Newbie, One post and I have already screwed up Need help setting up computer

topsaddle

Hello, I am a green as grass newbie at this. I am building a real experimental aircraft and would like to pratice with a flight simulator. I bought Xplane 10 and it wouldn't work with my computer so I bought a Dell T3400 quad core 64 bit computer with windows 7. I obviously don't know what I am doing as the print is to small for me to read. The other problem I have is I want to fly a piper pacer and the only plane on the xplane program that is even close is a stinson observation plane. I need help

Gary

If it were me, I would watch and see when FSX-SE goes on sale, and buy that instead. It is often on sale for $5.00 to $7.49, which is a real deal when you look at it.

I would also, if you go that route, look in the library for the exact plane you want. There are any number of them.

Of course, you need a good controller, like a joystick or yoke-n-pedal set.

I'll wager Mr. Zippy will now post several links to planes :D

Hope that helps a little :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I

I'll wager Mr. Zippy will now post several links to planes :D

Pat☺

Nah! I's just suggest typing in Piper Pacer in to the Library search box and choose from there! ;) Or check out Lionheart Creations Piper Pacer.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

What is FSX-SE? (shows how little I know) I do have a joystick A logitech Attack 3 which seems overly sensitive to me. Is there a better one to get? THis is a low budget operation.

What is wrong with a Dell T3400? It has a ATI Radon HD 3800 series video card.

I figured it would be better than the dual core Dell 5150 I had.

Does fsx stand for Microsoft flight simulator X?

Is that the program to get?

Can I run the steam version?

I am a little confused about what steam is.

Flight Simulator X is abbreviated FSX

If Xplane isn't doing what you want it to do then I do suggest FSX.

Yes you can run the FSX-SE (Steam Edition)

When water boils you get steam!:eek: I personally don't use Steam, but it's like a hosting platform with a library that supports many different games and simulations.

Let Google be your guide for questions like "What is Steam".

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Does fsx stand for Microsoft flight simulator X?

Is that the program to get?

Can I run the steam version?

I am a little confused about what steam is.

1- Yes FSX stands for Flight Simulator X (the 'X' is just the fancy roman number for 10.)

The previous version was FS9 (also known as FS2004), I had it and loved it to bits but FSX is just that little bit more polished.

2- FSX is probably the most popular flight sim on the market, followed by X-Plane10 and FS2004.

3- The latest FSX version is FSX:SE (the SE stands for Steam Edition and you buy it by download from Steam), it's supposed to have a few programming tweaks that make it a tiny bit easier to install and run than the standard disk version.

Steam is basically a company that sells all sorts of games and sims by download and they're pretty well organised, I've bought several games from them.

But if you want to buy FSX on disk, the latest disk version is FSX Gold, it's what I've played for the past 8 years, but I think it's harder to get (and can be expensive) nowadays, so if I were you I'd get FSX:SE.

4- here's a link to Steam-

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

PS- I tried X-Plane10 last year, it's better than FSX in some ways, but worse in others, but overall I prefer FSX so that's what I'm sticking with..:)

'Steam'

FSX is a Microsoft game. It was originally sold by microsoft, and it is the latest version of Flight Simulator.

They created the Flight Simulator game some 20 years ago, and there have been many versions.

FS, FS1, FS2, etc etc until FS9 (also called FS2004, named after the year it came out), and lastly FSX (which is version 10, I think the X is a hint to the Roman Number for 10 wich was written like an X).

Steam, well, Microsoft stopped selling FSX a year and a half ago. They still hold production rights to changes in the main software, but they sold off the right to sell FSX.

They sold them to a company called Dovetail.

Dovetail made some minor modifications to FSX only. They added a easyer way to connect to other players and fly together. Flying like that is called Multiplayer.

The original FSX can also be used for multiplayer, and used to have such an easy connection option too, but the server that was used for that was closed down. You can still use Multiplayer and fly together, but you need to find a Multiplayer Community online and connect to that yourself.

Anyway, Dovetail sells the New edition (notice, edition, so notreally a new version) of FSX online through the Steam site.

Steam sells games, and has a forum and community you can become a member of.

FSX was improved a few times, and that way a few versions came about.

First there was FSX Standard,

Then a new version came out, called FSX DeLuxe,

Then two service Packs appeared, SP1 and SP2. They could be downloaded and still can. They are meant for fsx DeLuxe.

Lastly a Service Pack came out that was not for download but had to be bought, called Acceleration. This added the same as SP1 and SP2, but also added three extra planes, and many details.

