot of planes without the Flight Tuning section that do have autopilots that work fine. Again, though, maybe I'm missing a trick someplace. There are AP sections in the .air file that can affect the AP too, by the way...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived