Old dog, new tricks?

Hi all! it's been a long time since I've posted, so I thought I'd share a few...Update: while I still have FS9, lately I've been toying around with FSX Steam, and surprisingly, it's been very tame on my computer! Though I'm still having a lot of trouble figuring things out (installing panels so that they'll show up, for one! haha), it's been a pleasure to fly thus far. To those who may have seen my post in the FSX forum, thank you for your support! And I'll see where this takes me. For now, please enjoy, and feel free to leave a comment!

random01.jpg

random02.jpg

random03.jpg

random04.jpg

random05.jpg

random06.jpg

random07.jpg

random08.jpg

random09.jpg

random10.jpg

Credits go to the following:

Aerosoft (Nassau scenery)

Art Poole (Palm Beach and Bahamas airports scenery - freeware)

Alabeo and Carenado (Aztec and Navajo)

LatinVFR (Key West scenery)

More shots will be posted in my reply. Cheers!

George

Oh, for the love!

Thanks KCD! The Aztec has long been one of my favorite aircraft, and it has been so under-represented in the FS world, considering its relative popularity in the real world. When Alabeo released it, it was pretty much my catalyst for finally joining the ranks of FSX! For those of you interested in GA flying in FSX, I highly recommend it! It's a stable model, incredible visual model (expected from Alabeo/Carenado), and an overall pleasure to fly. The only drawback is its soundpack, but I invested a couple extra dollars for the Arezone BN2 soundpack, and all is well! Cheers,

George

Oh, for the love!

Thanks Kenny and Scott!

Scott: no, not as yet. Although it is on the horizon for me, for now I'm just using default landclasses along with addon scenery. I've seen that Mr Poole has redone his Bahamas sceneries for use with UTX2, so when I get it, I'll be sure update as needed. Cheers!

George

Oh, for the love!

Hi George,

One technical follow up if you don't mind - how's the frames on Nassau ? Seen a bunch of negative comments on that aspect - I'm certainly interested in it though...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

Hi George,

One technical follow up if you don't mind - how's the frames on Nassau ? Seen a bunch of negative comments on that aspect - I'm certainly interested in it though...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree! I've heard the same issue. However, with this quality I might forgo some frame rates! ;) As my wife occasionally reminds me, speed isn't always everything!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks very much guys!

To Rupert and Scott: to be honest, my framerates aren't spectacular to begin with, but in fairness, I do have a lot of my settings maxed out (I average between 20 and 27fps, which is workable at least). Sadly, the rumors you're hearing are true from my standpoint...which is surprising, given that MYNN isn't as complex an airport as, say, LHR, which Aerosoft has developed and is far more friendly to my computer. While taxiing around NAS, I tend to see 9-15fps. Granted, I did opt for all the bells and whistles in Aerosoft's installer, which can be changed. Perhaps I'll try removing the extra trees and moving vehicles to see if that helps any. A few other minor details that I'm not the biggest fan of when it comes to the Nassau scenery are:

- The color of the tiles on the terminal. Aerosoft's offering shows light aqua tiles, when in reality, they're more of a deep turquoise. It's minor, I know, but since I see that terminal fairly often, it almost gives the impression of being "cartoony".

- The transparent terminal windows. While it seems like a nice gesture, to me it appears more like one of those FS2000 sceneries. Sometimes, less is more lol. I think I would've preferred a 'simulated' (i.e. opaque blue windows) window effect, with painted details, rather than actual ones of the interior. Perhaps I'm in a minority there, but it is what it is.

- Lastly, I'm slightly disappointed in the ADE file for parking spaces. The general aviation FBO towards the southern end of the main apron (used my most local charter operators) has no parking options at all. There seemed to be quite a bit more parking available on Imaginesim's older version for FS9. Perhaps someone will tackle that in the future.

All in all, if your computer is more powerful than mine (which it most likely is), running MYNN by Aerosoft isn't all that bad, and they did do a good job recreating the airport as it appears today. The gripes I posted above shouldn't necessarily turn you off from buying it; however, I have a feeling that Imaginesim has Nassau 2016 on their distant radar. If that's the case, and if you're patient, you may want to wait for theirs.

I hope that all helps! Cheers,

George

Oh, for the love!

Very nice post, just the area I am working on right now, enjoy your post.:)

Bernardo.

There you go Bernardo. Make sure the FBO parking is open. I hate it when I can't find a decent parking spot!;)

And thanks again George!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Bernardo, thank you! I look forward to seeing what you come up with! The water in your screenshots looked positively divine, so I'm looking forward to it all! I do have a question, though: I'm pondering buying UTX-TCA, since Art Poole's scenery recommends using it...will that interfere with your scenery project once released? Cheers,

George

Oh, for the love!

• 1 year later...

If you are still monitoring this thread I have a question. I fly the Carib a lot in Fseconomy...

Just bought Latin VFR Key West. I also found the freeware called Bahamas on Flightsim. Since I don't have any other airport payware I was going to use the freeware for a bunch of other nearby airports. Have you used this freeware? I'm thinking I could just install it, then install the Latin VFR, and make sure I delete the Key West BGL's belonging to the freeware version.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Gord

Archived