Which is best. SSD or comparable non SSD Hard Disc ?

Hello (been a way a while :-) )

I have two SSD's in my FSX rig. Once for the O/S and one for Scenery and Aircraft.

I've now run out of space so I need another disc.

Searching on the internet throws up a lot of conflicting evidence to which is best SSD or tradition HD.

So which should I choose? Obvious benefits are that a tradition HD is generally cheaper and larger.

However I only need an additional 150gb for scenery.

Regards,

Ted.

The biggest difference is speed of operation, which affects loading speed of the Sim. For Scenery, the OS, the pagefile, and so on, that the sim loads and unloads as you fly, an SSD is definitely the better choice. For Aircraft, not to mention the rest of FSX, a traditional HD is perfectly acceptable. It may take a few seconds more loading the sim from the desktop, new aircraft, or whathaveyou, but if you're in that big a hurry, maybe you have started a hair earlier?

Just my opinion, though. You are going to get as many different answers as people responding, I wager :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, and SSD is faster and would be good for scenery, but to tell you the truth. If you are always installing more and more addons, then a platter would be a better choice money wise. They do make 1TB SSDs but they are super expensive.

Platter= normal HDD.

I'm running big Seagate Hybrid drives, the best of both worlds, replacing my 4-year-old 10K-RPM drives. Hybrids are not as expensive as large SSDs, big enough for my storage needs, and I'm pleased with their performance.

Archived