Going Around In Circles

chris18p

During the last couple of days FSX has literally been sending me around the bend.

Virtually every aircraft I try to take off with goes around in circles as soon as I apply power and release the brakes. I am using 2 joysticks a Hotas X and Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I have these set up correctly so that controls are not duplicated. I have checked that the rudder is moving correctly on the aircraft in question.

As I say this has only happened in the last couple of days and there are a couple of aircraft that don't exhibit the problem which makes it even stranger. I know that there is a problem with single prop aircraft pulling to the left but most of these are twin pro. Can't remember now if I had same issue with any of the jets. Also the spin is to the right.

I am at my wits end to try and think why this has started to happen. I have also noticed that the world clock is out of sync so that I have to reset it each time to correspond with current UK time despite the clock on my PC being correct.

I was wondering if FSX has become scrambled for some reason. I am loathe to do a complete reinstall and wondered whether if I deleted the fsx.cfg file would fsx rebuild it correctly ( I have Acceleration).

Are there any debug tools I could use or a file that fsx creates that might shed light on what's happening.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I am using the same joysticks with x-plane 10 and they work fine on that so it's not a hardware problem.

Thanks

PS I am using Windows 7

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

With the aircraft that are giving you the problem on takeoff, do they taxi and make turns OK? Before takeoff do you center all of the control surfaces? Can you watch your takeoff from a chase position and check to make sure your rudder is centered?

As a last resort you can rename your FSX.cfg and then restart FSX to build a new one. Then test, even though you are back to default settings.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi chris,

I don't know of anything in FSX.cfg that could cause a problem like this. Standard.xml contains the control commands. Your observation of the time discrepancy along with the control problem sound like a problem with the saved default flight.

Jim F.

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried each joystick individually and that hasn't made any difference.

As far as I remember autopilot isn't on but will check this just to make sure.

How do I check/change the default saved flight if that's the problem. Do I just find a flight/aircraft that works OK and save that for next time???

Nice idea to stay young, doesn't work however.

Going to recheck which aircraft cause the problem i.e jet/prop in case that gives a pointer.

Will rebuild fsx.cfg as a first step if I can't resolve any other way as it seems a fsx global problem not aircraft specific. What do I lose if I go down that road??

Just a thought, if I went to control panel would that give me the option to repair rather than uninstall? If all else fails would I have to do completely fresh install, how does that work with activation on the same PC???

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

Hi chris,

I couldn't figure out why anyone would suspect the FSX.cfg as causing your problem but then remembered that this is where the default flight is referenced. If the problem was with the default flight deleting FSX.cfg would fix the problem but it would be rather like using dynamite to kill that little ol' mouse.

To eliminate the default flight as the culprit either choose a default aircraft and make sure the autopilot is turned off or choose something like the ultralight that doesn't have an autopilot and press semicolon to bring up the Save flight screen and check the box at the bottom to save as Default flight. I've specified a default aircraft because some addon aircraft have aircraft.cfg files that reference an autopilot even if the aircraft doesn't have one and then there would be no way to turn it off if, in fact, it was on. To be on the safe side restart FSX, choose the aircraft and location where you had the problem and see if it's fixed.

Jim F.

Does this only happen with single or multi engine birds?

Is it possible your default flight is a multi-ening with one shut off, so no thrust? Or maybe you have the default flight set to use throttle on only one engine?

To check the first problem, just look at the instruments. Does one engine look dead/off? Alternatively, when you advance your throttle control, does only one engine speed up? Either prop or jet, it would be pretty obvious...

If one engine is "off" you can hit ctrl+E to start it, or run through it's normal start-up procedure.

If the throttle is selected for only one engine, hitting E then 1+2+3+4 in a rapid sequence cures the problem.

Just a couple thoughts. I've had that trouble myself. More often than not, it was the throttle situation.

Hope that helps.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

We used to do that often during Night Fam.1s when the Dodgers were playing at night. ;) Fly in circles for an hour or so with the ADF radio tuned to the radio coverage of the game. Then return to base and shoot a Touch and Go or two. That usually equals the 2 1/2 hours a Night Fam.1 was supposed to take.:cool: Of course you had to keep your eyes open. There were often other GA and military planes doing the same thing!

As far as why that would happen in FS, I'd say it almost would have to be a feature of your default fight setup. However, I've been wrong before!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

As far as the time correction. Set up a default flight in your time zone. Now, the problem with the plane going in circles. Are you using FSUIPC or just FSX for your controls. Make sure you check your calibration using the flight control program that came with the controls. Check also the FSX calibration. And last check the FSUIPC settings, if applicable. Also if you are using FSUIPC make sure to disable controls in FSX. One other thing to check, do you have auto rudder enabled in FSX. If not, enable it and see if the problem persists.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Archived