(The extra planes are the FA18 with afterburners, The "Extra 500, and one more.)

Acceleration could be installed as an update and could be installed on either FSX DeLuxe or on FSX Standard.

At the same time a three DVD set was produced. FSX Gold.

The box contains: FSX DeLuxe (2 DVD's) and FSX Acceleration (1DVD) plus a few thin booklets, a intro guide and the basic keyboard functions.

This is sometimes referred to here as "FSX Box" or as FSX Gold/Accel)

The version that is for Sale on Steam is the same as the FSX Gold/Accel version. It has the extra planes.

One thing the Steam version does not have is the SDK. What's that you ask.

The SDK is the "Software Development Kit"

It is a set of tools that make it possible to create software that you can install in fsx.

It is needed to create an addon airport for example, very usefull if you want to try to create a gauge yourself, and many more things.

Then again, the SDK may be something you never use at all. It is definitely not needed to enjoy FSX. There are plenty of addon airports available in the library here on the site, and other library's. Same with other addons. There is a lot available. Planes, Airports, Gauges, Panels, etc. Much of the addons that were created for FS2004 also work in FSX and there are litterally tens of thousands of thing to find.

There exist also programs that add real wold weater, maps, and scenery encompassing huge regions, or even the whole world.

Everything in the library is freeware.

There is also payware addons of much of this available.

(Btw, payware or freeware says little about quality.)

lost my train of thought...

Welcome to the Forum!!!:D:D

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm guessing your avatar is your project, but I can't make out what it is. What are you building?

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

I read on the internet that FSX does not work well with Windows 7 64 bit (which is what I have) Is this true?

Well, FSX-Se on WIN7 Pro works fine, as does FS9. No trouble with either one.

By the same token, I avoid the Program Files and Program Files (X86) folders like the plague, which may help. In fact, my MSFS copies are both over on a different drive, even. Not just that they are NOT in the Program Files folders, they're not even on C:\ drive.

I also turned my UAC off soon as I got the computer. MY computer, MY files, don't try to tell me I can't access, change, or whatever, any file I want. It'd be like some outsider telling me I couldn't take my kitty to the Vet is he needed it. To me, THAT is what UAC is.

Thus, I don't have the trouble a lot of folks seem to come to the forums about. Unable to change something, add a plane, whatever.

I also ensure that while I am notified what Windows updates are available, I decide what to install and not to install, thus avoiding the one update that seemed to give the FS's fits.

Does that answer your question about MSFS and Win7?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

..I read on the internet that FSX does not work well with Windows 7 64 bit (which is what I have)

FSX runs fine on my desktop PC with Win7 64bit, and runs fine on my Laptop with Win8.1, and it ran fine on my old PC with WinXP..:)

If some people have problems it's just bad luck but can almost certainly be fixed by asking for advice on the hallowed ground of the FSX forum where the flight sim gods walk the earth in human form.

Thanks for all the information. I read on the internet that FSX does not work well with Windows 7 64 bit (which is what I have) Is this true?

Welcome topsaddle!

I believe you'll be quite happy with FSX whether old disc style or the newer Steam. I've had several computers with Windows 7 and no problems at all the FSX. I don't have Steam but as you can read here, it's apparently fine too.

IMHO:A real secret to your success and enjoyment is to not try to duplicate all the fancy screen shots and film clips found on the internet. Traveling down that road will only disappoint! Unless you want to spend endless hours with Photoshop or other editing methods you're not likely to see at home what you see with their clips.

Enjoy what you have, do little things to make it better, etc. Don't chase after screenshot nirvana. That's not what I think simming is about.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'm guessing your avatar is your project, but I can't make out what it is. What are you building?

It is a Wagabond (copy of a piper vagabond) that I call Wagzilla. Built for the big guy 6-4 and 300 lbs Tandem like a J-5 instead of side by side. Engine is a 100 hp corvair.

First a note to my list of different FSX versions.

The only edition/version that is for sale now is the Steam edition really.

The others can often be found online, e-bay and such, but that is used disks, and there may be some issues if they were used before.

Also, the asking price is usually outrageous. 200-300 dollar is no exception.

(I bought FSX Gold in the shop for 50dollar or so 5 years ago)

I am very happy with my disk version, and prefer it very much over the Steam system. I also use the SDK a lot nowadays.

But I think if you want to give FSX a try the steam edition would be the best option.

