Flight core game still available at MS

jandjfrench

Hi,

I just found out that the basic Flight program can still be downloaded from MS. It along with the expansions permitted by Stonelances' Flight Toolkit seems to make for a pretty sweet deal. I'm downloading on another computer right now and except for downloading at a molasses rate it seems to be working. Here's a pic:

Flight Core.jpg

And here's the link: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9800616

Jim F.

It just recently became available again withing the last week or so. One wonders if it had anything to do with the many angry people grumbling about legal action because they had not been able to download their purchased products for months........

I just happen to check out this Forum and find out I can still get Flight?

Jim, is it up and running?

What steps are necessary?

If you go to the old Microsoft Flight web page https://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/ and click on the link in the upper right corner https://microsoftflight.com/

...I get Secure Connection Failed

Yes, HyFlyer I purchased the Hawaiian pack for $19.99 and nothing else and was a little miffed that I couldn't install it anymore. If was fun to fly around Hawaii with the default planes.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hey dogdish,

That link doesn't work for me either. You probably purchased the Hawaiian pack thru Games for Windows Live so lets try that route. If you don't have the Games for Windows Live App installed Google it and you'll probably find the way to install it. Once you do and run it, and if you can remember your log in password you'll find, not only the game but the Hawaii pack as well. You can install from there. If you want to install other than the default in the GFWL screen there is a settings tab that will allow you to point the install to where you'd like. I recently went back to Flight and at Avsim I have a whole slew of posts with questions and helpful answers. Post either here or there with any problems and I'll watch and help you if I can. A lot of expansion will be available to you.

Jim F.

Thanks Jim,

I clicked on your link and had Flight running in less then 20 minutes. As you said I got that gamertag ID somewhere around here so I can reinstall the Hawaii pack.

I got FS9 and FSX installed on my killer rig and I'll just keep Flight on my internet computer since its limited on content.

Jack

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Hey Jack,

The link I posted only gave me the Flight demo (I was trying to start Flight completely fresh on another computer). I started a new GFWL account but then I couldn't download anything I purchased. So I gave up on that.

I found out that by going to XBox Live and submitting my email address I was able to get my gamertag and change my password. This was not what I was trying to do but just stumbled on it. I really recommend you try to get your GFWL stuff. But if you can't and you get Flight Toolkit I think you can get every addon that was available in Flight, plus you can convert the FSX scenery for use in Flight (assuming you have FSX). The conversion isn't perfect (yet) but at least the whole world is available in Flight. Check the Flight forum at Avsim for more info. I'm pretty sure just having the demo is enough to get you started but I'm not certain.

When I read that DTG was basing Flight School on FSX technology I decided to revisit Flight and check into the advances that were made adapting stuff for it.

Jim

Jim,

I kept trying to log into the Market Place and it said there was a problem. Then a message pops up in Windows that the Market Place is now available. So I started Flight and it said a new client was available so I got that. I was able to log in then the

"Microsoft Flight Downloading content... Please wait." started.

It was taking too long, so obviously the Flight servers are dead. So I cancelled it and logged into Market Place from outside Flight. I got the full list of every download I had ever made in Flight, including Hawaii and even the demo planes.

I downloaded Hawaii and it is now accessible :)

Now If I can get Alaska...

Thanks

Things are going well! I'm not certain but I think the following is the case. If you download the free Flight Toolkit it allows you to set two different modes of operation for Flight. In GFWL mode you can add things like new repaints of the aircraft that you have available in Flight and I'm not exactly sure what else but in Non GFWL mode you'll have acess to all the addons that were available while they still could be purchased. No charge. Flight Toolkit was created by Stonelance, a former developer of Flight for MS. I never purchased any of the aircraft that didn't have a VC but I have them in NonGFWL mode. In NonGFWL mode all of the original Aerocaches are available. The major drawback is there is no multiplayer capability.

About 2 months ago I read that DTG was basing a forthcoming simulator on FSX technology so I decided to go back to Flight and see what was happening. The GFWL servers were not working until the 25th of last month. I just kept checking as I wasn't aware of what was going on with Flight Toolkit. So I'm pretty much a newcomer when it comes to what's happening exactly. One of the tools available with the toolkit allows conversion of the FSX scenery for use in Flight including all the world airports. As you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear some of the scenery still looks like crap: unless you like gray runways in a brown or green rectangle. And it is a work in progress and I suspect that the more people that express an interest in Flight that will be an incentive for Stonlance to continue with the fantastic work he's done so far.

Thanks Jim for the heads up.

Got the Toolkit, got Alaska and the other Deluxe planes FREE. Glad I didn't pay for these when I first installed Flight a few years ago. Now at least I feel like I only paid $10.00 each for Hawaii and Alaska :cool:

Jack

I've said it before, Flight was such a great sim with so much potential. If they had given more of what users wanted, it would've blown FSX away (which was the intension.) For those who love to fly low and slow, go get the tools at FSDevelopper.com which allow you to install it, unlock all the extras, and import your FSX scenery library allowing you to fly anywhere in the world!

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

• 1 year later...

June 23, 2017

The latest I can find on FlightSim.com are these threads, which are over a year old. I last played MS Flight late in 2016 but now when I try it appears all the servers and logins are dead. I still know all my login information (UserID, password, etc.) but none of it seems to work. I had both Alaska and Hawaii and enjoyed both.

I'm guessing all of Microsoft Flight's access is now dead. Is this right? Seems a shame since I know the software is still on my computer and probably playable.

Thanks.

I've said it before, Flight was such a great sim with so much potential. If they had given more of what users wanted, it would've blown FSX away (which was the intension.) For those who love to fly low and slow, go get the tools at FSDevelopper.com which allow you to install it, unlock all the extras, and import your FSX scenery library allowing you to fly anywhere in the world!

Hi,

Access to the Games for Windows Market place has been very spotty lately. I was successful in downloading Flight and all my previous purchases to a new computer a couple of weeks ago. I had to try multiple times. It may be a coincidence but I believe I it worked after I didn't rely on any stored info but reentered my email and password from scratch. No problems starting Flight and multiplayer has been available.

Jim F.

• 2 months later...
I got FS9 and FSX installed on my killer rig and I'll just keep Flight on my internet computer since its limited on content.

Are you sure your "killer rig" will be able to cope with FS9 and FSX?

Pardon the sarcasm, but it beats me why one would need a 'killer rig" to run 'dinousaur software" ;)

Edited by RatRace

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Are you sure your "killer rig" will be able to cope with FS9 and FSX?

Pardon the sarcasm, but it beats me why one would need a 'killer rig" to run 'dinousaur software" ;)

You really think somebody would buy a computer for only two games? Do I need to make a list? Pardon my sarcasm but your not too bright are you?