FSX and Windows10 compatability issue

TKessel

I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of months ago.

Tried to Run FSX today, and am having a challenge:

The program/app starts up ok and I am in my saved flight. But when I try to change aircraft or load another flight I'm in trouble.

I can use the alt key to see my choices for all the things that should be there, but once I select something the screen goes black and nothing happens. Once I hit the esc key, I'm back in my default flight/aircraft.

I tried running in Win 7 compatibility mode, but that didn't help me.

I seem to recall that when FSX worked in Win7, as soon as I started it, I got a message that the video display was being automatically changed to make it compatible. At least I think that was FSX: it might have been something else.

I clicked around for a while looking for ways to change the display. I think the "translucent effect" is what I need to turn off, but I'm guessing. Anyhow I couldn't find anything to make FSX work for me.

I've got an AMD Radeon 6700 series graphic card.

Thanks,

Ted

Hi Are you talking about the Steam edition of FSX ,at any rate I would make sure your graphics driver is up to date:) I cant remember all that's required but things like C++,Dot net fix ,have a search around and see what is required ,as far as being in a saved flight I assume you have the same Aircraft installed as you did with the last installation,Did you back up the folder from my documents Microsoft Simulator X files ,that is where your flights are saved You don't say what the specs of your pc are I'm not sure Which version of FSX your using But the steam version works Fine with windows 10 I can confirm that for you, no need for compatability mode,

Kind regards

Apollo

Hi Ted,

Try the following.......

Start the sim in windowed mode or start in full screen mode and switch to window mode when changing aircraft.

Also check what DX mode your are in - if DX10 preview is selected disable it and see what happens.

FYI I encountered the same problem with W10 - however only when I did a fresh install of FSX. My first use of FSX in W10 was after I upgraded with FSX already installed and I had no problems what so ever. But as I was running out of disk space I invested in a new SSD drive solely for use by FSX and did a re-install and got the same problems that you have and doing both of the above suggestions sorted it. I have always run FSX I windowed mode but when you install it, it sets full screen mode as default.

WRT the W7 message you got when starting FSX - I suspect what you were seeing was in fact a notification that windows was disabling Aero mode as FSX is incompatible with it. Aero mode is an W7 display setting that is associated with windows default colour and wallpapers themes and sounds, especially when you have selected a slideshow of background pictures that make use of such settings.

Regards

Brian

Thanks Apollo and Brian,

I don't have the Steam version of FSX. I have a lot of terrain mesh for US, roads and rivers, and a few Carenado aircraft, as well as a bit of (my own) Ohio scenery.

I switched to windowed mode and went back to windows10 compatibility. Now all is fine, and I can switch between windowed and full screen as needed, and FSX seems to be working normally, now.

Best regards,

Ted

Well that is a result then I'm really pleased that you got it sorted ,and that I might have been a bit of help,i have received plenty in the last few days, so was trying to help someone else,its a bit difficult guessing which version of fsx you had a problem with ,but nm we got there in the end:)

Kind regards

Apollo

Archived