I even heard there is an SDK for another progrm, and that works seamlessly with Steam as well. I think it can be downloaded for free. But I don't know the details.

Then, did you find the File Library yet? And found the Piper for X-Plane that I mentioned?

File library:

Top of this page, click File Library (in the blue bar), and in the drop down that opens, click on "Advanced Search".

Just this once, a direct link to the file I mentioned.

Filename was: piper_tri-pacer.zip

link to it:

(must be logged in to download)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fname=piper_tri-pacer.zip

(I don't have X-Plane, but installation of addons is usually straightforward.

If you need help installing, ask, here or in the X-Plane Forum:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?11-X-Plane

)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First a note to my list of different FSX versions.

The only edition/version that is for sale now is the Steam edition really.

The others can often be found online, e-bay and such, but that is used disks, and there may be some issues if they were used before.

Also, the asking price is usually outrageous. 200-300 dollar is no exception.

(I bought FSX Gold in the shop for 50dollar or so 5 years ago)

I am very happy with my disk version, and prefer it very much over the Steam system. I also use the SDK a lot nowadays.

But I think if you want to give FSX a try the steam edition would be the best option.

I even heard there is an SDK for another progrm, and that works seamlessly with Steam as well. I think it can be downloaded for free. But I don't know the details.

Then, did you find the File Library yet? And found the Piper for X-Plane that I mentioned?

File library:

Top of this page, click File Library (in the blue bar), and in the drop down that opens, click on "Advanced Search".

Just this once, a direct link to the file I mentioned.

Filename was: piper_tri-pacer.zip

link to it:

(must be logged in to download)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fname=piper_tri-pacer.zip

(I don't have X-Plane, but installation of addons is usually straightforward.

If you need help installing, ask, here or in the X-Plane Forum:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?11-X-Plane

)

I found the file library and downloaded the pacer and a P40 warhawk. Does x plane have an automatic rudder control? I don't have rudder pedals.

Gary

I found the file library and downloaded the pacer and a P40 warhawk. Does x plane have an automatic rudder control? I don't have rudder pedals.

Wait i've lost track! Are you saying you've already got FSX and downloaded those planes into it? FSX has got Auto-rudder, but I don't know if XPlane has.

Anyway if you buy a joystick with a twist grip, the twist is for rudder in FSX and XPlane, I've used a twist stick fine for 8 years..:)

Wait i've lost track! Are you saying you've already got FSX and downloaded those planes into it? FSX has got Auto-rudder, but I don't know if XPlane has.

Anyway if you buy a joystick with a twist grip, the twist is for rudder in FSX and XPlane, I've used a twist stick fine for 8 years..:)

I have them downloaded to Xplane not FSX (I don't that that game yet) I didn't even know that they had joysticks with twist grips.

I am still having trouble with the joystick being overly sensitive. IF I blink I have done a barrel roll. I have flown the pacer in real life and the plane is no where near as sensitive as the game joystick but I don;t know how to turn down the sensitivity.

Gary

I have them downloaded to Xplane not FSX (I don't that that game yet) I didn't even know that they had joysticks with twist grips.

I am still having trouble with the joystick being overly sensitive. IF I blink I have done a barrel roll. I have flown the pacer in real life and the plane is no where near as sensitive as the game joystick but I don;t know how to turn down the sensitivity.

It could be to do with the X-Plane ingame settings, so your best bet is to get out of this 'Newcomers Services' forum and go ask in the X-Plane forum.

To find it, click on the big red FlightSim.com letters at the top left of your screen, then click the word 'Forum' and scroll down to 'X-Plane' and just waltz in and start posting, I don't think there's a bouncer on the door..:)

It could be to do with the X-Plane ingame settings, so your best bet is to get out of this 'Newcomers Services' forum and go ask in the X-Plane forum.

To find it, click on the big red FlightSim.com letters at the top left of your screen, then click the word 'Forum' and scroll down to 'X-Plane' and just waltz in and start posting, I don't think there's a bouncer on the door..:)

I downloaded a tri pacer to my 2004 century of flight game and it is overly sensitive too. Could my joystick be bad?

Have you tried 1) recalibrating your joystick IN the Sim? and

2) turning the sensitivities down in the Controls tab of the Settings menu?

If you have done #1, every time you reboot your PC at the very least, and no help, give #2 a try. It may help. If not, there are some settings in the aircraft.cfg for a plane that can help that situation out.

Just some thoughts to try...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived