Nailing the Taxi Lines in FSX

I've seen a number of videos and read a number of lessons. I have charts of my airports (plus I can use FSCommander to see gates, taxi-ways, etc.) and, in real life, there is no yellow line to follow!

But I see many videos of people where the front wheel(s) of their plane is absolutely glued to the taxi line, including when turning. How the dickens does one do that?

It seems so easy to undershoot or overshoot the turning areas. Is there something to steer with besides pedals, twisty-joysticks, etc? Can you do "tiller" steering in FSX and if so, is it easier?

Someone else also mentioned "connecting" their plane with FSCommander while on the ground and using that system to taxi to and from the appropriate runway. I have FSCommander, but was not aware you could make their GPS work on the ground. How is that done?

What I thought might be the best tutorials all seem to involve turning on "progressive taxi." Fat chance if you're at JFK and ask the ground controller where are the yellow lines! LOL

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

I'd like a answer for that one too since I'm usually running over lights and signs and cutting corners. I guess it's a life long skill to be learned!

I still trying to land the P-51 without bouncing up and down like a Mars lander :pilot:

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

For one, if you have not got FSUIPC get it, its cheap and has some ggod features, one of which helps with wheel resistance, helps you stick to the runway a bit better. As for taxying depends on teh length of the plane. Most GA planes being so short have no problem going around corners with the from wheel glued to teh line, but jets if you notice, like trucks, dont follow the arc around crners , they have to overshoot a little to allow the back wheels clearance, if the followed the line with the front wheel, the rear wheels on in the direction they turned would be running over lights and into the grass. As forfollowing the line, best thing is to go to external view. get the frint wheel on the line, go to internal view and find a point or gauge that lines up with the line, and just keep tha tpoint on the line. Once you have done it enough times its not so hard to judge, and just takes a quick external view to ensure you have the right reference point.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

Archived